Huber talks Shenmue III

It depends on how much money they put into the deal.

Honestly, 5 months can be a fair amount of time to put some serious polish into the game and that may be all it needs. They could push it into January or February, which I would be okay with doing.

Anything past that is a lost cause, as FFVII will DOMINATE anything in March and April-May are stacked with Cyberpunk, Avengers and probably more than that, plus next gen reveals.

The combat being a little rough makes sense, but maybe they'll smooth that out also. It won't play like I and II, but it doesn't have to.

Maybe the reason they couldn't get the DS media was because they were updating it ?
Maybe the guy was using Chrome without realizing that the Deep Silver website is an Edge exclusive now? It seems to me that making sure that the most up to date footage is made available to press should be something of a priority when marketing a game. I can’t understand how they could mess even the simplest of things up.

The combat is representative of Ryo at the earliest levels of his training in this game. Showing this is in keeping with everything else they've shown so far - only early game elements, keeping the later parts of the game as a surprise for players. It's a bit atypical for these days, as games and movies in particular will often spoil later parts in their promotional campaigns.

If the only complaint is combat, I couldn't really care less. The free battles were fun and welcome in Shenmue I and II but I don't think it was a particularly astounding or deep system. I actually preferred Shenmue I's combat to Shenmue II's - Shenmue II was too quick and it was almost impossible to actually parry opponent's moves (rather than dodge) and pulling off throw moves was much more difficult, it seemed like in the second game it would always default to the parrying throw attacks and not the one I intended.

I was really impressed with what I saw yesterday, moreso than the two recent trailers. And I feel 1000x better than that 2017 trailer that was garbage and made me really doubt that this game wouldn't suck.

The combat is representative of Ryo at the earliest levels of his training in this game. Showing this is in keeping with everything else they've shown so far - only early game elements, keeping the later parts of the game as a surprise for players. It's a bit atypical for these days, as games and movies in particular will often spoil later parts in their promotional campaigns.

That's one thing I believe they really got right. They showed us exactly what we've been asking for years. Actual, tangible gameplay footage. They did it in a way without revealing anything in regards to the story. No Shenhua, no Ren, no Lan Di and no Niao Sun. I really enjoy the fact that I got to see what I wan't and also know there is SOOOOO much more left to see.

Not gonna lie, I almost started tearing up when I heard that chime after Ryo collected his capsule toy again after so long.

That's one thing I believe they really got right. They showed us exactly what we've been asking for years. Actual, tangible gameplay footage. They did it in a way without revealing anything in regards to the story. No Shenhua, no Ren, no Lan Di and no Niao Sun. I really enjoy the fact that I got to see what I wan't and also know there is SOOOOO much more left to see.

Not gonna lie, I almost started tearing up when I heard that chime after Ryo collected his capsule toy again after so long.

Probably the trial demo we'll get in the coming months with the scare-faced man's quest. It has been the same basic quest since Edge featured it in its issue on February. Glad they were smart enough not to disperse vainly.

Amped for Paris. Might have to begin avoiding altogether at Gamescom or TGS. Even the E3 gameplay footage I'm skimming ahead. Toy capsule I couldn't resist. Watched half of dice and lucky hit. Turtle Racing, training and chopping I only glanced.

Listening to the EZA impressions after watching the gameplay vids have me hyped. It sounds like its exactly what I always wanted it to be, which makes me super happy.
Combat though, from the gameplay vid I saw, looked good. I saw several of my favourite moves from previous games and the whole training/arena stuff is something I'll totally be addicted to when I get my hands on the game. Hype rising...

Also on combat - I think it's pretty cool the basics of Ryo's Hazuki style moveset have been incorporated as standard strikes and combos that, if I'm reading the hands-on impressions right, don't require the really specific multi-button presses special moves like Tornado Kick, Elbow Assault, etc, do. It frees up longer button presses for other stuff, but also doesn't reduce Ryo to using generic punches and kicks. Smart, smart stuff.

I have to disagree on Tornado Kick.

Counter Elbow Assault was a pretty good move to learn enemy timings with, but Tornado Kick - to me at least - felt pointless and too prone to failure because of how long the windup took and how you could be punched out of the animation so easily. It made more sense to just bust out Brutal Tiger instead, with the added benefit of a 360 degree arc of attack that was a lifesaver in multi-man fights.

I swapped out Tornado Kick for Double Storm Kick at the first opportunity in Shenmue II, but I may actually use it in Shenmue III now.
How dare you do my boy Tom like that, I could never remove tornado kick, was one of my favourite moves from Shenmue, I do it in real life all the time too, it just looks so slick, granted its not a move to be spammed, only can be done at the right time otherwise, like you said you will be punished for randomly using it. I do like the new version too but I miss his initial knee wind up animation, but at least it's faster now.

How dare you do my boy Tom like that, I could never remove tornado kick, was one of my favourite moves from Shenmue, I do it in real life all the time too, it just looks so slick, granted its not a move to be spammed, only can be done at the right time otherwise, like you said you will be punished for randomly using it. I do like the new version too but I miss his initial knee wind up animation, but at least it's faster now.
I mean hey - it can definitely work. It's just unreliable even when you think you've timed it right.

What if the knee wind up returns
I mean hey - it can definitely work. It's just unreliable even when you think you've timed it right.
What if the knee jump wind up returns at a higher level? I keep forgetting the moves level up, did Yu say anything about moves changing animation when they level up?

Im skeptical on Huber's response to the combat. It looks like everyone who played the demo, played with the automatic (AT) setting. One button does a move. Im sure the experience is much different if you play on manual (MT)

I thought everything was manual except for that you can set one move to the AT (single button) at any given time, which could actually be done in the old games too. Maybe I'm out of the loop on it.

Regardless, it seems like his issues also were more on the feel of it, which I understand. It looks rough, as far as the hit detection/reaction, especially when the opponent is blocking. For example, it looks like the full kick motion completes even if you hit a blocked opponent instead of stopping in mid-motion like it did in the old games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited and think it will be extremely fun (I'm going to spend hours upon hours training), but expect this to continue to be a major issue when it comes to previews/reviews. I know it'll get polished in the next 5 months, but I believe it is probably too late (and too much of a challenge) to completely overhaul it.

I thought everything was manual except for that you can set one move to the AT (single button) at any given time, which could actually be done in the old games too. Maybe I'm out of the loop on it.

Regardless, it seems like his issues also were more on the feel of it, which I understand. It looks rough, as far as the hit detection/reaction, especially when the opponent is blocking. For example, it looks like the full kick motion completes even if you hit a blocked opponent instead of stopping in mid-motion like it did in the old games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited and think it will be extremely fun (I'm going to spend hours upon hours training), but expect this to continue to be a major issue when it comes to previews/reviews. I know it'll get polished in the next 5 months, but I believe it is probably too late (and too much of a challenge) to completely overhaul it.

Ah, fair enough. It reminded me of Jade Empire combat, which i loved. But i understand that's not for everyone.

Yeah, pretty sure I read somewhere that the demo is locked to AT mode and you can not use directional input. There is a dodge button though.

Also some correction on the B-Roll.

B-Roll footage is of an older console build of the game. IGN/Gamespot uses this footage. People who played at E3 played on PC, and the game had music enabled. The B-Roll is old PS4 footage with music disabled with some differences in GUI and graphics.

Last edited:
I always considered Shenmue to be an interactive experience rather than a video game because in actuality, it's the combination of a game and a movie into one. This is probably what Yu Suzuki was aiming for with Shenmue, and it's the thing that makes it so special. Because of this, I have no doubt whatsoever that Shenmue III will provide the same inspiration and magic it brought to my life all those years ago just like its predecessors.

Back