Impressions on the plot and the ending (only read if you finished the game)

24 hours after finishing the game, I'm still unhappy about how things were. The Bailu section was done brilliantly, there were some new information given to us and the whole drunken master setting fit the story well (I felt like I was training with Jianmin again).
But the second part... I mean, yeah, Chobu was nicely created, I remember staring out of the hotel window for minutes... but the way the first part of the training was re-created in the second part was just silly.
I would not even count the ending sequence as part of the game, because it was so out of place compared to the two areas that it just shows how little time/money they had to work on it. It really feels like Mass Effect 3 where you think that you will be given a nice reward for all your efforts, but all you get is nothing.
I am hoping for Shenmue 4, I will definitely buy it, but I feel that this Kickstarter was a wasted opportunity to clear up some of the mysteries that we've been going through since Shenmue 1.

Just to sum up:
Bailu = very good
Chobu = not so bad (except for characters and quest chains)
Castle = wouldn't even consider it as part of this game (it was a filler that had to be done probably a month or two before release date)
The story = some interesting dialogues in Bailu, but no development in Chobu after that. The whole character perspective / rapport system was probably left out, therefore there was not even room to develop optional dialogues (like the ones we had in Shenmue 1 and 2).

Just finished it like 5 minutes ago. I'm pretty satisfied. I wish the story progressed a little further, but the gameplay and everything was amazing imo. Exactly what I expected out of a Shenmue game.

Castle = wouldn't even consider it as part of this game (it was a filler that had to be done probably a month or two before release date)

We can only guess, but seeing as most of the final confrontation in the Old Castle was in the Prophecy trailer from August 2018, it looks like Baisha had already been cut by then:

God knows what the game would have looked like without the Deep Silver funding that I assume allowed the delays.

What's curious is that in the 1st Teaser, Mr. Muscles appears both in a Bailu surrounding, and on the Great Wall:

Maybe those were just tests at that point? But between 2017 and 2018 it looks like the decision was made to have him be the boss of both Niaowu and the Old Castle.

The first Dev Room update had a falling rocks QTE which never made the final game. Was this supposed to be in Baisha?:

vlcsnap-error194-1024x581.png

There was another update where you briefly saw Ryo standing outside a tulou but I can't find that now. But it looks like development of Baisha was scrapped in favour of expanding Bailu and Niaowu.

Maybe you *were* originally supposed to find that scroll in the temple, and that wasn't a mistranslation originally in the English dub/subtitles? Or maybe you were supposed to actually go to that cliff temple in Shenmue III? Who knows.

Ryo is taught a move by the drunk master which he then uses on the thug in Bailu village. The move should have become a part of his moves set which he could train to master which he then could have used against the Red Snakes' boss but, what, he just forgot the move? Ironically the move he spent 5000 yuan for was pretty much identical. And yet, this move doesn't become a part of his moves set either?

Lan Di's henchmen being easy to defeat was downright ridiculous. They looked like interesting characters and should have been difficult to beat. It would have been better if Ryo had been warned about them before he went to the castle, like Bei shows pictures of them to Ryo, tells him their names, how deadly they are and that he will face them. Ryo should have fought each of them in combat. The QTEs for them were underwhelming and Ren's kick wasn't amusing to me as I just thought they shouldn't be too easy to defeat.

The broom girl and the big guy easily and comically beating up the bad guys was inappropriate and repetitive for what should have been a suspenseful finale. The finale should have been like the ascension of the Yellow Heads building.

Lan Di's voice was not menacing at all. I was very disappointed with this. His voice should have sounded like it did in Shenmue 1.

Ryo should have come to know about Niao Sun in Bailu village. When the thug was tied up and being interrogated, he should have said more, I feel like this was a missed opportunity. He should have mentioned Niao Sun, her alliance with Lan Di and that she and Lan Di are looking for the Phoenix mirror. Ryo could have taken a photo from the tied thug's back pocket which shows Niao Sun so he now knows what she looks like.

If Niao Sun in disguise had 'befriended' Ryo and 'helped' him along the way, the plot twist when Ryo realises that she's Niao Sun would have payed off. Incidentelly, Ryo recognised her way too easily, they look nothing alike.

Some of the characters were underdeveloped such as grandmaster Feng and the drunk master. I would have liked to know more about their past and their connection with Iwao.

I feel like Ryo and Mr Yuan's dialogue at the end should have been longer with Mr Yuan dropping some major bombshells on Ryo. Again, I feel like this was another missed opportunity.

And when did Ryo and Shenhua find a scroll in the cliff temple? Surely the line was lost translation? The scroll they found was in the bell tower in Bailu Village which showed a cliff temple if I'm not mistaken so I think that was what Ryo was alluding to.

It's pretty clear Yu Suzuki needed more time and money. But I think many of us will now realise that more credit deserves to go to the exceptionally talented team who worked on Shenmue 1 and 2 and not to give credit solely to Suzuki.

Last edited:
The girl Niao Sun... Did the mysterious girl have As big boobs as her?!

Haha I kept thinking about this as well. I suspected she may be Niao Sun when you first see her on the boat, but then I looked at her chest and thought, "Nahhhh..."

There's part of me that wants to replay the game to see the stuff I missed (some of the sidequests and especially the Rapport System in Bailu), but the ending soured me so much I currently can't bring myself to play the game again.

Even while playing in Bailu, nearly every cutscene had me wanting to throw my controller at my laptop screen. I know Ryo wasn't the smartest cookie in the old games but in this one, the number of times the same info needed to be repeated to him (description of the thugs in Bailu, the same info regarding Zhao Sunming and his dad's relationship, the same info about the mirrors) was incredibly frustrating. Ryo was seriously dense and/or amnesiac in this entry in the series.

Yeah, while I took the "long path" I was mostly doing it for the sake of not missing anything (and another speedup playthrough for the things I missed), I'd like start a new game with just the intention of relaxing, but in a week or so.
This have been a Shenmue overload.

I do wonder if some of you need to take your nostalgia goggles off and see how shenmue 1 and 3 both have a story of a similar quality in my opinion. Shenmue 1 has next to no character development unless you go and speak to the characters seperare from the story.

Shenmue 3 was always meant to be about looking inward and I thought bailu village was great very reminiscent of shenmue 1.

Last edited:
I do wonder if some of you need to take your nostalgia goggles off and see how shenmue 1 and 3 both have a story of a similar quality in my opinion. Shenmue 1 has next to no character development unless you go and speak to the characters seperare from the story.

Shenmue 3 was always meant to be about looking inward and I thought bailu village was great

Shenmue I does advance the main plot very slowly which is why I find it harder to replay than II, but there is still more plot and character development in that game than III. Characters like Fuku-san, Guizhang, Goro, and Tom were all memorable. Even minor characters like Mark had pathos with their own backstories. There seemed to be more payoff to Ryo and Nozomi's relationship by the end of the game than Ryo and Shenhua's in III, where they hardly interact with each other once they reach Niaowu.

I think Ryo and Shenhua were apart in Niaowu because you were originally supposed to do your own thing as Shenhua with the Character Perspective System, but with that cut from Shenmue III you don't really get any insight into her as a character at that stage in the game.

Not at all, there are tons of character Building in S1 even for side characters.
Look at Yamagishi-san we see him with his back hurt, we see him mourning Iwao and teaching Ryo a move, we know that he praticed with Iwao, then we see with his back better and tells us about the mirrors.
The same goes for Mai we "save her' from the bad girls, so we know she has an affinity for the bad shtick, Goro finds us a job thanks to her, and then marries her. There's a full on arc there, and even a full on psychological profile of her, she likes to step on boundaries, she's keep to do things without thinking them through, she likes bad guys, but saw that just being bad for the sake of it doesn't make much sense.
Hell, even for example the tornado kick scene that came out of nowhere, it has somewhat an emotional weight by Tom being the guy you saw both at the harbor and dobuita, to then step up to Ryo's level and show him a move, even if you thought it was tacked on for melodrama, the kick scene was pretty cool.
I didn't see much of that in S3. And there are a lot more examples in S1.

The budget was simply mismanaged. Niaowu didn’t need to be so big. I honestly would have been fine with it being the size of Dobuita. Two arcades in Niaowu? One in Bailu Village? How about just one in Niaowu and none in Bailu Village? The bingo games with the balls were unnecessary as were most of the shops. There didn’t need to be a stamina system. They should have done without the English dub. The dialogue was so poorly translated eg. When Ryo says to Ren, ‘How are we even friends?’ after Ren kicks one of Lan Di’s henchmen and when Ryo says to Mr Yuan, ‘That’s where we found the scroll’.

What was the point of Ryo moving up the Duan rankings? He didn’t receive anything. Yes, Ryo was able to level up and master moves but he could have done that sparring with the huge guy and the girl in Bailu Village. In Niaowu, he could spar with Bei. I’m sorry but the Martial Halls were pointless.

I liked the The Rose Garden but it could have been more significant to the story instead of just winning a moves scroll.

The plot was poor and undeveloped. A number of us have commented on missed opportunities; what could have transpired in certain cutscenes, how certain NPCs should have played greater roles in the story.

The reunion between Ryo and Ren was underwhelming; after everything they’ve been through together, I would have thought that they’d be happy to see each other.

Ren randomly asks the broom girl and big guy to come with him? When did they ever meet? How does Ren even know that Ryo knows them? It didn’t make any sense.

Ryo already knew most of the ‘revelations’ like Lan Di’s real name and the two mirrors are a key to a treasure. Why does Ryo react like it’s the first time he’s hearing it?

More of the budget should have gone on the Castle area. It could have been the best part of the game. Lan Di’s henchmen were weak and had no dialogue. There was no emotional dialogue between Lan Di and Ryo.

Niao Sun calls Lan Di a ‘fool’ but there’s no shock value as we’re not made aware that there’s an alliance between them so we don’t know Lan Di is being double-crossed.

I think Yu Suzuki forgot that the fans’ knowledge of Niao Sun is not actually from Shenmue 1 and 2.

I hope the DLC will answer some unanswered questions.

Shenmue 3 was always meant to be about looking inward and I thought bailu village was great very reminiscent of shenmue 1.

Lets not play this game, because the complaints here have zero to do with nostalgia and that's a straw-man to invalidate opposing opinions. This game could have been far more fleshed out, and is not on the same level as even Shenmue 1. So much is left unanswered and undeveloped, things just sorta happen and no one talks about any of it again.

Shenmue Chapter 1 has countless cutscenes of Ryo having conversations, arguments, and pro-longed discussions with Fukuhara, Ine, Iwao, Master Chen, Guizhang and Nozomi about the choices and actions he is taking day to day in the name of revenge while also discussing details about your fathers past choices and actions. The most important part is these characters acknowledge and discuss events outside the events of the games time frame and Ryo's perspective which are used to connect everyone both to each other and Yokosuka as a grounded place. A good example of this is that your father is heavily present in the story even though he is technically dead, and often acts like a bridge between you and the locals.

Fukuhara is interacting with you and basically family because he was training under your father for some time, Ine is a seemingly hired housekeeper who has been with the family for years, and Nozomi is a fellow high school student and love interest that is in the same year as you and is going through the normal steps of graduation which you have tossed off entirely in favor of seeking revenge.

Meanwhile the Chen family is handled very similarly to Ren and The Heavens where they were in Shenmue 2, they are connected to your father and his import of the mirrors into Japan but they also in direct competition with Terry and the Mad Angels black market deals including the Long Zha putting your interests in line with their own even if they are reluctant to put your in harms way.

The important detail is that all of the characters even if they had not met you before, had connections with you and your family which gives them reason to help and interact with you. The dialogue was not redundant or there just to pad things out once cinematics and key events started. The only exception being when you wander around probing for information. The dialogue explains connections between each character in the world as well as their own personal goals and relationship with you.

Just like Iwao was your connection or bridge to Yokosuka, Guisang in a direct sense acts like the same sort of connection between you and Joy which is elaborated on by the Shenmue Side Story Comics which is why she likely goes out of her way to help you at the start of Shenmue 2 with a free/cheap hotel and what not. Its kind of terrible story telling to present it that way but its besides the point the connection exists, Guisang could not accompany you due to his injury so Chu and Guisang help give you footing in Hong Kong by connecting you with Lishao Tao and Joy.

Shenmue 3 should have used Shenfau as a similar bridge between yourself and the rest of Bailu which it seemed to try to do. The only stand out example was really forced and strange, when your first begin talking to the villagers in Bailu they all just sort of brush you off day one because you are foreign and smell of the city etc then Shenhau follows you around the next and they warm up and accept you from then on basically. It pretty much happens over the span of just a couple days.

The majority of meaningful character development and interactions about things outside of the direct plot-line are with Shenhau mainly but whats really strange about them is they heavily emphasis Ryo's past that you have already played through instead of building up the background details of Shenhau and her connections to Bailu and its people which seems more important than just revisiting past events.

You mainly learn Shenhau can talk to animals and spent most of her youth with them, has no recollection of her mother much like Ryo, was close to Meimei (prize exchange girl), was home schooled, and thats about it honestly. Her character seemed very vanilla or like she was avoiding elaborating on her past and she seemed very removed from the village honestly, maybe its foreshadowing but it just comes across lazy honestly for the moment. The dialogue was all very shallow and only covered a few seemingly minor details about her character and with pushing the narrative forward.

Bailu has you literally learning a bit about Shenhau, and dealing with a useless thug that is not important to the story at all. He has no useful information that develops characters or the world. He tells you where to go next, and then that's it. He was basically an obstacle and nothing more.

The scrolls for some reason direct you to Niaowu when it seems to have no direct connection to the purpose of the mirrors at all, so that makes zero sense. The only thing that seemed relevant from the scroll scene was the thin mountain range that looked eerie with dead trees likely meaning its the snowy region from the early footage with Niaou Sun. Im going to assume that scroll is likely the one of importance mentioned during the ending, is the place your headed at the end of the game which would make sense.

Chai values that scroll, so its clearly new and important information to some capacity to the Chiyoumen, which is not reflected at all in the plot in Niaowu at all. Lan Di, Niao Sun, and Gorrilla Man did not seem to have any interest in that scroll at all even though Chai clearly knew about it and should have passed on that they had found something important.

Niaowu honestly was not that relevant plot wise, it was basically a stepping stone to setting up the finale as well as some fun distractions and fan service, which is really strange considering that seemingly unimportant scroll with the rock formation made such an emphasis of the location. The only thing that makes sense at all with that in mind is something was in Lui Jaio Shrine as there was in the Bailu Watchtower, which is why the Red Snakes raided its wheel repository it shared in common with the tower and left. However this is never discussed again or elaborated on but its safe to say it likely was more scrolls or something else key to finding or getting into the location of the cache of treasure.

Seems like really terrible writing honestly there, its weird they emphasized and repeated so much in Bailu and Niaowu about Iwao, Zhao, and Lan Di. But then they never elaborate with further details as to what was in the cache.

Last edited:
What's curious is that in the 1st Teaser, Mr. Muscles appears both in a Bailu surrounding, and on the Great Wall:

Maybe those were just tests at that point? But between 2017 and 2018 it looks like the decision was made to have him be the boss of both Niaowu and the Old Castle.

If you watch the extended trailer the scripting and some of fight choreography is exactly the same we got in final release but Mr. Muscles and what looks like a disciple of red snakes swapped out for thugs in Bailu.

I hate going into fanfic area but having him be in Bailu, defeat Ryo and take Yuan and leave to Niaowu would have made more narrative sense. Replace thug encounter with a proper fight with Chai, which would be last we see of him and you could get a much more cohesive story.

You only need to watch these scenes from Shenmue II to show how poor the final area of Shenmue III is:

Just finished the game after 52hours.
I loved every moment apart from THE LAST FUCKING HOUR OF THE GAME!!

What the hell was that!!!?
What an absolute rushed mess!!!.
Honestly, I'm sat here.. like.. from the moment we entered the castle it was just awful.

They build it all up with this epic scene of a band of fighters coming together (which I don't understand as they barely knew you and were obviously travelling to what most people would assume would be their deaths).
First thing on arrival.. fetching some fucking plates for a pawnbroker?.. Wow.. talk about a mood killer.
We then get some badly placed/timed humour by looking into the cells.
Another lacklustre Chai battle.
Enter boring new main enemy reveal.
Fight a few weak enemies, okay that's fine, I liked knocking them about like ragdolls.
Then another group of enemies to kill, that's fine.
A bunch of cut scenes featuring characters I barely interacted with (including drama killing humour).
Boss of Red Snakes... fine.. but another dull quick fight.
Then what the hell was with the next group of enemies who looked liked like they are part of a make a wish foundation to be in the game!!!?.
We get to see Lan Di, with 3 of the other Chi Yu Men I presume.. who.. well.. quick 2 button QTE, done.
Add another tension killing joke with Ren kicking one of them in the face.
At last... Lan Di... 18 years I've waited to take this guy down.. then he opens his mouth... wtf kind of voice is THAT!?.
Sure, I get to see him in action in a burning castle, great.. and then.. well.. just the rest of it.
What the actual fuck happened?.. the game was so perfect up to this final Castle Storm and then it just... Jesus fucking Christ!.

Am I the only one!?.

It’s too early to gauge fans’ perception of what improvements we, on the whole, feel could be made to Shenmue 3 but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say there would be a consensus that the game would have been far better had the finale not seemed rushed, comical, and anticlimactic. If, over time, such a consensus is established, I hope there will be a clarion call for the finale to be remade.

Reading through this thread, i think a lot of us feel very similarly.

I loved 90% of the game. The last hour really is disappointing though.

People keep saying they want to know more about sunming zhao....

Think back to shenmue 1:

Do you remember zhao sunming ?

That’s the name of the man you killed in meng cun

It can’t be you !?

I’ve always believed meng cun is where we will find out what happened between iwao and sunming zhao so didn’t expect this revealed in shenmue 3.

I always suspected the old photo of iwao was with sunming zhao and that it is confirmed in 3 is nice.

Back