I was going to give this game a 9/10 until the ending...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. The game could've literally been a cutscene of 15 minutes max. That is all. The storyline was not progressed at all and we literally met no new characters. In shenmue 2 we got so much more. Joy, ren, xiuying, Wong. Hell even fangmei. This game featured no character development. I was the biggest shenmue fan I could Imagine but this game was bullshit. If we are at 40% of the storyline after 3, we were at 35% after shenmue 2.

It's so terrible because I loved everything else about it except the fighting, but I was constantly thinking the game still had to start and then it ended.

Same for me, 9/10 until that final hour, and it just sunk it to a 5/10.
I really loved the 50+ hours I spend on the game, even with the grindy / time-gated gameplay and lack of story revelations.
The end just killed it.. it was glaringly in your face bad, you would swear the whole final hour was outsourced.

Yeah went all the way down to a 6.5 for me. If they stuck the landing I would have been willing to brush off certain other issues. The entire final hour of the game was a joke. Such a shame that Shrine girl and Fat guy didnt get more development with Ryo. I thought it was really cute that the shrine girl had a crush on Ryo and she even thought he was going to buy a gift for her when you asked about getting money to buy something expensive.

I put at least 35 plus hours into my first run. the ending segment being spectacular would have made up for the lack luster arcs in Bailu and the kind of bad arc in Niowu. They could have done so much with Niao Sun at least but nope.

Not just the Final hour was a joke. The final hour made the entire game a joke. Because of no characters, no development. The entire game was literally ryo is not strong enough he had to grind for 30 hours.

This is why the idea of three more Shenmue games troubles me. I'm all for world building and immersion, but it sounds like thy completely sacrificed telling a story so they could just give us a Shenmue with a lot of random stuff to do. It's 2019 and open worlds aren't exactly a brand new concept anymore.

What's the point of three games of filler? Not to mention they can't afford to make three more games when #3 isn't exactly setting the world alight.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game collapse before the finish line worse than this one. Now...I don’t play too many games, but damn. It was my game of the generation prior to that end run.

The game really started to fall apart for me when the red shirt muscles dude showed up in the hideout, because the trailers spoiled that you’d have another fight with him later on. I was like ‘they’re really not about to do a remix of the Bailu plot are they?’ then sure enough...

I'd be curious to see how outsiders feel about it. I played the Mass Effect trilogy in relatively quick succession around 2015/2016, years after the controversy of the ending to 3, and with that in mind (and with the Leviathan, Extended Cut, and Citadel DLC), I didn't think the ending of 3 was *that* bad (certainly wasn't great, though). I also thought the actual main plot to Mass Effect 2 was a mess, but I loved that game the most of the three because of the characters and how their individual stories were told.

This is why the idea of three more Shenmue games troubles me. I'm all for world building and immersion, but it sounds like thy completely sacrificed telling a story. What's the point of three games of filler, not to mention they can't afford to make three more games when #3 isn't exactly setting the world alight.
Indeed, thats a mystery to me. All this time and effort to finally make a third game. And Suzuki can't put more story development in it? Let it be a poor story, but just tell it somehow. It could very well be a last chance to do it anyway.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game collapse before the finish line worse than this one. Now...I don’t play too many games, but damn. It was my game of the generation prior to that end run.
How about this old geezer in pawn shop at castle assault. I mean, what a fuck? We come to save Shenhua and i just have to seek some stolen shit for him to advance the story? Way to kill the mood... What the hell he was doing there in the first place? Ryo should have tell him to get his old ass up the stairs and look for this stuff himself.

Shenmue 3 seems to be designed around the concept of the “Shenmue experience” rather than a focus on plot advancement. Too much effort in “fluff and padding”, not enough time spent on development of characters and the story. The ending was a total trainwreck. Niao Sun was a brilliant character, so much missed potential.

I'm sticking to my guuns in saying that they still nailed the confrontation with Lan Di - Not even able to land a single hit was absolutely everything I wanted from that encounter! I'm so glad they they didn't belittle Lan Di's power on the 1st encounter, so for me that moment makes much of the rest sink asside. I also appreciate what they were trying to do with the corridors of badies - a nod to the 70 man battle.

I think what threw my off most was how when you arrive at the fortress you get sucked into this weird detour in helping the Pawn Shop owner find his items - it was jsut not placed very well considering the hype build just before it.

How about this old geezer in pawn shop at castle assault. I mean, what a fuck? We come to save Shenhua and i just have to seek some stolen shit for him to advance the story? Way to kill the mood... What the hell he was doing there in the first place? Ryo should have tell him to get his old ass up the stairs and look for this stuff himself.

Honestly that segment made me keep checking and re-checking Ryo’s notebook to make sure I didn’t accidentally stumble upon a side mission. I thought there was no way in hell that nonsense was a requirement for the climax of the game.

Did anyone else think they were in for a 6/7 hour ride once they got to the castle? In my head I was thinking 'This will be like the yellow head building but with an even deadlier threat!'. I walk up one flight of stairs, beat Chai in a QTE, walk to the next door and save Shenhua without even fighting anyone. Ryo had to go through hell and back just to make it the rooftop and catch a glimpse of Zhu and Lan Di in the previous game!

Yu Suzuki better come up with an explanation for this. I felt so raped once the credits showed up that I couldn't be bothered to look my name up in the credits.
I think you need to calm down. I'll find the ending for myself soon but that comment is so ott.

But the storyline did progress.

The mirrors are now in the hands of the Chi You Men. Lan Di has the Dragon Mirror and Niao Sun has the Phoenix. Meanwhile, we're on our way to the Cliff Temple where the Chi You Men headquarters are located. It's setting up for what could be an epic Shenmue IV if we get there.

I don't get the complaint that the story didn't progress...of course it did. That's not the issue.

The issue is how rushed the ending was and how underdeveloped some of the characters were. But the storyline did indeed progress. The stakes have never been higher considering the mirrors are now in the posession of two Chi you men leaders. (who are seemingly at war with one another)

Think you're being a bit hyperbolic.

Did anyone else think they were in for a 6/7 hour ride once they got to the castle? In my head I was thinking 'This will be like the yellow head building but with an even deadlier threat!'. I walk up one flight of stairs, beat Chai in a QTE, walk to the next door and save Shenhua without even fighting anyone. Ryo had to go through hell and back just to make it the rooftop and catch a glimpse of Zhu and Lan Di in the previous game!

Not gonna lie I was relieved it wasn't that long lol.

But the storyline did progress.

The mirrors are now in the hands of the Chi You Men. Lan Di has the Dragon Mirror and Niao Sun has the Phoenix. Meanwhile, we're on our way to the Cliff Temple where the Chi You Men headquarters are located. It's setting up for what could be an epic Shenmue IV if we get there.

I don't get the complaint that the story didn't progress...of course it did. That's not the issue.

The issue is how rushed the ending was and how underdeveloped some of the characters were. But the storyline did indeed progress. The stakes have never been higher considering the mirrors are now in the posession of two Chi you men leaders. (who are seemingly at war with one another)

Think you're being a bit hyperbolic.
That's all what happened in 40 hours. That's not progress

Locked. This is going around in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back