Has anyone beat chai in the arcade on the newly released Shenmue I?

I have and did on both original and re-release. For some reason I had more difficulties with re-release but key is to train to maximum crawl cyclone and set it to left bumper and dodge and spam that attack when Chai is in range.

?? I KNEW it was harder this time! It's like he got an upgrade or something. I'll try that out. Thanks.

?? I KNEW it was harder this time! It's like he got an upgrade or something. I'll try that out. Thanks.

For some reason I kept having more issues/battling the camera in combat in this playthrough plus using the PS4 controller just felt different. It should be noted I used dpad for combat all way through so that might also help especially pulling off tight combos.

For some reason I kept having more issues/battling the camera in combat in this playthrough plus using the PS4 controller just felt different. It should be noted I used dpad for combat all way through so that might also help especially pulling off tight combos.

The Dpad is a must, it's also alot easier to navigate ryo around town with it aswell.

Beat him first try this time through. Always used to take me at least a couple tries if I bothered. Just train crawl cyclone up and spam it.

Are there good ways to beat him without cheesing him with the same move?

Yeah I did. Spammed trample kick and crawl cyclone. Took longer than the originals though

I haven't gotten to this point in the re-release but certainly in the original I found demon drop more reliable than crawl cyclone.

I covered this in another topic, I'll report back once I've tried it out in the re-release.

I do, in a 2015 topic I boldly claimed I could it do it without being hit, a feat I attempted unsuccessfully and never proved. :p

This is my best effort, I take 3 hits in total, all of which are easily avoidable.

It's achieved by spamming demon drop repeatedly, I did something similar with mud-spider before but didn't find that as effective.

I'm almost sure with enough attempts I would have made good on my claim (honest! :eek:) but there's a long unskippable annoying cutscene ("Me? Work? For Lan Di-sama? Heeeggh... that's my dream!) that I couldn't bring myself to sit through more than a handful of times.

I'll definitely give it another try when I play through the re-release. (y)

Last edited:
Does it? That would explain why I'm feeling the combat is 'looser' than I remember. I keep inputting moves but they don't register.

Yeah it's easy to prove/test. Try the QTE title (not excite) in the arcade, you'll find yourself hitting buttons twice or holding them down for half a second when you realise you're not missing prompts, the game is randomly ignoring button presses. Play Space Harrier and mash the fire button and you'll find you can't maintain constant shooting, it'll keep having gaps when it ignores a button press. Seems to be a game wide issue. I'm on PC but could be platform wide.

Yeah it's easy to prove/test. Try the QTE title (not excite) in the arcade, you'll find yourself hitting buttons twice or holding them down for half a second when you realise you're not missing prompts, the game is randomly ignoring button presses. Play Space Harrier and mash the fire button and you'll find you can't maintain constant shooting, it'll keep having gaps when it ignores a button press. Seems to be a game wide issue. I'm on PC but could be platform wide.

I'm on PS4 and the controls have been responsive for me.

Yeah it's easy to prove/test. Try the QTE title (not excite) in the arcade, you'll find yourself hitting buttons twice or holding them down for half a second when you realise you're not missing prompts, the game is randomly ignoring button presses. Play Space Harrier and mash the fire button and you'll find you can't maintain constant shooting, it'll keep having gaps when it ignores a button press.
I'm on PS4 and the controls have been responsive for me.

Might just be a pc issue then!

At least the "Save Anywhere" feature is there. Now we can save the game right before entering the arcade.

Beats the hell out of always coming all the way from home to the arcade if Chai beats you.

^^^This, a hundred times over. Dude, the new save feature in S1 alone has greatly improved the gameplay for me.

I actually never spammed any single move when I beat chai. Found it easier to max out all my leg moves by that point of the game. Made the fight easier to just play normally.

Finally beat him, I tried assigning crawl cyclone to the insta button but it wasn't working during the fight. Had to rely on the old reflexes, slapping his attacks away waiting for his body to turn and them hitting him with random special moves I had made stronger. Got down to one ball of life but made that comeback!

Are there good ways to beat him without cheesing him with the same move?
Dodge and throw/elbow assault always worked well for me. I do like to use the crawl cyclone at certain points where he's kind of far away from me because he usually walks right into it... mud spider can work well when he's close/jumping around...

He seems to be tougher to me too. He took an unnatural amount of very highly trained Crawl Cyclones and Elbow Assaults and Darkside Hazukis until he finally stayed down.

Back