Has anyone got Shenmue III to launch through Steam … with Dinput support and Steam overlay?

The blessed day has finally come and unfortunately Shenmue III still doesn’t support Dualshock 4 controllers natively. With the backer demo that wasn’t an issue, you could just launch the .exe through Steam and get proper DirectInput and Steam overlay support.

Unfortunately that doesn’t work anymore, launching the exe by itself just opens a black screen for me. You either have to launch it directly through the Epic store or via the url “com.epicgames.launcher://apps/Pepper?action=launch&silent=true” (via a link, cmd, bat,…).

I tried adding various things to Steam to get it to launch. I tried a link with the mentioned URL and I made a batch-file that launches the URL and coverted it to an exe. In both cases that game launches, but without detecting my Dualshock 4 and without Steam overlay support.

The “—EpicPortal” launch argument on the Shenmue3.exe doesn’t work, apparently that’s a trick to launch certain Epic store games directly with the exe.

I use the DS4Windows mapper for now, but that one interferes with various other games that I launch directly through Steam. Has anyone found a solution for this?

I tried this as well. It opened for me, but as you said, just a black screen. Just decided to plug in the Dualshock 4 with the cable instead and that works fine. I'll probably play with it a bit more tomorrow to get it wireless, but not that bothered being plugged in atm :D

Honestly, I haven't even thought about trying it wired.
Sure it's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to get it integrated on Steam somehow :grinning:.

I also got the black screen and I have a crappy controller that's not compatible with EGS so I added the EGS launcher itself as a non-steam game and launched the launcher(lol) through steam and now I'm able to use my knock-off without any problems.

Are you sure the game doesn't support DS4 natively? I used my DS4 for the backer demo without any extra software and whilst it still displayed Xbox style button prompts, the game controlled absolutely fine. I'd find it really odd if they changed this in the full version.

Are you sure the game doesn't support DS4 natively? I used my DS4 for the backer demo without any extra software and whilst it still displayed Xbox style button prompts, the game controlled absolutely fine. I'd find it really odd if they changed this in the full version.

I can try it with a USB connection when I'm home, but at least in wireless mode it never worked for me.

Back