Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Tekken 7 (always Tekken 7)
PSN
danmann861
Steam
danielmann861
Here's hoping III sells well enough to make IV justifiable. Ah who am I kidding, even if that doesn't happen, we'll still be here 20 years later asking "Where's Shenmue IV?" :D

Here's hoping for the best. And here's hoping we get to IV sooner than 20 years later.

Shenmue III better do passable... With the uncertain reviews and trash-talking Steam fanboys.. It's an uphill battle. But we made Shenmue III happen... So bring on IV!

It'll be finished. Will it be another game? We all hope so, but I think there's a proven fanbase present to justify Yu finishing the story via some medium.

We tend to look at things too objectively(i.e. review scores, etc.) and utilize that to speculate on the potential future of the series.

There are numerous series' out there that have innumerable sequels despite being not that great(who the hell keeps buying all those Atelier games??)

Yu has made comments about Shenmue IV even in his messages at launch. Couple that with Cedric's comments, Sega launching 1+2, an established team, established publisher, established funding, I would say our chances of seeing Shenmue IV are astronomically higher than III used to be.

Even with DS and Shibuya productions sinking money into it, the KS had to have taken some heat off breaking even, and Yu Suzuki definitely makes it sound like Shenmue 4 is a possibility in some form.

I want a kickstarter announce in the E3 of Google 2034 of Yu Suzuki's grandson to make Shenmue IV real

I may have said this in another forum but shouldn’t the startup development for Shenmue 4 be a lot cheaper since they have the overall system down now? So couldn’t they accomplish much more with the same budget they had for Shenmue 3? Sorta like they did with Shenmue 2 after the groundwork from the first Shenmue?

I may have said this in another forum but shouldn’t the startup development for Shenmue 4 be a lot cheaper since they have the overall system down now? So couldn’t they accomplish much more with the same budget they had for Shenmue 3? Sorta like they did with Shenmue 2 after the groundwork from the first Shenmue?
Yeah, Yu Suzuki said the same thing back during E3. Its likely, even after finishing up the DLC I can see them already working on Shenmue 4 behind the scenes, even if there's no publishing partner.

Not holding out hope, but I wanna believe. I'm still treating 3 as though its the last game we are ever gonna get though.

It should be yes, but its still a matter of getting funding at all. Like it still needs a sizable amount of cash and I think ideally we all want the game to be a higher budget than 3 anyway to hopefully give it better animations and more polish. I do worry though if reusing assets are gonna be as viable given that the next game has to be next gen most likley if we get it.

Yeah, Yu Suzuki said the same thing back during E3. Its likely, even after finishing up the DLC I can see them already working on Shenmue 4 behind the scenes, even if there's no publishing partner.
Why wouldn't there be a partner, didn't Deep Silver invest in 3? It means all that work is already there. BTW instead of talking about finishing it in some form, I say reuse everything. They now have all they need for the 4th. I'm playing, Ryo does have facial animations, so do some others. It's more of a matter that they again wasted too much time on drawers, even more time on drawers, and less on the more important parts. If he keeps to the story itself, and the fighting, he sure can finish at least the 4th game.

Shenmue III better do passable... With the uncertain reviews and trash-talking Steam fanboys.. It's an uphill battle. But we made Shenmue III happen... So bring on IV!
Steam fanboys are crying about Ancestors, on the Ancestors Steam forum, while 99% are there playing it. Showing them to be shallow as heck. Same with Shenmue 4. If Epic really backs Shenmue 4 at the start, it might win over even many of those.

I'm hopeful. Sales and profit will lead to Shenmue 4.

They need to be content with reusing non main story NPCs by giving them different hair. I'm contradicting myself from earlierthis morning, but I just want a Shenmue 4, and not in some form. There's no reason, it's already there on Unreal 4, it's much easier according to many devs using it to just worry about the game with it. If he doesn't go overboard, he can do it easily.

I'm hopeful. Sales and profit will lead to Shenmue 4.
I see freaking bee simulators, for 49.99 no less, I see stupid reuse of the same crap with almost the same gameplay every 2 years. This has to sell well, it's a breath of fresh air. It's not that it's perfect, it's just that if they try bits of it, they'll see how much more an adventure/RPG can be. I hope YouTube does it's job on that. This was nuts, I got into pail toss, and it brought back that fun feeling in games, I strated getting the new fighting system, fighting my own slow fingers, but then I snapped off these same moves at the NPCs, and it was fun, more fun than anything in Odyssey, or Witcher 3, or so many others. Someone with better English than mine has to explain that on YouTube, show it, and explain it.

I see freaking bee simulators, for 49.99 no less, I see stupid reuse of the same crap with almost the same gameplay every 2 years. This has to sell well, it's a breath of fresh air. It's not that it's perfect, it's just that if they try bits of it, they'll see how much more an adventure/RPG can be. I hope YouTube does it's job on that. This was nuts, I got into pail toss, and it brought back that fun feeling in games, I strated getting the new fighting system, fighting my own slow fingers, but then I snapped off these same moves at the NPCs, and it was fun, more fun than anything in Odyssey, or Witcher 3, or so many others. Someone with better English than mine has to explain that on YouTube, show it, and explain it.
I get what you're saying. I've spent hours in the arcade for example playing all the games, ages on lucky hit and capsule games.

Most of all I've trained a shit load.

What stands out for me is this is a game that doesn't hold your hand. Avoiding spoilers but as an example, I was hunting for a specific clue following a notebook entry, so thought I need to go to place X to see if its here. New games it's way point after way point

I think Shenmue 4 is likely due to the Epic deal in all honesty. I don't see Shenmue 3 selling well at all but for some reason I see us getting a 4. 5 and 6...no way. Either way if 4 becomes a thing it needs to definitely address several issues with 3 to stand a chance critically.

I think Shenmue 4 is likely due to the Epic deal in all honesty. I don't see Shenmue 3 selling well at all but for some reason I see us getting a 4. 5 and 6...no way. Either way if 4 becomes a thing it needs to definitely address several issues with 3 to stand a chance critically.
Doubtful, the epic deal likley went straight into deep silvers pockets but that wont particularly motivate the game getting a 4th if it still doesnt sell. Shenmue 3 will most likley make back its money. But it had absurd handicaps and unless it sells well enough to prove it can make back 10-15 million bucks worth, its probably not getting any help for 4.

My only hope is based on the now already available technical foundation with the engine and assets so the development wouldn‘t need nearly as much time and money as it did now, I don‘t think the game will generate much of a profit. It will be interesting to see if Koch Media/Deep Silver will stick with the franchise, I still believe their (financial) support made it possible that the environments in Shenmue 3 are now so large and detailed, despite all the Epic controversy.

Let‘s hope for the best, some of the tests are way more forgiving and positive about the game than I thought, maybe this will show in sales.

Last edited:
Back