I love it

Well, there are games that got no big reviews but still sold a lot thanks to word of mouth and fans :) that's our role, ahahah... Next week I'll order from Amazon a few copies (4 at least) for Christmas presents to friends who have a PS4 but still didn't get Shenmue III.

I don’t understand why all these sites are giving it subpar reviews. I feel most of them don't really understand Shenmue. I wonder if these “reviews” are going to hurt our chances of getting a Shenmue 4?
I'm playing it again with the Japanese dub. Now I'm ok with the English dub but I really think it didn't help the reviews tbh. Had it only had Japanese that may have helped some scores. Not all of course but it would have stopped the criticism around the stilted interactions.

Going forward, as a cost saving exercise too, it's best to Japanese only imo

I'm playing it again with the Japanese dub. Now I'm ok with the English dub but I really think it didn't help the reviews tbh. Had it only had Japanese that may have helped some scores. Not all of course but it would have stopped the criticism around the stilted interactions.

Even though I love my DC copies of Shenmue, I was so glad to be able to play SI in Japanese when the recent HD versions came out. I think it has a lot to do with my first experience of Shenmue being SII on the DC with Japanese VO and English subtitles, so that cemented my preference. I don't overly mind Shenmue 1 in English but I genuinely couldn't finish 2 on the XBOX when that came out. Had to go back to DC. You're also right that it would help to reduce future costs.

I agree, but whenever I mention this quite a few people seem upset with the idea. I really wonder how much recording two separate language tracks cost. Tough to please this small fan base...

Single language and a polished translation would help so much.

I really wonder how much recording two separate language tracks cost. Tough to please this small fan base...

I think I can answer that, since it's my job. Dubbing the whole Shenmue III in English cost a few hundred thousands dollars. I don't know how many lines they recorded, so I cannot be more accurate, but my guess is that a good 500K or more went into the English voice acting (not just the actors but the whole process, with sound directors, studio fees, pre&post-production)... Now, I'm a fan of Corey Marshall and the other guys, but with a limited budget like the one Shenmue III had... I think it was not a great idea :(

That would definitely hurt sales as your underestimating how important the dub is for lots of fans. For me and many others the awkward dialogue is all part of the charm and completely faithful to the beloved originals. It would be crazy to go Japanese only when it sells better in the west. It will put off a lot of fans from buying it; is that worth it for a better review score?

It would turn Shenmue into a grind fest of constant reading which I hated in Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast. Suddenly I would hardly want to talk to anyone. I’m not against reading but Shenmue is very dialogue heavy and to constantly have to read every single line by the many npcs in the game would become a chore like it was when I played Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast.

I played Shenmue 2 on Xbox first so that probably didn’t help but a lot of the fun went out of the game without the English dub. It all comes down to personal opinion and I strongly believe it should always be dual language rather than fracture the already small Shenmue fanbase by removing something a lot of its fans love.

That would definitely hurt sales as your underestimating how important the dub is for lots of fans. For me and many others the awkward dialogue is all part of the charm and completely faithful to the beloved originals. It would be crazy to go Japanese only when it sells better in the west. It will put off a lot of fans from buying it; is that worth it for a better review score?

It would turn Shenmue into a grind fest of constant reading which I hated in Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast. Suddenly I would hardly want to talk to anyone. I’m not against reading but Shenmue is very dialogue heavy and to constantly have to read every single line by the many npcs in the game would become a chore like it was when I played Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast.

I played Shenmue 2 on Xbox first so that probably didn’t help but a lot of the fun went out of the game without the English dub. It all comes down to personal opinion and I strongly believe it should always be dual language rather than fracture the already small Shenmue fanbase by removing something a lot of its fans love.
That's the contrast isn't it. Some swear by the dub and that's fine.

To others it's a waste. I dunno if budgets tight it's a waste of vital funds. If the money is there I think they need to go for it and modernise it a little.

I agree, but whenever I mention this quite a few people seem upset with the idea. I really wonder how much recording two separate language tracks cost. Tough to please this small fan base...

Single language and a polished translation would help so much.

Unlike Yakuza, which offers a more...colorful script Japanese wise, and thats even before the Atlus team puts in their own localization script changes (if you know a little Japanese), the Japanese script for Shenmue is rather matter of fact and dry to be honest. Say what you want about the English script and voice but they do offer to try make it a bit more personality and colorful.
Playing the game again now in Japanese and its become more than apparent to me how flat the script is in Japanese since I can understand some of what they're saying which is at times completely different that what the subtitles are saying.

It all comes down to habit. Reading subtitles is effortless when you get used to it. Shenmue is really not complicated: nobody talks fast and 80% of Ryo's dialogue is "wakarimashita", "sodesuka", "sumimasen", "ano..." over and over. Junkies love their drugs too.

It all comes down to habit. Reading subtitles is effortless when you get used to it. Shenmue is really not complicated: nobody talks fast and 80% of Ryo's dialogue is "wakarimashita", "sodesuka", "sumimasen", "ano..." over and over. Junkies love their drugs too.
No it also come down to taste, but I already had this conversation elsewhere so it will be my only comment about it here.

No it also come down to taste, but I already had this conversation elsewhere so it will be my only comment about it here.
Which I would say it largely comes down to habit as well, you get used to some voices and, at least initially, it sounds strange when you change them. But, I mean, in the case of Shenmue II is only Ryo as a returning character and it is reeaally hard to argue that the Japanese voices are worse. People mostly have issues with reading, which is not a matter of taste is basically lack of habit, unless someone is dyslexic or something.

I can’t believe anyone who enjoys the series up to this point would abandon it over a Japanese only dub, but I think saving $500,000 to implement other quality improvements is worth the risk.
I've already had day-dream nightmares about Corey throwing an absolute bitchfit on twitter over "getting snubbed" by Suzuki for S4. Attacking the man personally, retroactively attacking the series, and it all getting picked up and signal boosted by the press and reshitera. Why does my brain do this to me, lmao.

I've already had day-dream nightmares about Corey throwing an absolute bitchfit on twitter over "getting snubbed" by Suzuki for S4. Attacking the man personally, retroactively attacking the series, and it all getting picked up and signal boosted by the press and reshitera. Why does my brain do this to me, lmao.

Obviously the logical compromise is to have an English dub with Corey voicing all the characters :p

Which I would say it largely comes down to habit as well, you get used to some voices and, at least initially, it sounds strange when you change them. But, I mean, in the case of Shenmue II is only Ryo as a returning character and it is reeaally hard to argue that the Japanese voices are worse. People mostly have issues with reading, which is not a matter of taste is basically lack of habit, unless someone is dyslexic or something.
As said I won't come back much to talk about this, I already did in another thread and won't again.
I grew tired of the way many asian do voice acting, my only exception could be on some musics.

Yes reading can be an issue, not only for a lack of habit but also when you want to enjoy the cinematography.

I’ve watched a lot of foreign language movies that are subtitled and I’ve never felt reading the text has made me ignore the cinematography.

anyway, I get it’s not an ideal solution for some, but I hope it’s considered if the budget for a fourth game is tight. I think most fans will take the trade.

Im one of those fans who love playing the english dub way more than the Japanese dub. But i do think they missed a massive opportunity with Shenmue 3s dub.

They should stay away from the stoic dialog at all costs. The cast are very talented and can put on a great performance, let them do it. I cant blame bill black as im sure i read somewhere that type of stoic dialogue is suzuki's preference. If it is, he needs to stay away from the dub in shenmue 4. Sega have atlus at their disposal and they have one of the greatest dubs in all of gaming. Use those resources and directors to skyrocket the product

Im one of those fans who love playing the english dub way more than the Japanese dub. But i do think they missed a massive opportunity with Shenmue 3s dub.

They should stay away from the stoic dialog at all costs. The cast are very talented and can put on a great performance, let them do it. I cant blame bill black as im sure i read somewhere that type of stoic dialogue is suzuki's preference. If it is, he needs to stay away from the dub in shenmue 4. Sega have atlus at their disposal and they have one of the greatest dubs in all of gaming. Use those resources and directors to skyrocket the product

But there's also the problem the game is made with the Japanese dub as the default so the animation matches it more. If you go too far off script than that can lead to a problem animation wise unless they get better at the programming for it and offer various adjustments so that each version offers their own matching animation. But that will cost money and time and need extra skills to implement

Back