Interview with Cedric Biscay by Gameblog (Magic '19)

We have the one-of-a-kind appeal advantage.

Fans should comb & extract as many marketable highlights from the game as possible to make into selling points.

This game spills into other genres, so we gotta reach as many as possible.

Adventure,RPG,Fighters,Point&Click,Simulations,Detective,Cinematic(QTE),Driving,Retro/Emulations,collect-a-thon,etc...

No other game encompass this many dam genres haha.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
It is to early to make a a estimation if a kicktarter for S4 would be viable or not. Maybe yes maybe no. If the fans like S3 and the mass market is not so found about S3 it is quite likely that they will fund S4 as well. I would do it for sure. But I still hope that s4 can get a bigger budget to make the game even better.

I will support S3 as much as I can. I already pre ordered another copy of the ps4 version although I get a copy via Slacker Backer.

I might even buy it on Steam again, if there is a sale.

It is to early to make a a estimation if a kicktarter for S4 would be viable or not. Maybe yes maybe no. If the fans like S3 and the mass market is not so found about S3 it is quite likely that they will fund S4 as well. I would do it for sure. But I still hope that s4 can get a bigger budget to make the game even better.

I will support S3 as much as I can. I already pre ordered another copy of the ps4 version although I get a copy via Slacker Backer.

I'll try to do my part via spreading the appeal of this franchise across gaming community/forums & SNS. If sales are closing in and needs a good push across the finish line I'll break my piggy bank savings even tho money's tight and sport a few Xtra copies. I'll then can try to recoup it back via second-hand market.

Could they not just make S4, S5 etc using extended S3 engine? As long as they keep the existing staff I imagine the additional costs would be much lower compared to S3, and I guess most fans wouldn't mind if the graphics etc didn't quite match state of the art levels.

Could they not just make S4, S5 etc using extended S3 engine? As long as they keep the existing staff I imagine the additional costs would be much lower compared to S3, and I guess most fans wouldn't mind if the graphics etc didn't quite match state of the art levels.

Why would they do that?

I doubt it'd raise another ~$7 million, whatever the case. That was a lighting in a bottle moment. We just have to hope Shenmue 3 can sell to people who aren't die hard fans.

It is unlikely yes but not impossible. In case it is the game the fans wanted then there is still a chance. We have to take any chance to make S4 a reality. I have the feeling that sales could be decent but i doubt it will be total success that can fund s4 without any help. I wish things would be different but S3 will polarize the gaming community as it did back then in 2000. And back then Shenmue had the "advantage" to be new and fresh. This time it has not the new and fresh card.

But I might be wrong. And I won't be sad if i am totaly wrong with my assumptions .

Shenmue 3 would have to capture the same passion that the first two games captured. That’s your first risk. There’s no doubt some people will leave disappointed. (Not saying it WON'T be good, but just look at how even the passionate fans here react to news. You're never gonna please everyone!)

SECOND is it wouldn’t get the same exposure as Shenmue 3 did at E3.

Best chance to succeed is a great game that’s appealing to the fans and newcomers alike.

Last edited:
I believe Yu Suzuki-sama stated they focused on making Shenmue III appeal more to the casual gaming audience, and there are quite a few features which now indicate that. If Shenmue III starts off more with the flow of Shenmue II than Shenmue I, the mainstream drop off rate should be a whole lot less.

Is there a precise translation of this interview by any chance?

"Casual gaming audience" carries a lot of... negative connotations to it.

Yu may or may not have used that specific phrase, but I think by now we can safely say that means basically adding some modern conveniences and making the game more open for newcomers, but without sacrificing what Shenmue's essence actually is.

Didn't the early previews say that the game feels like a Shenmue. If so, then this would not fit to the casual Needs. It would mean no autosave, and no huds everywhere that tells you the way. you have to find out your own way. The only comfort Funktion that would in the world of Shenmue would be that NPC bringt you to certain Locations as the did in S2. But this is also unlikely. According to the latest Infos not all NPC trust Ryo. So they won't Show him everything.

Maybe Shenhua can used as a guide this time. This could be a good comfort function and would fit in the gaming lore perfectly.

Auto save and huds every where are not very shenmue like. In Shenmue you should explore and find out Things on your own. A thing that most modern games try to avoid at all costs. They tend to take the Hand of the Play and guide him true the game without lots of freedom. So this Elements should stay away from Shenmue. And Exploration without any hud and maps should be encouraged.

I recall a kickstarter dev diary stating something along lines of, "Yu crafting a game comfortable for introcuing to new players and reintroductions for fans." (?)

Makes sense, for a few years Yu presumed there could never be a I+II HD. Not concerned with appealing only to us dedicated players.

If we made a list of all the new options available in Shenmue III to accommodate everyone from novice to advanced players, it would clearly far exceed any in the saga. I suspect the Settings menu will also have a record amount of configurations to appeal to players from all walks. The soul of Shenmue will still exist, only deeper this time...

Auto save and huds every where are not very shenmue like. In Shenmue you should explore and find out Things on your own. A thing that most modern games try to avoid at all costs. They tend to take the Hand of the Play and guide him true the game without lots of freedom. So this Elements should stay away from Shenmue. And Exploration without any hud and maps should be encouraged.

What does any of that have to do with autosaving?

Back