Interview with Brianna Knickerbocker

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
Last month we collected question suggestions from you all for an upcoming interview with the voice actor for Shenhua in Shenmue III (in English), Brianna Knickerbocker. I'm pleased to say the interview is now complete and I've just posted it up.

Brianna talks about how she created the voice of Shenhua, reveals some special guidance from Yu Suzuki himself on how he wants Shenhua to sound in English (vs the Japanese voice acting), and ends with a message for all Shenmue fans.

Interview:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/05/brianna-knickerbocker-interview-on.html

Last edited:
Excellent interview. On top of sounding really good as Shenhua, she also seems really passionate about her work and just really nice in general.

Nice interview!

I have qualms about Yu insinuating that emotional characters are soft and aren't/can't be strong. I just hope Shenhua doesn't sound too stiff or robotic.

Nice interview!

I have qualms about Yu insinuating that emotional characters are soft and aren't/can't be strong. I just hope Shenhua doesn't sound too stiff or robotic.
I don't think he was insinuating that, realistically something is lost in translation (not literally... well, maybe literally). Ryo is pretty damn emotional in many scenes if you can look past his robotic mannerisms. Xiuying is another one, although her emotions are much more controlled than Ryo's. I don't think either of them are meant to be perceived as weak, obviously.

She voices Crystar(A well received Jrpg) and Shenmue3...each having the same release date 8/27/19 along with similair lines.(2400)

Conflict of interest? :mad::devilish:

JK. I kid.

Control, Crystar, & Shenmue III all on the same day eh? 2 games on opposite ends of the spectrum with s3 sitting rite in the middle design-wise. Poetic coincidence? :unsure::whistle:

Q: Did you have any interaction with the game’s creator, Yu Suzuki? What were your impressions of meeting him?

BK:
I met Yu Suzuki during my very first session, where a few of the clients from Japan were present. He seemed very passionate about the game and the characters and equally passionate about the direction he wanted for Shenhua’s voice. He really emphasized he didn't want Shenhua to sound emotional or vulnerable. He really drilled in that he wanted Shenhua to sound strong. As I dialed in the voice and got her there, I remember Yu Suzuki being very happy with my Shenhua and that made me very happy. It really is such an honor to voice her.

Sounds like the voice acting will be on another level. Very happy vibes all around! ?

Nice interview!

Maybe he is just trying to adapt the script to the English language, so Shenhua sounds more natural in English . Just copying the japanese ways might sound a bit of in English?

Maybe he is just trying to adapt the script to the English language, so Shenhua sounds more natural in English . Just copying the japanese ways might sound a bit of in English?
That was my initial reaction. They're two different languages with different feels -- pitch, tone, cadence etc. Much like the translation of text, the aim should be to match the original intent in a new language, not produce a literal copy of the Japanese.

Last edited:
That was my initial reaction. They're two different languages with different feels -- pitch, tone, cadence etc. Much like the translation of text, the aim should be to match the original intent in a new language, not produce a literal copy of the Japanese.
Nicely put. I think this is what Yu is trying to achieve.

I never got the impression she was week in Shenmue 2.
Perhaps Yu also gave similar guidance to the previous English voice actor of Shenhua, all those years ago!

Back