If it doesn’t happen...

Not a good idea, in retrospect, considering how this idea was being pushed around when everyone thought it was clear we would never get Shenmue 3.

No, this idea was pushed around when we had lost hope Shenmue III would ever be made pre kickstarter. No compromises.

A point and click visual novel would be better for me than a manga. I would hate for the story to all of the sudden be told in black and white panels like I'm going back to the 1950s or something. Yes, I know Manga can be colored, but very few ever bother adding color outside of the front and back page since manga artists want to pump their stuff out as fast and cheap as possible. I mean if they do go the manga route, then we might get it colored maybe, but who knows for sure. That is just me personally.

Last edited:
I'd read it, but I think the problem for me is the story in shenmue, is frankly, kind of negligible, like its so far got a couple interesting build ups but its mostly a pretty by the numbers revenge story with some wonky mysticism topped on it that might be retconed at this point, what makes shenmue work for me is the immersion of being lost in these locations and meeting the inhabitants or learning the cultures. Its a slice of life story with some kung fu on the side not the other way around.

I guess this is why 3 really doesnt urk me as much as others, I more or less got what I liked about the series, I cannot see this working as a manga.

I wouldn't be too happy about it if they tell the remaining story as a manga or novel. I have always liked to experience Shenmue 3 and beyond as a video game.

I want the games. If Yu Suzuki doesn’t have the opportunity to make more Shenmue games then I would buy the story in another medium.

Last edited:
In my opinion a Shenmue manga and anime would help the sales for the games. Manga and anime of Shenmue one till Shenmue 3 with more details of the story, with parts that Yu Suzuki had to cut in the games. More people can know Shenmue this way, more people can be interested in the games this way. 64E8834E-3FA2-4983-9921-F55E8747ED89.jpeg

I think people underestimate how expensive a shenmue anime would be, it'd fast be more expensive than just funding 4 outright.

I think people underestimate how expensive a shenmue anime would be, it'd fast be more expensive than just funding 4 outright.
I’m not saying is cheap, I’m just saying that it would help the franchise, more people can know Shenmue this way. I think this will not happen, I’m just dreaming about this.

Last edited:
I would prefer a game but if it’s going to be released in a different form, I’d want the original 1996 story. Actually I’d like to see the original story no matter what, it’d be interesting to see what changed.

Eww, no.

A game, please. And if they can't do it, we crowdfund another and all look like a bunch of idiots. Would be totally worth it.

I want a game. Imho, Shenmue's story is not what makes it special. If it had been released only as a manga or a novel 20 years ago, few people would remember it nowadays.

Back