IGN gives Death Stranding a 6.8 review score

This is causing Sony fans to go absolutely nuts. Not only has IGN who gave MGSV a perfect score done the unthinkable but it seems they aren't the only few that hold an opinion that the game isn't great, some are giving it 9's but this is still a very decisive game.

It's sort of what I expected, the open world aspect of Metal Gear Solid V was the worst design decision for the project, it worked for Ground Zeroes as a focused mission in a decently sized area but MGS5's Open World lead to an uninspired location & a flood of generic Missions which were irrelevant to the progression of the story - I say this as someone who loved the series up until that point and didn't even mind Peace Walker. Like MGS5 The review notes on how the majoirty of the missions are fetch-quests and I can see that structure getting stale very quick.

Along with the idea having to balance your luggage and having it topple over, this is an idea that was also panned in NeverDead, in which you get knocked to bits and have to collect your limbs back, while it didn't mind the concept it sure did get frustrating! So it's a pass from me for now, probably buy it mid-late next year cheaper.

Frankly IGN was being generous at that, however I'm shocked they didn't give it a 9, because well It's IGN.

What people have suspected to be the case, is exactly what this "game" is(using the word game loosely here). It's literally nothing more then delivery man the game, that's all you do.

Well atleast the visuals look way better then in the trailers, so I guess it may appeal to graphic whores.

I feel sorry for Kojima fans, this is going to disappoint most of them. The few "game" game mechanics that do exist, does nothing but slow down progress, which would be fine if there were rewarding aspects sprinkled throughout, but there Isn't(you are literally just doing fetch quest type quests, to unlock more/the next fetch quests).

Frankly IGN was being generous at that, however I'm shocked they didn't give it a 9, because well It's IGN.

What people have suspected to be the case, is exactly what this "game" is(using the word game loosely here). It's literally nothing more then delivery man the game, that's all you do.

Well atleast the visuals look way better then in the trailers, so I guess it may appeal to graphic whores.

I feel sorry for Kojima fans, this is going to disappoint most of them. The few "game" game mechanics that do exist, does nothing but slow down progress, which would be fine if there were rewarding aspects sprinkled throughout, but there Isn't(you are literally just doing fetch quest type quests, to unlock more/the next fetch quests).

How far into the game are you?

How far into the game are you?

You don't need to handle trash, to know It's trash.

Literally everything shown off about this game has been a dumpster fire, and none of the reviews claim any of that has changed.

It's so hilarious listening to the reviews that try to spin it into a positive, because they don't even sound like reviews, they start like writing a poem or whatnot, trying to embellish the feeling of the scenery/traversing through such.

Basically even the people hyping it up, can't avoid the impication, that It's nothing but a glorified walking sim.

When you're older then time its self, you get really good at analyzing things. It's a very useful skill to develop(prevents you from needlessly wasting money, and time).

Last edited:
The way Kojima just gathers as many celebs as possible and puts them in this game as a stunt to generate buzz is the most shameful part. What other developer goes out there way to such an extent, he knows how much fame he has and is using it as a tool to pretend he's making a work of art.

The way Kojima just gathers as many celebs as possible and puts them in this game as a stunt to generate buzz is the most shameful part. What other developer goes out there way to such an extent, he knows how much fame he has and is using it as a tool to pretend he's making a work of art.

Yea sigh I agree. Imagine if he spent that time, and even more so, that money on gameplay instead.

I'm not defending what scumbags Konami did/the way they went about such, but It's easy to understand why there was bad blood between them.

We all know Kojima doesn't know how to handle money, but It's even worse then that. Kojima doesn't seem to understand that more money you put into a game, the higher quality the game needs to be, to warrant such.

Kojima literally ignored the gameplay aspect. What little gamelay there is, comes off as half baked at best, if not just downright bad.

The worst part is, I'm pretty positive Kojima is intentionally doing this. It's not a whoops, made a miscalc situation. He doesn't even want to make games it would seem, what he really wants, it to be in the movie industry instead.

Still getting it day 1. There's been plenty of great reviews of it out there (funny how none of those got their own thread here...) and I generally enjoy Kojima's quirky adventures. That and... I can't really say I'd take IGN as a decent source for anything, I mean its the same place that gave Godhand a 3, and had someone give Football Manager a hilariously bad score because its a football management game. Lets not ignore the whole plagiarism scandal...

The ign review is special because is off track. All the other reviews are glowing.

Even the normally super critical german gaming review website 4 players gave it 95 per cent which is isane.

But tastes are different. So no reason to argue about it. I have seen a few more vids about DS and my verdict is always the same.

It looks just boring, and I cannot see what other people see in the game that makes them super hyped.

index.jpg

But never mind. I hope all the fans and other gamers that are into this game will have many nice hours playing it .

I'll probably get it somewhere down the line. Not a fan of Kojima or long cutscenes, and not massively hyped for it, but to me the actual game itself seems novel. Like Lack of Love on the Dreamcast was novel.

As long as there is a skip dialogue/cutscene button, I'm all good.

Seems to me his main complaints are that:
-it's slow paced
-it makes you work to fast travel
-It simulates things a bit too realistically
-trolls making him go up a ladder leading no where?

To me it appears to be a matter of personal taste. I'm sure it will make a great amount of people bored, just like shenmue did, but just like shenmue it appears to do well what it set out to do. Anyway I'll wait until I've finally played it until I give a real opinion.

There's a big difference between people hating something because they don't like the genre, from someone who's a expert of such analyzing such.

Furthermore there's a big difference between a new schooler jumping on a bandwagon/speaking off the cuff, vs someone older then time, who is well versed in game design, and does a very indepth analysis of such.

Taking statements out of context, Isn't cool.

When you know game design as well as I do, all you need to know is the execution key points, to know if It's going to work well or not, and how such would interact with other systems/features. Not like that's even needed to figure out the major flaws in this piece of trash.

A quest driven game, where the quests are uninspired fetch quests, speaks for its self. Then if you want to dig deeper into the systems, the other mechanics of the game are in conflict of each other, so much so even these access media feel the need to point such out.

All of the systems in the game seem to be designed just to slow everything down even more. In otherwords are just padding to make up for the lack of actual content.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound good for Shenmue 3 reviews tbh. Reminds me when US reviewers criticized Myst series and Shenmue 1 for not being Doom.

DS is no Shenmue. Never was never will be. Superficially there might be some similarities but Shenmue seems to way better with immersion. You can identify with Ryo. Especially as younger player. It is about journey about a young guy to find his place in the world. Of course everything is over the top in the game but the core story is quite relatable.

But what about this Porter Bridges guy. He seems rather bland and if you are not a an of Norman Reedus there seems to be nothing about the character to like.

He seems rather boring, not over the top in a cool way like the characters of previous Kojjima games. He seems not to have the "qualities" of Solid Snake, Big Boss, Gillian Seed and Jonathan Ingram.

Porter Bridges just seems to be boring dude compared to other Kojima characters. But who knows maybe there is something like character development in during the game..

There's a big difference between people hating something because they don't like the genre, from someone who's a expert of such analyzing such.

Furthermore there's a big difference between a new schooler jumping on a bandwagon/speaking off the cuff, vs someone older then time, who is well versed in game design, and does a very indepth analysis of such.

I'm not even sure what you're getting at. Are you trying to say you're a sixty year old designer and/or journalist or summat? If so, where are you from? What are your credentials? Please point me to these in depth analyses, rather than sweeping statements of zero substance. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy finding inventive ways of calling things shit too, but I play them for laughs rather than just churning out pretentious posts and condescending comments.

Doesn't sound good for Shenmue 3 reviews tbh. Reminds me when US reviewers criticized Myst series and Shenmue 1 for not being Doom.

I see where you'e coming from with this, but there's a big difference in the case of Shenmue from DS, and even Myst.

Shenmue not only has loads of content, but almost as important is the variety in gameplay in of its self. Not to mention Shenmue has multipe types of rewarding aspects going on here.

I'm not even sure what you're getting at. Are you trying to say you're a sixty year old designer and/or journalist or summat? If so, where are you from? What are your credentials? Please point me to these in depth analyses, rather than sweeping statements of zero substance. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy finding inventive ways of calling things shit too, but I play them for laughs rather than just churning out pretentious posts and condescending comments.

You're still young, you will hopefully eventually understand how to spot trash, without touching it. Game design is very much a exact science, once you know how various systems work, you can figure out how they interact with each other, and effect the bigger picture.

Back