If Lan Di was shown in the trailer, does that mean that there's something even bigger to come after that?

Willom

A Superstar Rock
Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Currently playing
Various
I don't know if they'd show the most significant event in the trailer, and we know Shenmue was supposed to last 8 games (but realistically it'll be 4 or 5). I think there'll be bigger events in Shenmue 3 than Ryo confronting Lan Di.

Maybe that's the moment when Ryo is supposed to lose against him.
I still believe the real fight takes place in Baisha for some reasons.

I REALLY hope it’s not one of those “character shows up in last minute and you have to wait for the next game” sort of thing.

Well, LanDi is supposed to be one of the four "bosses" of Chi You Men.
I personally don't expect the story to end with a LanDi confrontation.
I expect something shady about Iwao's past is going to be revealed, which could get us deeper than just finding LanDi, possibly in Shenmue3 as well.

There's something more. Remember they left out Niao Sun and I'm convinced Ziming had a huge role in this game.

I can't wait

The story is much bigger and deeper than Lan Di or shall I say....

Rantei.

Although the journey and the long adventure of the first two games has been amazing where the hero ryo has learned much through his successes and failures, the reality is that ryo hasn't even beaten any of the actual bosses of the game..... Namely.....

Entei, Rantei, Koutei, Gentei and the main one.... Tentei

Last edited:
Lan Di is one of the Chiyoumen bosses but is not the actual boss (Tentei is), so yeah, fighting / defeating Lan Di (doesn't mean we'll actually kill him but who knows) is just a small part of Ryo's journey.

Ziming is not one of the Chiyoumen bosses unless Suzuki-san changed this part of the story (it's still possible, but as I don't know what's going on, I cannot confirm anything). For the time being, he isn't. And just like you, I still think he has an important role.

Regarding Niao Sun, we should be facing her during Shenmue III and there's more to come.

There's a reason why we will be facing Niao Sun
(Entei....The pheonix/Fire Empress)

Because we are in Guilin.... Which is towards the south of China. And Niao Sun is the Master/Empress of the south.

After her, we'll probably be headed to other locations to defeat....

Rantei... The Blue dragon of the East
Koutei... The Eastern Tiger
Gentei... The Northern Turtle

And then... Tentei... The Heavenly Emperor...

Man... I find the History and Lore of this Game to be absolutely fascinating.

The biggest plot twist for me is if Lan Di purposefully baited Ryo into China for a geographic specific purpose that is in line with the prophecy described in the famous shenmue poem. The whole time everything was supposed to lead to that moment and Ryo bassically fell into a trap to me would be mind blowing.

The general theme of Shenmue II as you went on, to me at least, was that the story became much grander in scale and much more important than a simple revenge plot to kill Lan Di. The quest to find Lan Di and exact revenge still motivated Ryo, but by the time you meet Shenhua, you realize that Ryo is part of something much bigger and that he is fulfilling his destiny or fate by going on this journey. I believe that the meeting with Lan Di will happen maybe halfway or 3/4ths through the game and will be presented at first as the final battle between Lan Di and Ryo, but the way they are sitting tells me that Lan Di will likely tell Ryo something huge-- as someone else said, something about Iwao's past that causes Ryo to have conflicted feelings about his quest or something about the mirrors/Chi You Men that is so important or grave that it requires Ryo to keep on this journey outside of fighting Lan Di. Like others, I also believe that Lan Di will either escape alive or nearly kill Ryo but spare his life, no way that this is a fight you can win.

For a plot twist... How about iwao actually having a murky past and lan di actually being a decent fellow who took iwaos life based on justified reasons. And eventually after a few confrontations ryo and lan di join forces. Lol

Even if Iwao had done wrong... What sort of 'decent fellow' enters a family home and kills a father in front of his son?!

Shenmue's planned story arc is huge. I almost forgot how huge, until reminded by your spoilers. I can't help but wonder if we'll ever see the 'full' version as originally intended, or receive a truncated version to wrap it up sooner. I seem to recall reading somewhere in a 2015 interview that Yu was 'restructuring' Shenmue III's story, but also that Shenmue III was not planned to be the end of the saga.

We still have ziming, niao sun, the 4th mysterious chi you leader and tentei to get through. Lan di is the least of our problems in the grand scheme of things.

We still have ziming, niao sun, the 4th mysterious chi you leader and tentei to get through. Lan di is the least of our problems in the grand scheme of things.
Yu Suzuki confirmed some time ago Ziming is not one of the four leaders, meaning Lan Di and Niao Sun are the only named ones thus far, leaving two more we know very little about other than one of them being "[a] strategist using more cunning than head-on fighting."

Yu Suzuki confirmed some time ago Ziming is not one of the four leaders, meaning Lan Di and Niao Sun are the only named ones thus far, leaving two more we know very little about other than one of them being "[a] strategist using more cunning than head-on fighting."

Yes, that's what's Suzuki-san told me during the interview I've done. But like I said, story can still change. Right now, he's not one of them and I am sure of it, but who knows what Suzuki-san is going to do next :unsure:

So many things we have yet to discover ! I am excited ! :D

Even if Iwao had done wrong... What sort of 'decent fellow' enters a family home and kills a father in front of his son?!

I have always thought that at some point we would see that Lan Di was just like Ryo at his age, because of what Iwao did to Sunming Zhao. His lust for revenge led him astray and eventually down a dark path and into the Chi You Men because he was angry at Iwao and the world for what had happened to his dad. I think Lan Di might tell Ryo as much when they meet face to face and it will make Ryo think about what he's doing and perhaps take a different route.

I don't know. After all these years and only two games, for me, Lan Di has been the main bad guy. To finally have some sort of face-to-face confrontation between him and Ryo in Shenmue III, only to have a bait-and-switch deal occur with another bad guy who hasn't been seen in any of the games outside of concept art and such, would be a disappointment for me.

Kind of like Bane and Talia in The Dark Knight Rises. Bane was built up to be the big bad guy, only to be upstaged by the TRUE mastermind, who was incredibly underwhelming because of zero build-up.

But with decent build-up to any of the other villains mentioned previously, then I'd have no reason to complain if Lan Di doesn't end up being the "end-all" villain.

I have always thought that at some point we would see that Lan Di was just like Ryo at his age, because of what Iwao did to Sunming Zhao. His lust for revenge led him astray and eventually down a dark path and into the Chi You Men because he was angry at Iwao and the world for what had happened to his dad. I think Lan Di might tell Ryo as much when they meet face to face and it will make Ryo think about what he's doing and perhaps take a different route.

Problem is, we don't know if Iwao actually killed Lan Di's father. What happened in Mengcun is a HUGE part of the story and you have 2 options :

1. Someone lied to Lan Di to make sure he'd kill Iwao and bring back the mirrors
2. Iwao really killed him (Ryo doesn't believe this version of the story at this point) and we'll have to know why he actually had to

Both options sounds good to me, so it's difficult to pick up one, but I'll go with the second one. Iwao made it clear from the beginning : keep your friends, those you love, close to you. Maybe he couldn't protect and prevent his friend (Sunming Zhao) from following an evil path (and use the Dragon and Phoenix mirrors ?).

I hope we'll know the answer to this question while playing Shenmue III !

It blows my mind to think that, this time next year, some of these questions will be answered. Lan Di's motives have been debated and theorized for 18 years, and here we are about to find out, or at least learn a whole lot more as Shenmue III reveals its bigger picture.

Of course, Shenmue III will raise new questions, and no doubt we'll be debating the hell out of them late 2019.

Back