I'm surprised people are complaining

Some people seem to be upset that their not getting a complete remaster of these 2 games. Don't they understand that their only paying 30$ for both games? You're getting better versions with 1080p for only 30$! Then their complaining about a Xbox version of shenmue 2? The Xbox version in 1080p with japanese voices, modern controls and the ability to save anywhere in the game is better than a dreamcast version! This is such a good deal that I'm buying 3 copies. You can't buy these 2 games on the dreamcast for under $30. If you was being charged $60-120 I could understand but you're not. I just hope everyone realizes how good of a deal this actually is.

Well, I would have been more surprised if nobody was complaining. Has anything like that ever happened? :alien:
I wasn't expecting the price to be that low as well, btw. Sure was expecting $60.

If the games were remade people would complain the original games are better. If the games weren't rereleased as a remaster people would complain about the graphics.

You can save anywhere in both games, Shenmue I does over it but it's called Resume and you must turn off the console or open the lid (soft reset so to speak) when you save. I don't really tend to use it in Shenmue I, I still tend to wait to the end of the day and save in the Room like everyone else, But I see it online alot that people don't seem to know you can save anywhere anytime in Shenmue I.

It's just a somewhat inconvenient option that kinda forces you to stop the game when you just wanted to save the game, But never the less you can save the game in the middle of Dubuita during the day if you like.

The problem with the resume feature is that it deletes your save after you load it up. The feature can help in a pinch but not being able to effectively keep continuing is still an inconvenience. Also, I know someone who was confused that his save kept getting lost, as he just didn't understand what the info box told him. There are likely more people out there who experienced this.

The game's engine allows for real saves anywhere, but only in the Beta. These are still a little bit limited as they drop you off at an entry point of an area and not exactly where Ryo was standing. Still anxious to see if it will be like this in I&II or really work like in Shenmue II.

For me it's more about the missed opportunity and minimal effort it would take to upgrade the graphics. The game sold over a million copies on a doomed console and is considered one of the greatest games ever made. 16 years later, you have people playing and even making games that were not born or playing video games at the time.

You re-release a 16 year old game with dated graphics, sluggish controls and probably some frustrating mechanics (for the time) and you're not going to appeal to much more than the established fan base. Spend a little money significantly updating the graphics and refining the controls and you have a game that appeals to the broader base.

My fear is that only the hardcore Shenmue fans will buy Shenmue III and probably put Shenmue IV in doubt. Do a decent job with this re-release and suddenly you have half a million or more people interested in the third game.

You don't seem to be aware that they have updated the controls. Players can choose the original or 'modern' control scheme.

Reactions: AXM
The time for a such a massive significant remake of the game is not now. Sega was never going to do this if it wasn't for Shenmue 3 coming out. A remake or any major remastering of the game would take too much time and effort to justify yet. They simply don't have the time to develop such a product before Shenmue 3 launches.

We really only need this HD release for one major reason. Hype train.
The HD release needs to be out in the wild, getting reviewed by first timers and the word being spread as soon as possible so Shenmue 3 has more than veteran fans buying it. Marketing wise, this is the perfect timing to capitalize and get the hype train going.

And if you aren't hyped then I question how long and how closely you have been following the roller coaster of Shenmue development hell these past 16 years.

Years ago this would have been a miracle. Like an actual act of God. Sega did not care about us at all until Yu Suzuki blew the roof off at E3 2015.

Last edited:
Who wants to turn off the console or open the lid when you save ? Most people have to use a boot disk for shenmue 2. It's a pain... Nathaniali understand what you're saying but like I said you're only paying $30. No one is getting ripped off..

I feel no need for a remake, I'm content with the game as it is... but I want the initial experience to be preserved and restored for modern gamers - For an example, take the PS3 HD Remasters of PS2 games:ps3hd.JPG
These releases are some of the finest on the system, taking older beloved titles and presenting them to function and thrive of a modern system. The cutscenes and overall experience should be re-fitted for modern purpose. Having 4:3 cutscenes is a massive deal breaker for me, I so SO want to be enthused by this release but with such a cinematic game like Shenmue 2 having it's cutscenes in 4:3 & Letter boxed is such a wasted opportunity - The insult to injury also being that in their Pre-Order trailer, they showed the Shenmue 2 Cutscenes in full 16:9 & it looked great!

With past HD Collections setting standards it is disappointing to see this release fall below that standard and worthy of criticism. But of course I really want the best for this release and hope SEGA & d3t resolve the issue.

People will always complain. Complaining is easy.

But there are still a few things they could have improved. And some just expected much more, like actual remakes.

Nathanial Essex let's say they did update the graphics. Do you truly believe a shenmue with better graphics would satisfy this new generation of gamers that's playing games like the witcher 3? They would have to make this game 50 time's bigger with new voice acting to please these kids. It would take years and would be a big risk on their part. We're lucky to even get this.

It would be nice if the cutscenes were in 16:9 . Other than that it's perfect for me ☺️.

Last edited:
Copy and paste from my reply on the last topic about this.

I've been playing the games through emulation for the last 7 or so years and while it's convenient there's a definite immersion trade-off when graphical glitches appear.

I'm sure someone has run the numbers from a marketing point of view and worked out what % of the potential player base will be new and put off by the game's (by today's standards) old fashioned graphics etc. and concluded that it's not a demographic they should pursue.

I think it's amazing these ports are even being released at all, from a costing point of view I think it makes a lot more sense for Sega to release an up-scaled port like this than to sink more money into a series which hasn't exactly been profitable for them.

I think it's important to bear in mind that Shenmue III isn't happening because of newcomers, it's the result of a passionate but relatively small fan-base that refused to stop asking about it and when presented with the opportunity to help donated generously.

Shenmue does not and will never have the biggest most commercially attractive audience, I wouldn't worry about what impact reviews of the re-release will have on the future of the series. Even an up-scaled port with a less desirable aspect ratio will give people a solid introduction to the series.

It has a lot going for it, name recognition as a (not so hidden) gem, it's available across a good number of platforms and is priced well. I certainly think it's a better accompaniment than Shenmue The Movie was when the second game got ported to the Xbox.

I'll just echo the above. The fact that we are getting these remakes is special. Would it have happened without the wave that 3 made probably not.

Sega are monitoring the series closely and testing the waters with these enhanced ports is a good cost effective way of doing it. If these and 3 are successful (Sega have been taken back by the amount of pre orders of the remakes) then Sega may get properly behind the series and do 4 and maybe proper remasters.

I'll just echo the above. The fact that we are getting these remakes is special. Would it have happened without the wave that 3 made probably not.

Sega are monitoring the series closely and testing the waters with these enhanced ports is a good cost effective way of doing it. If these and 3 are successful (Sega have been taken back by the amount of pre orders of the remakes) then Sega may get properly behind the series and do 4 and maybe proper remasters.

I hope so ?.

I'm not complaining but I would have preferred to pay 60$ per game if it meant the did significant work to modernise it. That may just be me though.

The simple fact they were able to get these games, especially 1, running on modern hardware at all without using emulation is a damn miracle if you know anything about the game's source code.

I am happy as can be with what they're putting out.

Back