How immersive do you think Shenmue 3 will be?

It's going to be around as big as Shenmue 1.
Since there probably going to be 3 chapters with 3 locations in the game.
Shenmue IV will be a bigger game through like Shenmue II. Probably the biggest game in the series.
Well Choubu alone will have almost as many NPCs as the first game in its entirety, so I think it's more likely it'll be between 1 and 2 in scope.

That'd be funny.

You know, in Yakuza all that happens when you run into someone is you kind of shove them out of the way. That's the type of thing I imagine happening in a modern Shenmue.

I just really want Ryo to say "yes" when Tom says "Hey Ryo, how about a dooooog?"

Though I agree, I would love to be able to buy a potential winning hot dog and have Ryo eat it (no, not like that), and also buy street food in Hong Kong ... that good bye scene with Tom where he actually does agree to a hot dog is so emotional and that is probably caused by some breaking of that don't buy pattern. Quite clever. (Also that's the only time I noticed Ryo smile, except from when collecting toys. Which is a bit disturbing.)

Part of the reason you eat food in a Yakuza is because you carry your health, whereas in Shenmue you have no health outside individual fights. All the same, you can drink soda. Why not have some fun eating food, too, even if it serves no purpose?
I wouldn’t mind eating as a means to build up health/leveling up. Like Ryo and the gang can have local chinese food or something.
Yu doesn't seem to be interested in adding this unless he has changed his mind since answering these questions : https://www.ign.com/wikis/shenmue-3/Twitter_questions

I don't think it will be that immersive sadly. The budget probably isn't big enough. I expect something like Shenmue 2 but with a smaller world.
Well Choubu alone will have almost as many NPCs as the first game in its entirety, so I think it's more likely it'll be between 1 and 2 in scope.
Yu said in an interview that the size would be somewhere between Shenmue 1 and 2. I can't remember which one though. He was also looking at the optimal population density depending on the location.

Though I agree, I would love to be able to buy a potential winning hot dog and have Ryo eat it (no, not like that), and also buy street food in Hong Kong
:sneaky::whistle:

... that good bye scene with Tom where he actually does agree to a hot dog is so emotional and that is probably caused by some breaking of that don't buy pattern. Quite clever. (Also that's the only time I noticed Ryo smile, except from when collecting toys. Which is a bit disturbing.)
That scene is great. The fact that he finally agrees makes the whole situation extra bittersweet. As for the smiling, I think that he also smiles a couple of times when he's talking to kids or about animals.
Edit : Or when he gets a high score from what I noticed today watching someone play the game ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember that Yu was really bummed back in 2015, when a survey among KS backers was sent out, asking who their favorite character was. Shenhua only came in at 7 or 8 behind people like Nozomi, Ren, Xiuying, Guizhang or Joy. He seemed really disappointed.

I think Shenua may well be his favorite Shenmue character, so we can expect a lot in S3.

Yeah, I remember that Yu was really bummed back in 2015, when a survey among KS backers was sent out, asking who their favorite character was. Shenhua only came in at 7 or 8 behind people like Nozomi, Ren, Xiuying, Guizhang or Joy. He seemed really disappointed.

I think Shenua may well be his favorite Shenmue character, so we can expect a lot in S3.
I remember that Survey I voted for Xiu Ying and what a let down she was one of the lowest rated!
When she clearly the best Shenmue II character.

Yes around that scope bigger than Shenmue I yes.
https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?attachments/am2_4-jpg.1052/
index.php

Based on this We can see size of future games.

Suzuki has said before he wants to make the immersion more inward as opposed to outward. I hope we can have a demonstration of what he wants to achieve in the near future

Yes around that scope bigger than Shenmue I yes.
https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?attachments/am2_4-jpg.1052/
index.php

Based on this We can see size of future games.
I do wonder if he will end the series at Shenmue 4. 3 will have to sell well to get a 4th and the same with 4 to a potential 5th game.

From a business mindset he may have to finish the series at 4 or risk not being able to end them at all. Though saying that we're unlikely to get a 4th game if 3 doesn't sell.

If 3 does well Sega may come on board with Shenmue 4. Time will tell.

Anyway I'm very intrigued to see how the game moves on. The relationship between Ryo and Shenhua is the main element here and how he builds this into the bigger picture will be interesting

If he could re-use Unreal Engine 4 and assets from Shenmue III for a Shenmue IV, I guess he could keep the budget down in the same way the Yakuza games reuse the same engine and assets for a few games in a row.

I do wonder if he will end the series at Shenmue 4. 3 will have to sell well to get a 4th and the same with 4 to a potential 5th game.

From a business mindset he may have to finish the series at 4 or risk not being able to end them at all. Though saying that we're unlikely to get a 4th game if 3 doesn't sell.

If 3 does well Sega may come on board with Shenmue 4. Time will tell.

Anyway I'm very intrigued to see how the game moves on. The relationship between Ryo and Shenhua is the main element here and how he builds this into the bigger picture will be interesting
Shenmue III will sell well for sure in PS4 The game has a potential market there.
Xbox had an aweful terrible market for Shenmue.
Was launched at the worse console with worst market and the worst time when Sega was in finance trouble.
If Shenmue was released on Ps2 we would had Shenmue 5 by now.

Shenmue III will sell well for sure in PS4 The game has a potential market there.
Xbox had an aweful terrible market for Shenmue.
Was launched at the worse console with worst market and the worst time when Sega was in finance trouble.
If Shenmue was released on Ps2 we would had Shenmue 5 by now.

You can blame Peter Moore on that one. X-Box was mostly an american system and Shenmue has a highly international appeal. I don’t know about how the X-Boxes did in Europe but in Japan, they ought to be buried in a nuclear wasteland in Fukushima like how ET was buried in a New Mexico desert

Shenmue on Xbox sort of made sense at the time. The Dreamcast was most successful in the US, and the Xbox was poised to be the same. That's why SEGA chose the Xbox for Jet Set Radio's sequel too. Unfortunately, as we all know both Shenmue II and Jet Set Radio Future ended up tanking on Xbox. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Though I agree, I would love to be able to buy a potential winning hot dog and have Ryo eat it (no, not like that), and also buy street food in Hong Kong ... that good bye scene with Tom where he actually does agree to a hot dog is so emotional and that is probably caused by some breaking of that don't buy pattern. Quite clever. (Also that's the only time I noticed Ryo smile, except from when collecting toys. Which is a bit disturbing.)

He also smiled when giving Fangmei her birthday gift.

Less immersive than Skyrim, more immersive than Sonic Spinball.

Less immersive than Skyrim, more immersive than Sonic Spinball.

Not sure if Skyrim is more immersive than SI and II though. Pros and cons of getting to design your own character (and then kind of hate that with any character you can complete all the guilds anyways...). Huge Skyrim fan, seriously too many hours, but feel more immersed in Dobuita or Kowloon as Ryo than in Tamriel as my fav Bosmer.

Not sure if Skyrim is more immersive than SI and II though. Pros and cons of getting to design your own character (and then kind of hate that with any character you can complete all the guilds anyways...). Huge Skyrim fan, seriously too many hours, but feel more immersed in Dobuita or Kowloon as Ryo than in Tamriel as my fav Bosmer.

I'd put Skyrim more so than 2 but less than 1. And I tend to flip-flop between Nords n Imperials. Fuck the elves! (Except Dunmer, they're sound as fuck)

I'd put Skyrim more so than 2 but less than 1. And I tend to flip-flop between Nords n Imperials. Fuck the elves! (Except Dunmer, they're sound as fuck)

Aw come on, bosmers are awesome (I'm like 5"2 so finally identified I guess). Enjoyed trying to be Kahjiit too, but wished I'd be banned from cities which again points to poor immersion... Kowloon feels like home, total immersion there, but suppose the Golden Quarter actually sums up what you'll have in real life Hong Kong. It's the insides of the buildings in Kowloon that does it.

Back