Here's hoping...

Shenmue IV is mentioned in something recently..I don't know if it was the credits in III or where I saw it, but it was there I know.

He also talks about the journey ahead in his thank you message. It could be about III, but he and Cedric have both expressed optimism that IV will happen.

I can see 4 happening without much difficulty so long as 3 isn’t a complete flop, which I don’t think will happen. But yeah, 5 and 6 have me more worried. The fourthwill have to pick up momentum to really make a profit.

I’d really rather him focus a lot on advancing the story in 4 and complete the series with 5. That would make the pitch for 5 easier with the “This is the final game, just let me finish the story” bit. A sixth Shenmue is a complete dream imo. Only way that could happen would be in he really knocks 4 out of the park.

Shenmue IV is mentioned in something recently..I don't know if it was the credits in III or where I saw it, but it was there I know.

He also talks about the journey ahead in his thank you message. It could be about III, but he and Cedric have both expressed optimism that IV will happen.
OK thanks! I haven't beaten the game yet, but I have my fingers crossed hoping that something cheeky is in the credits. "The Story Continues in Shenmue IV..."

I'll now be going dark again until I've beaten it.

I'm holding out hope that Yu and team announce work having begun on Shenmue 4 by next E3 at the latest. They should just use the Shenmue 3 engine and move forward from there.

I too think the series should end at 5; the only issue is that if we are 40% through the story, he may have to compress things a bit, to squeeze the rest into 2 games (though admittedly, 1 was an entire game for like 7% of the story lol).

If IV happens (and I really think it will), I feel it will be another II; be even bigger knock things out of the park, have even more varying gameplay, locations and characters and it will dredge up the biggest of the story thus far.

Sega needs to get involved and pick up the portion that came from Kickstarter. Add Deep Silver’s portion, Epic’s if necessary and Sony’s publicity and we may be golden.
Epic works fine to play it, I'd say it'd be a small word of thanks for help with Unreal Engine. I've noticed it's those that used it for their small budget games that do exclusives with them. Let them do another exclusive, drive the Steam heads nuts, but make it happen.

I think capping the series with #4 might be the best way to ensure a fully budgeted Shenmue IV. Thinking there are enough customers out there to make another three Shenmue games seems a bit naive to me, I'm afraid. Part of the draw to Shenmue III was the 18-year wait. You're not going to easily build that kind of hype & momentum again.

I'd also like to see Suzuki work on something new with Shenmue out of the way. I know it's going against Suzuki's 'original vision,' but there's got to be some kind of compromise.

are you thinking of this?

Thank you Yu Suzuki and thank you Shenmue community. We have come a long way but we still have a long journey in front of us. Yu Suzuki has vowed to never give up on Shenmue and I know the Shenmue community is always down for the cause. I hope everyone is ready for Shenmue 4.

Thank you Yu Suzuki and thank you Shenmue community. We have come a long way but we still have a long journey in front of us. Yu Suzuki has vowed to never give up on Shenmue and I know the Shenmue community is always down for the cause. I hope everyone is ready for Shenmue 4.

Saw this in the other thread, but it's wroth repeating: HOLY SHIT!

Shenmue IV more or less confirmed!

Saw this in the other thread, but it's wroth repeating: HOLY SHIT!

Shenmue IV more or less confirmed!

I'm not bragging but like I've been saying that successful Kickstarter caught everyone off guard. I'm almost certain that Shenmue 4 will be confirmed depending on how successful Shenmue 3 is will determine what type of game we get. IMO

Last edited:
I've just read a spot on review on Ign Japan, and then a horrible one on Polygon with many idiots commenting. I think Suzuki needs to really think about rewriting the 4th to do a recap of what he might have wanted in between and make a final game. I personally love S3, but so much negativity from those just replaying 1&2. Thanks SEGA for not implementing a simple wait option in the first one on consoles. I bet anything it turned most off I saw commenting on it there. Plus that same BS about not wanting an adventure game in 2019. How dare they do what their stupid Witcher3 did with the red light on from an amulet to look for clues. Shenmue fans deserved better? There should have been blue lights on clues? What a moron writing the review, what a bunch of spoiled rotten idiots adding their comments.

I hope S3 sells because of enough true fans, who don't give a flying fuck about reviews, or launchers it is on. But Suzuki better understand what he's up against in 2019. He nixed bits of S2 on the ship, he can nix some bits that would have been in the 4th. No one would even freaking know. S4 has to be it. It'll not be easy even getting the 4th now. I wish this was out in 2010 or so. All that said, it's so much better than so many others recently. Polygon site readers really deserve more. The longer Suzuki takes to reinvent the bike, the harder it'll be to get it to happen in my opinion. Reuse all from S3, ignore the graphics comments, get the story finished. Just add a few throws/holds, and animation that exists universally for NPCs. It's not hard if it's in a universal engine. I did some modding for Dragon Age. If the scripts only need a drop down box to be added, it really simplifies things.

I hope again that many people don't read Polygon, and actually got to see the real fans playing on YouTube. I still can't believe I've read what I've read, but I should have expected it.

I've just read a spot on review on Ign Japan, and then a horrible one on Polygon with many idiots commenting. I think Suzuki needs to really think about rewriting the 4th to do a recap of what he might have wanted in between and make a final game. I personally love S3, but so much negativity from those just replaying 1&2. Thanks SEGA for not implementing a simple wait option in the first one on consoles. I bet anything it turned most off I saw commenting on it there. Plus that same BS about not wanting an adventure game in 2019. How dare they do what their stupid Witcher3 did with the red light on from an amulet to look for clues. Shenmue fans deserved better? There should have been blue lights on clues? What a moron writing the review, what a bunch of spoiled rotten idiots adding their comments.

I hope S3 sells because of enough true fans, who don't give a flying fuck about reviews, or launchers it is on. But Suzuki better understand what he's up against in 2019. He nixed bits of S2 on the ship, he can nix some bits that would have been in the 4th. No one would even freaking know. S4 has to be it. It'll not be easy even getting the 4th now. I wish this was out in 2010 or so. All that said, it's so much better than so many others recently. Polygon site readers really deserve more. The longer Suzuki takes to reinvent the bike, the harder it'll be to get it to happen in my opinion. Reuse all from S3, ignore the graphics comments, get the story finished. Just add a few throws/holds, and animation that exists universally for NPCs. It's not hard if it's in a universal engine. I did some modding for Dragon Age. If the scripts only need a drop down box to be added, it really simplifies things.

I hope again that many people don't read Polygon, and actually got to see the real fans playing on YouTube. I still can't believe I've read what I've read, but I should have expected it.
So Yu and us fans should get a rushed story and game because some people are negative about Shenmue 3? I don't agree with that at all. To me, Shenmue is about the journey, and Ryo still has a way to go in his training, to skip all that just to get this series finished to please some negatively wouldn't be right. I'm hoping for at least 5 games. With it now being on PC sales targets can still be hit in the long run since its on a digital store at all times, not just for one generation of a console, sales will also get a spike in a years time when it comes out on Steam. I'll be purchasing a Steam copy on day 1 to show my support as will many other Shenmue fans, along with the people who have waited to not purchase it on Epic. Shenmue is in a lot safer position then it was in 2000/2001.

It's worth noting that Darksiders didn't get spectacular reviews, especially III, but has a fourth entry on the way. It didn't burn up the charts, either if I recall.

I think IV will happen, honestly. We are in a far better position than we ever have been in the last 18 years.

The question will be if it ends up on PS4 or Yu moves onto the PS5, which isn't very far away.

It's worth noting that Darksiders didn't get spectacular reviews, especially III, but has a fourth entry on the way. It didn't burn up the charts, either if I recall.

I think IV will happen, honestly. We are in a far better position than we ever have been in the last 18 years.

The question will be if it ends up on PS4 or Yu moves onto the PS5, which isn't very far away.
As long as it's on PC, I don't mind either way. As far as what you said, all my hopes are in that. Reality is reality though. I've just had insane fun in the Rose Garden. Better than anything in 1&2. Better than any arcade fighters I've seen minus the damned throws missing. This better come out, and not in some form. It has to be more of this form. And people better grow up, and support platforms, and publishers that are helping this exist on PC. Their pledges wouldn't have done it. Overwhelming amount went to PS4. Steam would steal 30% off of even those meager donations. It would do zero to help this come to PC. Zero.

Back