How do you feel about the rewards distribution?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Get a fucking grip.

I can kind of understand the frustration of not feeling 'honored' for donating to the project by receiving premium rewards bonuses, but at the end of the day, it costs money. There's only so much to go around, so if you wanted higher quality rewards, the trade off is less of a budget for the actual game. It really matters what your priorities were or are, as a fan. If you wanted a new game in the series, then that's your reward. That's what you're honored with, and everything else is extra.

My eyes work fine, thanks.

Was it the game you backed for, or the case?

All these people fucking moaning because they didn't get deluxe treatment. Snowflakes.

I don't have a problem with the description or quality of the items. My problem is this, which I've ready clearly stated in another thread:

"
Agreed. They've been terrible beyond belief about the reward deliveries. I mean, on January 9th, they said illustrations would ship "mid to late January". There was zero communication until February 18th, when they finally said the illustrations would be on their way. The physical CD soundtrack and official shirts were to ship "early February", with the rest of the rewards shipping "March or later". I fully understand stuff happens and they put in the original update that things may change, but could you at least communicate that stuff sooner? It took them until TODAY, March 17th, to say that the items that supposedly were shipping early last month, were delayed. Seriously? Think of if Amazon, eBay, or Walmart did that to you. Or the post office."

Again, zero issue here with the collector editions, quality of the items, or descriptions of what I was getting. The KS communication has consistently been harming this game since it's inception, and it sadly didn't stop with the release.

My eyes work fine, thanks.

Was it the game you backed for, or the case?

All these people fucking moaning because they didn't get deluxe treatment. Snowflakes.
i kind of agree in the sense I don’t mind what I got, but I certainly hope if Ys Net ever addresses these things that this isn’t the attitude they use

I don't mind that it's taking a while other than the fact I'm waiting to get everything before I close my Kickstarter and email accounts associated with it.

As far as the rewards themselves, I backed a number of tiers with multiple accounts. One of them was the Character Bust tier. Everything aside from that seems to be about what I expected - minimal effort.

Do I feel slighted? No, I donated primarily to fund the game.

Would it be better if the quality of the items turned out better? Yeah, duh but I wasn't expecting much. I can see a lower tier only investor being annoyed or pissed especially if what they received was of lesser quality than what they expected for the $$$. As far as I'm concerned, those that donated deserve the quality of what they received to match their enthusiasm that came with the donation. How that's done is up to those in charge of the whole thing.

Everything is going digital now so can't say I'm surprised at any of this. Probably doesn't excuse the things people are reporting in this thread and others. BTW - what's with the shipping label directly over the Shenmue logo on the cardboard box - thanks guys!

The only game I'd probably Kickstart at this level again is if a sequel to Twinsen's Odyssey came about, and of course I'd back at a higher level to get something I know they couldn't eff up.

P.S. Not saying I wouldn't contribute to another Shenmue Kickstarter, just that I probably wouldn't be compelled to donate as much because (1) I don't want another Kickstarted Shenmue game and think it would fail anyway and (2) I doubt the higher tiers would have much physical items of interest.

Last edited:
It's not entitlement when people spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on the kickstarted and get an inferior product to the "collection edition".
We got this a cheap sleave worth less than 1$ with the normal game box, while people who got the Deluxe version got a unique game case saying deluxe on it. Small details do matter. Reality is Fangamer did a Very Cheap and Terrible Job that made Shenmue look Bad. The other versions are so beautiful and worthy item collections. As Apple has proven Package makes a huge difference in the perceived quality. Especially when you spending more than a console or thousand of dollars.
View attachment 7574

vs people who paid a lot less got

View attachment 7575
View attachment 7577View attachment 7576

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t understand the sentiment. However, when you look at the reality of the development, it’s pretty clear why expecting one of the special editions pictured above was/is highly unrealistic.

Back when you made the pledge, a certain percentage of the overall KS fund was set aside for the rewards. These collector editions you posted above weren’t even a thing until Deep Silver got involved. Thinking that as a backer, you are entitled to one of the collectors editions above is failing to see the big picture on multiple levels IMO. How much more of a percentage would had to have been allocated for all backers to receive one of the above? Probably enough to have have had a noticeably negative effect on the game itself, which was ultimately the prime reason we wanted to back the project. And again, (this is really the crux of it), even if Ysnet wanted to, these editions weren’t even a thing when the KS and pledge funds were locked down. Also, if hypothetically fans had received the collectors editions, logic dictates it would have had a significantly negative impact on sales of S3 too. And this is why Deep Silver made these copies; to maximise sales potential. It’s smart business as we saw they pretty much sold out, and fairly quickly too. It actually worked on me too as I bought every collector edition going. More than once in the case of the Pix n Love version.

So yeah, even though I do understand the sentiment, taking everything into account and still feeling entitled to one of those editions does come across as, well a bit entitled and shortsighted.

Having said that, the sleeves backers got were pretty crappy. Does it bother me? Not particularly.

This type of thing doesn’t bother me, I got the game when it was released and it was basically bug free, which is honestly what I was most concerned about. I donated to get S3 and the rest of the series made, they can cancel all the merch for all I care as long as they start work on S4.

That being said, I can see why you’d be pissed if you were looking forward to all the merch.

I don't have a problem with the description or quality of the items. My problem is this, which I've ready clearly stated in another thread:

"
Agreed. They've been terrible beyond belief about the reward deliveries. I mean, on January 9th, they said illustrations would ship "mid to late January". There was zero communication until February 18th, when they finally said the illustrations would be on their way. The physical CD soundtrack and official shirts were to ship "early February", with the rest of the rewards shipping "March or later". I fully understand stuff happens and they put in the original update that things may change, but could you at least communicate that stuff sooner? It took them until TODAY, March 17th, to say that the items that supposedly were shipping early last month, were delayed. Seriously? Think of if Amazon, eBay, or Walmart did that to you. Or the post office."

Again, zero issue here with the collector editions, quality of the items, or descriptions of what I was getting. The KS communication has consistently been harming this game since it's inception, and it sadly didn't stop with the release.
I whole-heartedly agree with this. I personally don't have any issue with the quality of the items I have received so far. For me it is purely about the length of time that it has taken to receive the items. It is this that I feel is unforgivable. Especially with the amount of time that has passed between the end of the Kickstarter and the release of the game.

I whole-heartedly agree with this. I personally don't have any issue with the quality of the items I have received so far. For me it is purely about the length of time that it has taken to receive the items. It is this that I feel is unforgivable. Especially with the amount of time that has passed between the end of the Kickstarter and the release of the game.
With all of the different angles fans are coming from with the criticisms, really highlights the problems this project had on many fronts.

Feedback I read from France was mostly catastrophic.

- Many damaged cases (including mine) where the bluray was moving inside

- Many people had to wait one to two months to get their PS4 copy.

- Last month, one had yet to receive his PS4 copy but was reluctant to complain since he doesn't speak English. Today I don't know whether he ends up to get it.

- The Kickstarter special case has disappointed a lot of people including the most loyal fans in the forums as the illustration in 2015 suggested something slightly more elegant and consistent.

- I'm still waiting for my PC case and other goodies (artbook, figures, etc) so are everyone I suppose.

I was only interested in the game and I'm not much into goodies so I'm not complaining at personal level despite having invested a lot of money ($550). But the whole thing regarding rewards has been a shame, that's for sure.

Last edited:
That is unfortunate. However, mostly down to Fangamer and their partner...if the items were broken when Fangamer bought them, then it was their responsibility to get replacements to ship.

Look, if I had been communicated with more than once a month, I may roll my eyes and accept it, but it would've been taken care of. But they aren't...they are committing to dates or date ranges, and then weeks or a month after failing to meet them, THEN they apologize. This is just customer service 101. Common sense. TALK to your customers.

Got my PC physical yesterday, poster a while ago. It would have saved me a lot of money if Fangamer would have just shipped me one package as I now get toll+handling fee for every piece I get. The drawing was fine, a bit dull compare to the KS concept sketches. The PC case is pretty bad, as expected.

As for why they are shipping things out one by one as they come in, I think it must simply be a factor of cost. They must have worked out that it would actually cost less to do things this way rather than having to store, organise, and keep track of which rewards are going with other ones and then to who.

Regarding the continued delays, well it could be anything. I've worked in an office long enough to know if can literally take one person not doing their job properly, either through incompetence, human error, or just plain laziness, and these kinds of delays to any kind of work can happen. Or it could be manufacturing delays, or perhaps they are understaffed, who knows, I doubt they will tell us as it's embarrassing either way.

That being said, the game shipped when it was eventually supposed to which is the main thing, of course I am looking forward to my next lot of rewards but the game was the main thing. Having a look at recent posts they are providing monthly updates at least.

For those complaining that the "official" collectors editions are better looking etc, if we didn't back the Kickstarter, we would never have Shenmue III to begin with.

Yeah, the backer case is cheap and tacky, but my goal was to make Shenmue III a reality. The bonuses are just that - a bonus. Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely satisfied; the soundtrack (MP3; yet to get CD) has a lot of reused tracks and I can't comment on the capsule toy until I get it. However, we are getting them bit by bit. It would be nice to have them all in one nice box (which was what I was expecting), but it's been nearly 5 years since I spent $300, so i'm just happy this stuff is coming.

I truly believe a large chunk of kickstarter backers did not know what they were getting themselves in for. The onus is on them.

This topic shows some fans have no limits to what they'll defend. Like it's their duty or something. Geez....

This whole thing has been disastrous. The handling of it has ensured I won't support any kickstarters again. Or if I do, it will strictly be the price of the game only.

I don't understand why they waited 5 years to start production. Or why they are shipping everything separately. The costs for shipping must be enormous this way. I honestly have no idea if I'll get any of the stuff from my tier.

This topic shows some fans have no limits to what they'll defend. Like it's their duty or something. Geez....

This whole thing has been disastrous. The handling of it has ensured I won't support any kickstarters again. Or if I do, it will strictly be the price of the game only.

I don't understand why they waited 5 years to start production. Or why they are shipping everything separately. The costs for shipping must be enormous this way. I honestly have no idea if I'll get any of the stuff from my tier.
It's difficult because overall I don't think the kickstarter was handled well overall.

Not sure why they would ship separately. Maybe its because of the lead times of various items they decided to send some so that at least people start getting their items?

As for sorting them at the start personally I'm not fussed I'd rather the time went into the game but I see your point. As much as I want the items for my tier, which I'm sure you will get yours too, I backed to see Shenmue III live. The rewards, while cool, are secondary for me.

I wouldn't let it put you off kickstarter either. I've backed 6 or 7 since and generally they've been great. Nothing has ever arrived on time lol but the products have been very good.

I see you've made your post again.

You reckon they were gambling on cashing-in on post release sales and creating/sending out the rewards from that cash.

Back