How do you feel about actors being scanned in game?

?

• I like it

• I'm indifferent

• I hate it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not gonna lie, I hate it. As much as I loved DMC5, I feel like this soured the experience for me more than anything. It's even worse for me in the case of Death Stranding because it's an actor I sort of recognize from hollywood.

I see in two ways,

1.) As a parody/easter egg it's a welcome gesture from me.

2.) As the basis of a game's plot/subplot characters? I hate them. This is why I can never get really attach to Movie chars too much, cuz it feels like all my fav movie roles have same face(played by re-occuring actors) across them all. Also a huge factor why I love animated movies more...it feels intimate and display good artistic vision design wise.

Do you dislike the scanning because you prefer handmade animations or do you have a problem with recognizable actors in games?

As far as actors being in games is concerned, I love Iwao Hazuki whom I clearly recognize as Hiroshi Fujioka, aka Segata Sanshiro.

I also liked the easily recognizable Beat Takeshi's performance in Yakuza 6.

This face scanning thing also seems to have worked perfectly fine for Hellblade but afaik that girl was pretty unknown before she did the game, but the scanning was a perfect tool to convey the protagonist's emotional state.

I guess I don't mind the occasional big actor being thrown in, as was the case with Fujioka and Takeshi Kitano but if a game had too many recognizable actors' faces in it, I guess I would find it annoying.

I won't have a problem with Death Stranding, however. I've never noticed Norman Reedus as such a big actor before. In fact I didn't even know him. ? To me, he will just be the Death Stranding guy. I do recognize Guillermo del Toro however.

Love it. DMC5 looked amazing, in part to the technique they used (plus the amazing detail and animations on each character). So I certainly had nothing against it there. Likewise, Death Stranding doing it is perfectly fine with me, well that and Mads looks so damn badass in his clips so far, so I can't see what zany adventure Kojima cooks up this time.

Oh, and Yakuza. That's been using likenesses and face scanning for years, and while its sometimes caused a couple of problems (Tanimura and Hamura say hi) its just a really cool feature in my eyes - Beat Takeshi was a huge get for the series, even people who were not Yakuza fans were talking to me about this inclusion, and he was so well done in the game. Then you have Taki's Hamura, who was amazing, it still hurts a bit that he was changed in newer versions as he sold that character so dam well, and that smirk of his will never be as good with the new face they used.
All of Dojima's three head goons inn Yakuza 0 were based on likenesses from Japanese movie stars and it was so cool, especially Kuze (who was cool for so many reasons to be fair).

And to balance it out, Kiwami 2 has the worst use in the replacement Takashima. I mean, not the actor, he's great. No, its miscasting him for this particular character - his personality and backstory is that he's a up and coming YOUNG head of Omi. Look at him in the PS2 game, his model reflects that. Now look at him in Kiwami 2, he looks... old. Well, older for sure. Certainly not young... just a little bug bare with that game. Otherwise the series has had a solid track record with them.

Only issue (in Yakuza) with doing this is that it means characters are basically one and done. If you look at the upcoming RGG7 you notice that only 3? (or 2, I forget) characters are using face scan, and for sure you can guess the two (or three) characters almost assured to not make it through the end of the game alive! I'm glad they are moving away from it a bit though, as I want Ichiban's cast to come back for sequels, not just be one and done characters, plus it helps distance them from a Hamura style incident again.

I can't say I have an issue with this, obviously it will be used as a way to push a certain property with a renown name but if the actor involved can bring a brilliant performance to screen and are involved with all the motion capture for that I don't see the harm. If though, the game creators have a character scan and don't involve that actor beyond reading the lines then I'd rather they not bother - I see it as a full commitment.

Indifferent, but I don't like how it's conditioning some players to expect that level of quality uniformly across games of many types, budgets, and art styles.

Shenmue is a series that could never exist if this was the norm with few exceptions. Or at least not with an extensive cast of unique NPCs.

I do not care about it that much to be honest. To certain degree it could be a nice feature some games, but if you are overdoing it and using Hollywood actors to promote their game like a certain Hideo Kojima did, and also the guys from cd Project Red it is over the top.

I hope this tactic will never be the standard. I prefer the classic video game look over pure realism.

The Art design of the Saturn und Dreamcast Era is my favourite. Shenmue 3 manages to emulate this era perfectly. I hope many more games in the future will follow.

I feel it does bring a new sense of legitimacy to the industry and further having it recognized as an art form. Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku has done a great job of using celebrities of all backgrounds from mainstream, adult, and sports entertainment. It shows that movies, tv, and video games are starting to become one to some extent.

Depends on how good the faces are when they are not scanned. Playing Mortal Kombat 11, biggest difference in the graphics so far is the faces. Faces looking amazing in this game and, in hindsight, terrible in the previous.

I can see why having a celebrity face may be a little distracting but can't really remember a significant game that used it recently in a like to like fashion. It was there in Until Dawn and Detroit: Become Human but the only person I really recognised from there initially was Hayden Panettiere.

I don't care. The only issue is if they sacrifice creativity and resources just to get someone famous in as a way to sell more. But the concept itself I have no issue with.

Put it this way, if they somehow managed to get the likes of Hemsworth, RDJ, Evans, etc to reprise their roles for this Avengers game, it may have been the first pre-order I'd made since Mass Effect 3, which I bought for someone else.

Shenmue III was a pledge to the development of the game btw, and the reward of a copy was just a byproduct, so that doesn't count.

Back