I'm surprised people are complaining

@BlueMue The resume saving being deleted upon load is something I didn't know about, But when I've used resume when I do load the game up again I do actually play it till another save, I haven't resumed then turned off the console.

It is kinda strange that it would delete the original save after load because as far I know it's saving over the original file and not creating another one.

It's hard to complain when your favorite game is finally getting a rerelease but this is one of the most barebones ports Ive seen from any collection. Its not out yet so who knows maybe its better than we think and its packed with cool features, I'll hold judgement till its out

Something these remasters have, which alone would make it worth the money, is the fact that loading screens are just a second or two. Finally after all these years it will be damn near seamless going through locations and buildings.

Yeah I hardly say much about the games. But with what we were given I am happy. Sega did not have give us anything. If it was not for Yu Suzuki we would never have gotten this rerelease. I hope for success for that man and his future endeavors.

I echo the sentiment that we are very, very fortunate to have this re-release at all. I am beyond happy about it even though we wont get everything that is on our wish list.

Copy and paste from my reply on the last topic about this.

I've been playing the games through emulation for the last 7 or so years and while it's convenient there's a definite immersion trade-off when graphical glitches appear.

I'm sure someone has run the numbers from a marketing point of view and worked out what % of the potential player base will be new and put off by the game's (by today's standards) old fashioned graphics etc. and concluded that it's not a demographic they should pursue.

I think it's amazing these ports are even being released at all, from a costing point of view I think it makes a lot more sense for Sega to release an up-scaled port like this than to sink more money into a series which hasn't exactly been profitable for them.

I think it's important to bear in mind that Shenmue III isn't happening because of newcomers, it's the result of a passionate but relatively small fan-base that refused to stop asking about it and when presented with the opportunity to help donated generously.

Shenmue does not and will never have the biggest most commercially attractive audience, I wouldn't worry about what impact reviews of the re-release will have on the future of the series. Even an up-scaled port with a less desirable aspect ratio will give people a solid introduction to the series.

It has a lot going for it, name recognition as a (not so hidden) gem, it's available across a good number of platforms and is priced well. I certainly think it's a better accompaniment than Shenmue The Movie was when the second game got ported to the Xbox.

Agreed, reviews aren't what attracted me but the opposite. I remember the harsh reviews against the xbox release of Shenmue 2 in game informer, on gamestop and even the official xbox magazine which basically summed it up what the mainstream thought. If anything, the pure hate and low reviews made me love the game even more.

Did some forget, that a lot of us here would have lost our minds if they released shenmue1+2 for the 360 or ps3? WITH the long loading screens and possible bugs attached.
Kudos to running wolf ,Bambi, and others in this thread. People will nit pick but i remember when people would have been happy with the shenmue saga being finished with a book.....

Maybe why they're complaining is the fact that they want gamers from around the world to acknowledge shenmue for what it should have been all those years ago and want the game to succeed to that point in all of our minds. Or for personal reasons.

Be happy with what we're gettting, because we are getting a bone, and then Some.

@OldFarT (love the user name btw) That's the way it goes people will always pick. Who is to say this wouldn't have happened without Shenmue 3 coming? What I do know is we as a community asked for this and now we are getting it.

I will repeat my sentiments from other threads, lets make this game and 3 a success and then we get more Shenmue. Sega have already been surprised by the amount of pre-orders for this so lets make this advantage count now. They are onside with us lets give them food for thought. This sells well along with 3 who says we won't get fully rebuilt Shenmue 1 and 2 down the line? The future of this series is bigger than aspect ratio or anything else.

Sega see this as an experiment for the series. It is vital will prove it successful.

What exactly are people complaining about anyway? What's different between the original versions and the HD versions?

I love how everyone here is saying 'remaster' when SEGA have been very careful in never calling them as such. They are ports with changes made to make them valid, functional ports. Nothing more and it's more than we ever expected. People would complain they wanted an old school 'original' experience if they had gone in and upgraded all the textures and models etc.

I think the main takeaway here is that regardless of what course Sega take people will complain.

As you've said this is a port really nothing more and as long as there's no game breaking bugs I'm in the happy camp.

it's human nature. You start jogging, you run 1 mile, you want to run 2, you run 5 miles, you want to run 10. You make a band and put stuff out on soundcloud, you have 10 followers and you want 20, you have 2500 and you want 5000. It's a moving scale all the time. Especially with the youngins'. I think you really needed to be playing Dreamcast games in the year 2000 to really grasp the level of what's happening here with Shenmue. (some elitism, sorry)

This fits in with my demographic, I'm 38 years old, was 19 when I played these games. So right now there's a 48-50 year old getting pumped about some Atari VCS re-releases, which I personally don't care about. All perspective.

Last edited:
People like to complain and some people will never be happy. I was around back then as a gamer, but did not play Shenmue until recently so I see things a bit different.Shenmue is a relict from the past. This type of games are not made today anymore. I mean that in a postive way. Thats what I love about Shenmue. It is a great game.

But it is a type of Game that is not for everbody. In it's basic form it won't fit the taste of the main stream guys today. They want easy games. With lots of tutorials. Many modern games do not have to to patience to exlore the area and find out what to do without any help. But that is one of the features I like about Shenmue.

You are not playing as Ryo, you are Ryo. You get dragged into world of Shenmue. Something I have not seen in many modern games of the last decade.

to make Shenmue mainstream you would have to remake the game from start. In the end it would not be the Shenmue of 1999 anymore.

So it is great that Sega left Shenmue in its orginal form to preserve it.

Back