I love seeing videos of new shenmue fans :)

I love seeing videos of people discovering Shenmue, and "getting it". Here's a very recent one.

Although It's weird that he thinks he likes the 1st game better, yet he hates the forklifting "racing" Um well that a new take, but otherwise yea he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Incase you guys haven't seen it yet, here's another, this one was made not long after the KS, but he has only played Shenmue 1 so far in this video.

If people find anymore, by all means post them.

Fantastic video and I also totally understand this guy. I love the job as a forklift driver but I have also always hated the forced forklift race every single day.

Yea :)

Wait WTF...you mean this is actually a "real" thing? In these 19 years I have never heard anyone say that about the forklift races, infact universally it has been the exact opposite.

People who tend to favor Shenmue 1, have only one of 2 reasons, It's a cozy nice town/the mood of such or Forklift racing. I never heard anyone talk about the racing, as if it were a bad thing.

It's not bad at all, I have just always found it annoying that the game forces you to do it every single day. I would have been OK with doing the race once or twice per playthroigh but not every single day.

At this point of 10-15 times through Shenmue, I'm not a fan of the racing nor Disc 3 in general until the endgame.

I watched the video recently myself actually, it is great to see a newcomer truly grasp Shenmue. One thing, if I recall correctly, that I thought was odd was that he implied the story to Shenmue was just OK or "good enough" but he was pretty much gushing over the Shenmue reveal, I think he liked the story more than he let on.

It's not bad at all, I have just always found it annoying that the game forces you to do it every single day. I would have been OK with doing the race once or twice per playthroigh but not every single day.

Well It's not like It's for nothing, each place you finish the race, you get a different numbered forklift capsul toy, so the idea is to finish the race in each place, to end up completing the set. Maybe you'll enjoy it more, if you have that additional goal to strive for.

In anycase, at that point in the game, the game basically pushes you to the end, so I find the forklift races to be the rare moment you are doing something other then story, and can relax.

It’s nice to see that even after nearly 20 years, the game is still getting new fans. It shows how Shenmue still holds up. Either way, people agree or disagree what makes the game good or bad in certain places but that’s always been part of Shenmue’s lore. As a racing game fan, I found the forklift racing fun and after playing it on a joystick after all these years, I can turn much more easily as opposed to using the d-pad (I’ll admit Initial D on PS2 is more D-pad friendly, especially with drifting and steering)! Thanks to the forklifting races, I was able to familiarize myself with the harbor and how to take my crates from one place to another

I think its more the fact that Shenmue is a good game, a quality title that was made well; any game like that will always get new fans, provided there is a means to play it.

I played all the Phantasy Star games (original quadrilogy) for the first time in 2014 and I adored each of them (save for the luck/bullshit-fest that is II), mainly because they are great games that were written well, programmed well and had engrossing stories.

Games like that will always stand the test of time and will always have new fans.

I think its more the fact that Shenmue is a good game, a quality title that was made well; any game like that will always get new fans, provided there is a means to play it.

I played all the Phantasy Star games (original quadrilogy) for the first time in 2014 and I adored each of them (save for the luck/bullshit-fest that is II), mainly because they are great games that were written well, programmed well and had engrossing stories.

Games like that will always stand the test of time and will always have new fans.

Natually, but you have all those fake games journalists trying their best to scare people away as well, so It's nice when new comers prove them wrong, and "gets it".

Boredom is a part of Shenmue. Even when you're forced to do the forklift race everyday, that is a matter of being disciplined and doing something even if you don't want to. I think having it be fun/enjoyable all throughout is very unrealistic, and by having these boring/bad parts, it actually heightens the experience even more.

Boredom is a part of Shenmue. Even when you're forced to do the forklift race everyday, that is a matter of being disciplined and doing something even if you don't want to. I think having it be fun/enjoyable all throughout is very unrealistic, and by having these boring/bad parts, it actually heightens the experience even more.
Good way to look at it.

While I find it hard to believer anyone would call racing, boring(boring to watch perhaps, but not boring to take part in), yea I agree. It gives the journey meaning, a journey that's smooth, and constantly enjoyable throughout, has no meaning.

Last edited:
I love seeing videos of people discovering Shenmue, and "getting it". Here's a very recent one.

Although It's weird that he thinks he likes the 1st game better, yet he hates the forklifting "racing" Um well that a new take, but otherwise yea he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Incase you guys haven't seen it yet, here's another, this one was made not long after the KS, but he has only played Shenmue 1 so far in this video.

If people find anymore, by all means post them.

Retro Raider here my friend. Thanks for sharing my video ;) I jumped to the Shenmue wagon kinda late, thanks to the HD remasters but, I guess its better late than ever. Can't wait for Shenmue 3. Cheers

Retro Raider here my friend. Thanks for sharing my video ;) I jumped to the Shenmue wagon kinda late, thanks to the HD remasters but, I guess its better late than ever. Can't wait for Shenmue 3. Cheers
Welcome dude.

Fantastic video and I also totally understand this guy. I love the job as a forklift driver but I have also always hated the forced forklift race every single day.

Loved the forklift job, hated losing a forklift race and days I just didn't want to be forced to do it. Driving the forklift and moving crates was one of the best jobs imo. I started with Shenmue II in 2002 so that might be why I am not as nostalgic

Back