How Long Will It Take For You To Press Start?

In less than a half a year from now, we will all be experiencing a dream come true. As excited as I am to play Shenmue III, there's going to be a moment where I know Im just going to freeze , do nothing and soak in the moment that this is actually real.

For me this is going to take some time. Im going to think about all those years, all of what has happened between that time both personally and in regards to gaming, the fight that it took to get to this very moment, how Shenmue affected my growth and development from a teen when I played it to a man playing the third game.

The TV set will display "Shenmue III press start" and honestly I see myself staring at the screen for about an hour to soak this moment all in. Im a pretty stoic person IRL but I already know that seeing that screen is going to bring a strong wave of emotion Ive never experienced. I dont know if my body is ready!

What about yall?

I'll sit and admire for a bit, let it play through the opening bits and see if there's any story setter like in the first 2.

I'll press start, mill around the options a bit and then begin!

Also it will likely evoke memories of playing the originals for the first time. Emotions will be high :)

Last edited:
I often think about this. I imagine staring at the screen blankly just in my own mind not even really seeing what's in front of me. I imagine the prologue cutscene will play at least twice before I snap out of it and am able to actually watch and absorb it. Then, options menu and start...

I just can't imagine playing this game without the last 20 years all hitting me at once like a ton of bricks...

The TV set will display "Shenmue III press start" and honestly I see myself staring at the screen for about an hour
This is where I'm at with this question. I'll sit down wherever I'm at, and soak it all in. Reminsce about the first time I played and the memories I've shared with you all.

It'll be a surreal moment for sure. I'll give it an hour, then smash that start button!

Just beforehand, I might do a little prayer and say thank you for what i'm about to receive (and i'm not even that religious!) I'll let the game run, play a loop, press start, mill around the options and begin the game.

Then turn it off after 30 minutes. I often find I do this with new games as I just need to let the initial hit soak in me. Then after half an hour or so, play it for hours.

Weird, I know!

I even forgot that you can play the game at midnight if you preorder a digital copy. Im going to have to plug my headphones to the TV when I start playing Shenmue 3. What an exciting night that is going to be.
I remember playing Guilin chapter on my first playthrough it was so epic from the beginning to the end I did it in one sitting.

I even forgot that you can play the game at midnight if you preorder a digital copy. Im going to have to plug my headphones to the TV when I start playing Shenmue 3. What an exciting night that is going to be.
I remember playing Guilin chapter on my first playthrough it was so epic from the beginning to the end I did it in one sitting.

If you preorder a game digitally does it mean you can start the download at 00:01 on day of release or can you have it pre-downloaded but locked until release? There has been no game I've been even remotely this excited about.

Back