If Lan Di was shown in the trailer, does that mean that there's something even bigger to come after that?

If I remember correctly, yu Suzuki's favorite part of the entire story is in shenmue 3. This has me hyped. I've got a gut feeling it involves shenhua. And speaking of shenhua, I've got a feeling that yu Suzuki really wants her to feel alive and diverse as if though she's a real companion. His goal is probably to make the player get deeply attached to her....

(my speculation) Then at the end of the game, she's kidnapped... Leaving ryo (and by extension you the player) feeling like you've lost a soul mate.

Let's hope shenmue 4 happens sooner otherwise we'll be heart broken for the next 20 years.

I feel that this story is much bigger than we know it as now. Shenmue II only gave me more questions as the story was starting to feel much huger near the end of the game. I feel like Lan-Di is only a small part of something bigger. I am most curious to Niao-Sun's role in all of this though at this point at the moment.

I think that is them talking it out in the trailer. I don't think they'll fight but then again yu suzuki said they did. In fact Im going with iwao hazuki maybe got or started a cycle revenge and then lan di got revenge . Ryo decides to end the cycle of revenge and forgive. Lan di basically was on the same mission of revenge to kill iwao as Ryo is to kill lan di.

The chi you men i think will replace lan di as the bad guys. Dare i say maybe lan di and ryo will be unlikely allies?Maybe they do fight and lan di loses and that causes the chi you men to turn on him. defo see lan di becoming good, he is too popular a bad guy and they usually they do that with popular bad guys.

This is how i'd do the story I don't know any spoilers other than Ryo turns away from revenge and I think All shenmue fans know that at this point.

I don't know. After all these years and only two games, for me, Lan Di has been the main bad guy. To finally have some sort of face-to-face confrontation between him and Ryo in Shenmue III, only to have a bait-and-switch deal occur with another bad guy who hasn't been seen in any of the games outside of concept art and such, would be a disappointment for me.

Kind of like Bane and Talia in The Dark Knight Rises. Bane was built up to be the big bad guy, only to be upstaged by the TRUE mastermind, who was incredibly underwhelming because of zero build-up.

But with decent build-up to any of the other villains mentioned previously, then I'd have no reason to complain if Lan Di doesn't end up being the "end-all" villain.

I always thought that Shenmue II sort of inferred that there was something much bigger than Lan Di to the story. Once you start to learn about the mirrors, and meet Shenhua, everything becomes much bigger in scope as it becomes more about mythology, ancient rituals, treasure, etc.

That doesn't mean that Lan Di isn't the main villain, but I don't think Shenhua's poem or her place in the story is only to help Ryo find Lan Di. I think that the prophecy or whatever is outlined in her poems is ultimately what Shenmue is about, Lan Di's murder of Iwao is just what sets it in motion.

The trailer is about a prophecy saying a fucking dragon will emerge from beneath the Earth...

Of course something more grand than Lan Di is coming.

My personal theory is that when Ryo and Shenhua go back to the cave and remove the mirror, a dragon will emerge from underneath the ground, and they will be quite surprised.

After doing some stalking on the previous forum I dug out this:
Quote from guide: "Chi You Men is a secret organization that rules the Chinese black market. Lead by the most powerful man named 'Tentei,' four leaders operate the organization...It's Tentei who gave Lan Di the direct order to grab the Dragon and Phoenix mirrors, but his real intention is still in mystery."

'Tentei' also means 'The Heavenly Emperor' so it could also just be a title, apparently. Like how Lan Di is called 'The Blue Dragon'.

I'm also wondering because it was Tentei who gave the order to seize the Mirrors, is Tentei lying about Iwao murdering Lan Di's father to give Lan Di motivation? Either that or I'd expect him to be manipulating Lan Di somewhat for his own selfish gain.
So it looks like we will definitely be having another big bad after Lan Di.

My hunch for the antagonists:
Shenmue 3: Lan Di, Niao Sun, 'Turtle', 'Tiger'
Shenmue 4: Tentei + 'The Chi You' which he's trying to resurrect.
I don't know about you, but with all this interesting Chinese mythology if there's a Shenmue degree out there I'd like to quit my current course and enroll for that instead. :giggle:

Back