Hands On Impressions - Puyo from Gamekult (French)

Currently playing
SupCom FA, Rocket League, Football Manager, VF5, Myst-Riven
Puyo, the editor-in-chief of Gamekult.com, is known to have enjoyed the games on Dreamcast at the time and backed €100 from his own pocket in Kickstarter. He played a 15-minute demo of Shenmue 3 and left disillusioned. He gave his impressions in many videos. Here's a recap.

Video 1: https://www.gamekult.com/emission/desempare-puyo-livre-ses-impressions-sur-shenmue-3-3050818175.html
"I was not really excepting this. What you saw in the trailer is not Shenmue 3 yet. I think the trailer was a hint of what the game could eventually be in the end. The demo was a WIP PC build. I was told the demo was closed to the final version with only some polish to do. The truth is that, one more year delay is needed, I really don't know man... (you could read his sadness on his face).

- We really feel we're in China, you can finally talk to Shenhua, there are different activities... but I felt disheartened by what I saw: exploration, NPCs interaction, the dojo... nothing was ready.

- While Ryo felt rather... modelized, the NPCs looked like they came from 2002. [begins to be irritated] That's it, I think it's the main problem of the game. It's a 2002 game sold in 2019. Everything looks a bit artificial, a fake open-world and very limited. And... (looked annoyed again) it's just not working out right.

- (About the combat) There's no longer the inierta weight typical of VS fighting, the energy you could feel when you hit in Shenmue 1&2. [...] The typical postures of Ryo, the typical sound when you hit the AI are still there but it isn't immersive because it's too stiff.

- You need to perform some QTE to execute some special moves. The sparring option teaches you the right timing to learn the special moves.

- It's hard to imagine the game will release in November. Whatever I say, I know these words are not important because you'll play the game anyway and we understand you. Somehow, we are all fans of Shenmue because the game has shaped our minds. Unfortunalely, we need to lower our expectations. For backers, it hurts even more... but well, that's how it is. Shenmue 3 exists and it is kind of miracle. But it's sad to see the game in a convalescent state. We hope the game looks like closer to our dreams... but it's going to be complicated.

Video 2 https://www.gamekult.com/emission/l...3-est-disponible-sur-gamekult-3050818171.html
- I don't know whether the monitor was badly set or they purposely reduced the resolution to reach a stable frame rate but I felt the picture was extremely blurry/messy.

- The NPC faces were way worse than those we saw in the trailers. Even in the screenshots, you could notice way more detailed faces than the ones I saw in the demo. When you're wandering off the village and seeking for the different activities, you're facing kind of "cardboard" NPCs (note: I'm not sure if it's literal or ironical meaning), oddly stiff behind their stands. It was lifeless, it made the experience disembodied.

- We didn't expect such stiffness in moving animation or interface management. The interface looked like a placeholder as it felt either dated or unnatural. The interaction was quite odd. In the low-right corner, there's a kind of "(inaudible word)" to indicate the possible interactions. To validate in a menu, you have to use the d-pad instead the stick. So it was oddly confusing.

- The demo zone was a confined space and there was not much to do. About the open world design, you couldn't really move outside the predefined pathes and bridges.

- The experience felt a Dreamcast game but Shenmue 1&2 were better. The game is not finished. [Question to him: Do you think a delay is necessary?] I do. From what I saw, it would say it's obvious. Unless a miracle over the two or three next months...

Video 3 https://www.gamekult.com/emission/g...des-jeux-japonais-a-l-e3-2019-3050818177.html
"Yu Suzuki told me the development is almost finished"

"Wait & see, it was only a preview. I think YSnet will get a lot of feedback. Maybe the game will be delayed. Tbh, I think a new delay is likely to happen."

Last edited:
He is the only one so far that pointed out that the game constrains you to a walkable path ?
Do we know if the demo is a full zone or if it's a bunch of self contained zones ?
BTW all the french reviewers seem to be overly dramatic.

"french reviewers seem to be overly dramatic "

Romain Mahut from Gameblog made a good preview of the demo
He is a Shenmue Fan
he says it felt like a shenmue game

Usually finished models including npcs and their animations tend to be the last things to be added. I saw this with the kingdom come deliverance project.

Not really understanding this NPC model talk. We literally saw the b-roll footage and most NPC's were fine. Nothing that was incredibly terrible especially when comparing to some NPC's in Yakuza 0. It just seems like there are some extreme expectations set on this game.

Back