IGN: Yu Suzuki Talks Shenmue 4, Air Twister, and 40 Years of Game Development

Sonoshee

Account Removed at Users Request
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Cookie Cutter
IGN talk to Yu Suzuki in a new article released today, November 1st:

“I want Shenmue 4 to be enjoyable for newcomers,” he said. “To make that possible, the most important thing is to make it enjoyable without knowing previous events in the story. I don’t think that a new player wants to know 100% of the story. 20 or 30% could be enough. In Shenmue 3, we implemented a digest movie that teaches the player the main events of the previous games, but for Shenmue 4 I want to integrate that part into the main game. It would be great if the player could naturally learn about previous events just by playing the game. For example, rather than watching a separate movie, having playable flashbacks could be a way to do it.”

For a long-running game series, making a sequel inviting for inexperienced players is always a big task, especially for a story-focused series like Shenmue. Once in a similar position, the Yakuza series made a shift by releasing Yakuza 0 in 2015. This prequel became a turning point for the franchise, especially in the West. We asked if Suzuki had thought of a similar approach for Shenmue.

“Yes, I have. I cannot go into detail at this point, but it is something I have been thinking about,” he said. “I think recreating the streets of Dobuita with modern visuals on a new engine alone would make it worth doing. It also connects to the topic of not simply expanding in size. Making an even more detailed Dobuita than the original Shenmue is an interesting idea, especially if it’s not a remake but a prequel with a new story.”

Glad to see him at least discuss Shenmue IV a little. Unfortunately though, this seems to heavily imply they are not currently working on it. As much as a Shenmue 0- type game sounds great, I don’t really want that until the story is finished. Sort of depressing though that, if it is true they are not working on Shenmue IV, they couldn’t get anyone interested in funding after the remakes, anime, kickstarter, etc. Can’t think of anything that will change to make that situation any better.

Guys, remember in 2014 when Yu Suzuki was asked in interviews about Shenmue 3 he would talk about it as if he wasn’t working on it with his classic “if the circumstances are right, I’d like to make it.” Meanwhile, he was busy at that point behind-the-scenes doing preliminary work to get the Kickstarter project ready with Sony in-time for E3. He could very well be working on Shenmue 4 here as well, while speaking about it as if it’s not being worked on and this is just interview NDA speak. Until he says “Shenmue 4 isn’t happening, we’re not working on it” - we can do as Cedric says and Keep the faith!

Last edited:
Thank god for this interview! The part with the density aspect (larger areas as an advertising tool was spot on in my opinion) , flashbacks in Dobuita and the train was getting my imagination going. I instantly thought that the Start of Shenmue IV would get our Hero onto a train, where every once in a while flashbacks of old story segments would occur. After the "first disc" we would be jumping of the train into a new city with a totally different cultural feel and a scense of mystery to it. Maybe on the foot of the himalayas and tibetan buddhist culture or something (like in Uncharted 2).

That being said... I love the fact that he is constantly thinking about his lifelong work and masterpiece that is Shenmue! Keep the faith people, just keep the faith and it will happen...:love:

I can certainly say I will always be thankful for Shenmue 3, I am happy it exists and would never want an alternate universe where it never came out… yes, it was weak on story, but I still enjoyed it very much for what it was. I am happy he’s still eager for Shenmue 4 and I would certainly love any form of a new Shenmue continuation. The story itself and the mystery sucked fans in and if he wants it to resonate strongly with the niche core of us Shenmue fans, it needs to have a very strong and heavy hitting story progression.

It's a very interesting interview. I think this is the most he has talked about Shenmue in an interview since Shenmue 3 was released.

The depressing aspect is that it does sound like Shenmue IV is not in development. But at least he is keeping the hope alive and sharing the kind of ideas he has for the series.

A fresh reboot or even a prequel is an interesting idea. Would I prefer Shenmue IV in the exact same style as the three previous games? Absolutely. But if he is thinking about wider appeal and the longevity of the franchise, then it would make sense. It's a difficult one.

Shenmue IV would sell worse than Shenmue 3. That is surely got to be the main concern for any potential publisher. With a series like that, the way the story is written, you are more likely to lose fans with each new game than you are gain new ones. No one wants to join a story half way through.

It's a very interesting interview. I think this is the most he has talked about Shenmue in an interview since Shenmue 3 was released.

The depressing aspect is that it does sound like Shenmue IV is not in development. But at least he is keeping the hope alive and sharing the kind of ideas he has for the series.

A fresh reboot or even a prequel is an interesting idea. Would I prefer Shenmue IV in the exact same style as the three previous games? Absolutely. But if he is thinking about wider appeal and the longevity of the franchise, then it would make sense. It's a difficult one.

Shenmue IV would sell worse than Shenmue 3. That is surely got to be the main concern for any potential publisher. With a series like that, the way the story is written, you are more likely to lose fans with each new game than you are gain new ones. No one wants to join a story half way through.
I think shenmue 4 is in development remember how quiet he was when asked in interviews about shenmue 3 in 2014 he would just say he would like to do it but he was making deals at that time if we don’t get announcement by the end or 2024 then we should start getting worried in the meantime it’s just a waiting game

Last edited:
Guys, remember in 2014 when Yu Suzuki was asked in interviews about Shenmue 3 he would talk about it as if he wasn’t working on it with his classic “if the circumstances are right, I’d like to make it.” Meanwhile, he was busy at that point behind-the-scenes doing preliminary work to get the Kickstarter project ready with Sony in-time for E3. He could very well be working on Shenmue 4 here as well, while speaking about it as if it’s not being worked on and this is just interview NDA speak. Until he says “Shenmue 4 isn’t happening, we’re not working on it” - we can do as Cedric says and Keep the faith!
@Reprise see over here this guy explained it correctly thank you @Revan

I think shenmue 4 is in development remember how quiet he was when asked in interviews about shenmue 3 in 2014 he would just say he would like to do it if we don’t get announcement by the end or 2024 then we should start getting worried in the meantime it’s just a waiting game
Shenmue 3 didn’t start development until after the kickstarter in 2015 though so not understanding this post

i mean its pretty obvious he wont say he work on shenmue even if he is he will try is best to make it look like its not the case so i dont give to much importance to this but in the interview he clearly say he work on a new game (new ip) so yeah maybe he really doesnt work on shenmue 4

“Besides Shenmue, there are various ideas for other games that I would like to make,” he said. “And while I cannot go into detail about it today, we are working on a new game right now.”

Perfect response! 👏

Yeah, I would assume the other game is not Shenmue IV sadly. It might be something else exciting though. I said it before, but if he made a new arcade 3D fighter as a spiritual successor to Virtua Fighter or a racing game similar to Outrun, then I would lose my shit.

In fact, imagine this: He works on a new 3D fighter that is a spiritual successor to Virtua Fighter AND then he uses the knowledge and experience he gains from that project to implement that fighting system into an eventual Shenmue IV. That would be awesome.

But I keep feeling how the years are slipping us by at an alarming rate. Yu Suzuki is not getting younger and the more time passes, the less likely it is that we will get a successor ☹️

But I keep feeling how the years are slipping us by at an alarming rate. Yu Suzuki is not getting younger and the more time passes, the less likely it is that we will get a successor
Yu Suzuki has children, doesn't he? I'm not sure if they want to or already work in the same field as their father, but maybe they will take over when Yu Suzuki retires. In any case, YS Net will still exist, won't it? It's all speculation.

Yu Suzuki has children, doesn't he? I'm not sure if they want to or already work in the same field as their father, but maybe they will take over when Yu Suzuki retires. In any case, YS Net will still exist, won't it? It's all speculation.
I’d prefer the yakuza team takes over if yu suzuki god forbid ever dies before shenmue is finish or retires because a lot of people that worked on yakuza came from shenmue

Last edited:
I’d prefer the yakuza team takes over if yu suzuki god forbid ever dies before shenmue is finish or retires because a lot of people that worked on yakuza came from shenmue
It's my personal opinion, and it's probably an unpopular one, but I really hope they never touch Shenmue. They would probably turn it into a cringe meme-fest. However, a Shenmue game on the Dragon Engine sounds promising on paper.

What's Vampire Survivors? I always like checking out games he name drops. They're usually very interesting.

And I get what you mean, Kenzo. The NPC/street interactions would all be really over the top. They usually do okay with the cutscene tone, though., and play it straight.

Once in a similar position, the Yakuza series made a shift by releasing Yakuza 0 in 2015. This prequel became a turning point for the franchise, especially in the West. We asked if Suzuki had thought of a similar approach for Shenmue.

Yes, I have. I cannot go into detail at this point, but it is something I have been thinking about.

This part right here is the most curious to me. They bring up a hypothetical approach like Yakuza 0 and Yu says he has considered that for Shenmue but can’t go into detail at this point. Now I’m not sure if he only briefly thought about this approach but not to the point where he can speak in specifics or there is something either being made or planned. I’m not leaning one way or another but it’s just weird he threw up the “I can’t go into detail at this point.

On top of that he later says that exact same phrasing “And while I cannot go into detail about it today, we are working on a new game right now.” Unless it’s some lower budget/mobile game or a game he isn’t the main producer on I can’t imagine him working on anything of huge significance unless it’s Shenmue related.

What's Vampire Survivors? I always like checking out games he name drops. They're usually very interesting.
It's an arcade-style top-down 2D action game that also has long-term character development. In the moment to moment gameplay, you only control character movement as swarms of enemies approach you. Your attacks fire off automatically on their own rhythmic cadence, so you don't press a fire button at all - you just position yourself as best you can based on the attack range and direction. Enemies leave behind items to collect that will build up a meter to periodically unlock choices between various types of power-ups and additional attacks, so you eventually become extremely powerful as the enemy types are also becoming more challenging. Some of the power-ups are single-use in-game and others will carry over to your future games.

It's a fun game that has established its own genre, with many others like it following in its wake. One that I actually prefer because it's faster-paced is Void Scrappers.

Back