Important Audio Design Detail For Shenmue 3

This reminded be of another video I found time ago, although more centered on stealth/action games.
Shenmue is clearly a different type of game, but I found quite insightful at the time.
Dynamic soundtracks is really an interesting subject, looking forward to see how music will work in S3.

I wouldn't really know what to expect from Shenmue 3, given the fact that I didn't quite understand yet how the "open world" which is being talked about, is going to be implemented this time around.

Last edited:
I don't remember now who was, but someone said something about the soundeffects being reused from the old shenmue 1 and 2 library.
I asked Yu san about that in an interview made by the Shenmue500k group, and he said thta, the soud effects are being made and recorded new altogether! Good news I suppose!

If we won't get the old school crystal clear *bleep* confirmation sounds in the main menu and save menu, I'll be devastated. New sound effects all well and good but I need that unmistakable Shenmue click sound in the menus and the inventory and also the "Shenmue-ey" main menu background music. And the "correct QTE input" confirmation sound. For Guilin, different sounds were ok, but I need the old thing back for the rest of the saga.

I'll say it again: I'm ok with newly recorded sound effects, but for some parts of the game consistency is very important. Same thing as with the logo. I've come to terms with the new one but I really do hope that sound effect-wise, S3 will be more faithful to its legacy.

I know it's crazy getting all concerned about a *bleep* sound in some menus, but that has always been one little detail that was so unmistakable and helped make the first two games so different from anything else I have ever played.

I really like the immersion of 1s music more, so yeah I agree I hope they go that route...

I really like the immersion of 1s music more, so yeah I agree I hope they go that route...
1's music is perfect as the world is designed to draw you in and is part of the immersion.

2's music is much more busy and actually quite reflective of Hong Kong as a whole. I can see Shenmue 3 being somewhere inbetween. Guilin will be more like 1 I feel and the other areas might be nearer 2 in terms of the music.

EXCELLENT post. I can't believe I've been playing the games since their original release and have never noticed that detail!

You're completely right. As you say in Shenmue 2, each area has theme music, which makes it feel much more "video game" like. I wonder if it was done intentionally, since Ryo is in a new and unknown place - the emphasis musically is on the location rather than his inner thoughts.

Really good observation. I think you've finally put into words why I always connected more with the first game.

EXCELLENT post. I can't believe I've been playing the games since their original release and have never noticed that detail!

You're completely right. As you say in Shenmue 2, each area has theme music, which makes it feel much more "video game" like. I wonder if it was done intentionally, since Ryo is in a new and unknown place - the emphasis musically is on the location rather than his inner thoughts.

Really good observation. I think you've finally put into words why I always connected more with the first game.
Thank you very much :)

Back