IGN: Yu Suzuki Talks Shenmue 4, Air Twister, and 40 Years of Game Development

After announcing it in the lines of "and now the sequel that everyone expected", and "a saga begins" lolol

Oof, could you imagine 😅 :ROFLMAO:

As hard as it is, I have a feeling that we have to be very patient, despite the 4-year wait for an announcement.

My sixth sense tells me that we should probably wait until at least 2025 for Shenmue 4. An announcement in 2024 will ease things somewhat.

4 years is a long time but given the covid issues at the beginning it is somewhat understandable. My guess is that Shenmue 4 was in development, right after 3, but because of the problems around the world, the publisher backed out. Development may have stopped for about 1 year or more.

All in all, maybe we should be patient because the game might not come out soon. We have to play other games in the meantime... Nothing can be done. Let's hope Yu-san has found a publisher. :)

Last edited:
By saying we struck lightning, you're meaning we got lucky. We didn't. We worked hard and it paid off.

As for my "tone", is it hardly surprising with the amount of negativity around here from certain people? Either you want to focus on what "brings us together" or you want to be negative. Pick a side.

"It is amazing that this series still has fans that have stuck with them for 25 years" isn't what I would call bringing us together.

Getting worried about not getting a Shenmue 4 is understandable, but at the same time isn't going to get us anywhere. We keep plugging away.
So I guess if we just “work hard” we can force a 4th game? I’m just being realistic - as I’ve said, Cedric and probably others have said they won't crowdfund the 4th game. The fans have done everything asked for and we will continue as we’ve always done. Ultimately, whether we get a 4th game or not will depend on how much investors are willing to risk and whether Yu will work within that budget.

Bringing us together is having tough conversations as fans about what we think needs to be done to continue this series. We won’t always agree and that is fine. It is not negativity to hear an opinion you don’t agree with. Get over it.

And again you quoted something I said that was meant to be positive about Shenmue fans and construed it somehow as negative. I really think you need to take a step back sometimes before you lash out at people.

Not sure if this a fair comparison, but i look at the way that Yu speaks about Air Twister (i.e talks about future updates and stuff) and the way he speaks about s4, and it's very telling to me that he hasn't started the development of the game yet :(

Here the question we have to ask ourselves…. does it make financial sense to invest in Shenmue 4? Take all the emotion out of it and answer truthfully.

Every time someone wins the lottery I hope that that person might just might be a fan of Shenmue.

Absolutely! It makes more sense that they do it now, than ever before.

Ysnet have experience with unreal engine, they have a lot of ready material to use, they should already have an idea of what the game will be. The investment will surely return. I'd say a lot of people who said they didn't like Shenmue 3 will still buy Shenmue 4 out of curiosity. Especially if the reviews goes up from 7/10 to 8/10.

There are plenty of fans ready to spend their money for a new installment and just waiting to do so. I guarantee you there are dozens of riskier projects than Shenmue 4.

So I guess if we just “work hard” we can force a 4th game? I’m just being realistic - as I’ve said, Cedric and probably others have said they won't crowdfund the 4th game. The fans have done everything asked for and we will continue as we’ve always done. Ultimately, whether we get a 4th game or not will depend on how much investors are willing to risk and whether Yu will work within that budget.

Bringing us together is having tough conversations as fans about what we think needs to be done to continue this series. We won’t always agree and that is fine. It is not negativity to hear an opinion you don’t agree with. Get over it.

And again you quoted something I said that was meant to be positive about Shenmue fans and construed it somehow as negative. I really think you need to take a step back sometimes before you lash out at people.

Working hard didn't stop us from getting Shenmue 3, did it? Why would it be any different to getting Shenmue 4?
Cedric said he wouldn't crowdfund the 4th game because it wasn't needed.
As of now, YSNet has increased their office space, Yu Suzuki is talking about S4 (and he's not flat out said it isn't happening) and he's got more projects on the go.
There's absolutely no reason to be panicking at the moment but despite this, you're intent on doing so.

Whether I agree with your opinion or not is irrelevant, it's more the fact you are ignoring all positives and focusing more on the negatives.
We know what needs to be done - continuing the push on socials every month, supporting Yu wherever we can and keeping our mindset right. It's that simple. There isn't anything more we can do short of one of us winning the lottery and funding it ourselves.

But I love how you turn this around on me as being the negative, priceless.:LOL:

Breaking news: Esra was pinching Yu-san musle while asking about Shenmue IV.
Look
image1.jpg
Look more empirric proves
ys.jpg
He is clearly in pain and Esra's eye contact sends violent vibes. Open your eyes dont be a sheep.

Might be irrational, but my concern is Yu is getting up there in age. He'll be in his 70s, before you know it, even though Japanese people have a higher life expectancy, we gotta get this done pretty soon. It can't be easy running a studio as a young person, let alone as a senior citizen.

I read this as YSNet trying to find a tactic cash flow to guarantee Shenmue 4 funding, maybe to reassure potential publishers.

At the time, success of Virtua Fighter 4 was supposed to cover the loss made by Shenmue 1&2 but Sega disagreed with the argument. Likely the main source of Yu's bitterness towards Sega since they pull apart.

Cool interview. Putting in like playable flashbacks to catch people up instead of just a "Shenmue: The Movie" sorta thing sounds maybe too ambitious but it sounds really funny so why not.
As a newer fan I wouldn't really stress about a fourth installment happening or not, because from all the interviews I've read it really comes off as Shenmue will finish when they feel like making another game. III is only just turning four years old tomorrow so I wouldn't take no real updates as of right now as a bad thing. It's important to keep in mind that Suzuki is an arcade guy so it's only expected for him to wanna focus on a ton of arcadey stuff like Air Twister once he got his company up & running instead of something really ambitious and expensive like Shenmue. Shenmue is kind of his baby though so I can't imagine him just giving up on it even if he doesn't necessarily have the funding to keep it massive, so like worst case scenario the rest of the games would be like weird Telltale-ass sorta things like that final disc of II. If he unfortunately passes before the story ends he's passionate enough abt the series that I feel like he probably has some guys over at YsNet that would be able to finish the story the way he wanted it to if that were to happen. Although I'm a new fan and I haven't gotten around to playing III yet, so maybe I don't know squat XD

Back