How many fights happen in total?

I swear this game has less fights than 1&2

-1st fight is with the spider head and that thug, then get knocked out by the shoulder pad guy
-2nd fight is getting beat up again
-3rd fight is beating shoulder pad guy
-4th fight is red snakes outside the bar
-5th fight is red snakes with snake boss
-6th fight is with ren against red snakes with snake boss
-7th fight is red snakes in VIP club
-8th fight is in castle
-9th fight is against snake boss
-10th fight is more thugs at castle top (backers)
-11th fight is with lan di

Did I get that wrong? There's only 11 fights total. Like 3 in Bailu alone.

I'm pretty sure Shenmue 1 had the same amount of fights.

Something like that. Did you count the fight against the bookie in Bailu. Also you don't count qte fights, right?

So that's pretty much it. Plus the Kung Fu schools and Rose Garden fights.

Yeah the lack of fights in this was horrible but mainly the repetition made it more noticeable. LEARN SOME MORE KUNG FU!!

Shenmue II was great because in Kowloon you had this awesome quest of finding and taking down Kowloons biggest street fighters and the way it was presented was like these guys were not to be fucked with, the music, the wpic scale was awesome. In this you have no such quest and the one the drunk master guy gives you doesn't count since you can complete that quest waaaaay before he gives it to you and it's not epic at all.

You needed more "you need to defeat this person" quests or "rescue this person quest" Ryo just did not get in enough trouble in this game.

Include all the fights in the Bailu and Wu Shen Hall Kung Fu schools and the Rose Garden Fights. Thats a lot of fights, if you have the skill for it.

Yikes. Not much, was there?

There were a few side quests that resulted in a fight.

Perhaps because of the sparring/martial hall fights and Rose Garden, the low number seemed less noticeable to me.

The lack of escalation made the fights pretty underwhelming, indeed:

-Excessive symmetry between Bailu and Niaowu plots. "Two random thugs+1 big guy" to face, "How-to-beat-him" scheme, "Beat-him-first-before-talking-to-me" scheme... with no sensible difference of tension.

- Very straight forward narration since you only have to wait for the second fight in Niaowu to meet the boss. It makes the Red Snakes and his boss even more random and meaningless.

- The said boss had no charisma. The martial "non-style" is his only identity. How he managed to learn so many styles is a mystery, so they had little room to make one interesting dialogue. Another wasted opportunity to add slight touches of lore.

- You never feel the location is under the state of danger. Bailu is certainly the worst since it's a small and isolated town besieged at the extreme portion and no villager cares. Better use of music could help.

- Bad narration... or narration zero? How many of us ended the game by thinking Red Snakes were really two thugs+one boss? I actually forgot that the VIP fight was in fact a brawler. That's likely because the other thugs are not even introduced in the narration. They suddenly pop out in the gameplay phase, after the loading black screen.

And I'm only talking about the outward there, not the gameplay which we knew it would be very basic.

The "few but only valuable fights" mantra of Shenmue 1&2 has no resonance here. Fights are a big disappointment to me.

Story fights, yes, but there's a way bigger emphasis on optional fights this time, plus mandatory sparring, which made it feel like you actually fought way more than in the original game, and in parts of II. Nothing comes close to Kowloon, though.

Back