Is 4 going to be an expansion for 3 ?

Since that's easier and cheaper compared to making a full sequel from the ground up.(Just imagine how much coding they must do to port the existing assets and codes to the latest version of Unreal Engine.)

Kinda similar to the way they made Shenmue 2 by using Shenmue 1's assets alongside adding some new ones.

Since that's easier and cheaper compared to making a full sequel from the ground up.(Just imagine how much coding they must do to port the existing assets and codes to the latest version of Unreal Engine.)

Kinda similar to the way they made Shenmue 2 by using Shenmue 1's assets alongside adding some new ones.
I'd say if we get a Shenmue 4 it's pretty much a given this is the way they would go. The core systems are there, mini-games are there, maybe add one or two but that would be it. Refine the fighting system and some animations and you would be away.

The pressure comes in that PS5 and Xbox Series X (stupid name) are around the corner and thus people will probably try and shit on the graphics of a Shenmue 4 done in this way. Not that I care as long as the game and story are good :)

I'd say if we get a Shenmue 4 it's pretty much a given this is the way they would go. The core systems are there, mini-games are there, maybe add one or two but that would be it. Refine the fighting system and some animations and you would be away.

The pressure comes in that PS5 and Xbox Series X (stupid name) are around the corner and thus people will probably try and shit on the graphics of a Shenmue 4 done in this way. Not that I care as long as the game and story are good :)
Maybe they can use the power of those consoles to eliminate draw distance problems that Shenmue 3 has.(NPCs fading out/fading in.)

Maybe they can use the power of those consoles to eliminate draw distance problems that Shenmue 3 has.(NPCs fading out/fading in.)
You would think so, I'm no expert on those sorts of things but I know on PC things were better so you would expect the new generation consoles would improve those issues. Don't forget there's a patch coming in mid-jan too.

Anyway back on topic the Shenmue 2 approach of improving the core systems and expanding is 100% the way to go. Also don't forget we know some of Baisha, for example, was developed so they may have some ready to go areas/assets for a Shenmue 4.

Do you mean as a DLC expansion, or using the same core system they’ve already developed on UE4 and assets etc?

because I think IV will absolutely use everything they can from what they used for III, and like spud says, they’ve most likely got stuff that’s intended for IV already.

i don’t think IV will be treated as a DLC expansion though. Don’t think you meant that but just crossed my mind.

The onset of a next generation of consoles is somewhat concerning. Shenmue 4 will probably have to be a PS5 game, right? Hopefully they can use the same engine and assets regardless.

How do we know some of Baisha was developed?

It was in a kickstarter update. I'm trying to find which one so if anyone can find it that would be great. There was a clip of Ryo running towards a building really early in the dev process that I'm sure was confirmed as Baisha.

Also it was in the workflow originally so they would have done something to it.

It was in a kickstarter update. I'm trying to find which one so if anyone can find it that would be great. There was a clip of Ryo running towards a building really early in the dev process that I'm sure was confirmed as Baisha.

Also it was in the workflow originally so they would have done something to it.

I remember now, I viewed that recently. Thanks for jogging the memory.

The onset of a next generation of consoles is somewhat concerning. Shenmue 4 will probably have to be a PS5 game, right? Hopefully they can use the same engine and assets regardless.

Next-gen isn't sounding like it's going to be a huge jump visually from an asset standpoint, at least to the naked eye. Even if it were, graphic disparity tolerance is now greater than it ever has been, and I expect that to continue next gen.

Next-gen isn't sounding like it's going to be a huge jump visually from an asset standpoint, at least to the naked eye. Even if it were, graphic disparity tolerance is now greater than it ever has been, and I expect that to continue next gen.
I think the biggest differences between next gen and this gen will be:
-Faster loading times.(I remember Sony shown PS5 loading Spider-Man in less than 1 second.)
-4K support for all games.

Last edited:
and add:

-no longer a CPU bottleneck

dont get me wrong, im a huge fan of getting a good 10-12 years out of a generation to truly squeeze out the tech, but by year 8, I want the CPU/GPU updated not just the memory like Pro/X

There was also a short development clip in a Kickstarter update with Ryo jumping down a rock wall or something like that. Don't remember what update, but there was definitely nothing close to that in game, so maybe was part of Baisha?

Not neccsarily. In times past, the previous generation of consoles has been supported(at least majorly) for at least a year, maybe 2 years after the next gen launched.

With the PS5 already confirmed to be BC with PS4 games, I don't see why it couldn't be on PS4/PS5 to be honest. That's a major install and fanbase to leave behind if they went PS5 only.

Not neccsarily. In times past, the previous generation of consoles has been supported(at least majorly) for at least a year, maybe 2 years after the next gen launched.

With the PS5 already confirmed to be BC with PS4 games, I don't see why it couldn't be on PS4/PS5 to be honest. That's a major install and fanbase to leave behind if they went PS5 only.
Yeah. I've also heard that PS5 is going to be really expensive at launch.
It makes me feel that it's going to sell less than PS4 in it's first years.(So for some years, PS4 Pro is going to be the most popular Sony console until PS5 becomes cheaper.)

More power is great. UE4 is still a current modern engine.

Yeah. I've also heard that PS5 is going to be really expensive at launch.
It makes me feel that it's going to sell less than PS4 in it's first years.(So for some years, PS4 Pro is going to be the most popular Sony console until PS5 becomes cheaper.)

Neither console is going above $499, but that's still a pretty penny for a console, especially if the economy falters in 2020 as some predict. In a dream situation, we could hope for the $399 bombshell, but it isn't going to happen here.

Xbox One X showed people will pony up for a premium console. That being said, both of these consoles are shaping up to be *ludicrously* powerful. Current insiders peg PS5 at 12.9-14.2 TFs of power, which is absolutely obscene for a console. 2080 levels in a console? Crazy.

I still think SIV should be PS4 and maybe have a PS5 patch, if not a PS5 version, depending on budget.

Unfortunately, the assets they have for Baishi may not be suitable for Shenmue 4, depending on what sort of areas Yu-san had planned for that game. Giving that the main story beats from Baishi may well have all been covered in the fortified castle ending to 3, the actually area may now have been cut if the story has moved beyond what was planned for it. Unless of course they did significant work on it and Yu-san decides to change his locations in order to make use of said assets.

In terms of the graphical power of the new systems, I couldn't care less if Shenmue 3 makes the most of it. Graphics, more so now than ever, are not the sign of a good game. This generation more than any other has proven that. The indi scene especially produces a lot of great games with 'sub-par' graphics, while the AAA market is swarmed with great looking heaps of crap. Shenmue straddles the lines between the two now and I would be more than happy for them to use the same engine and reuse assets if it means Yu-san can deliver all the content and systems that he wants.

Well, Baisha was the tulou village, right? Then it depends on what kind of travel Ryo & co. are doing... the Great Wall is located in the North of China.... The tulou way to the South of China. I'm afraid that the Fujian (Baisha) part was cut :( just like the part in Shanghai (the chapters that originally were planned between Kowloon and Guilin, focussed on Ryo and Ren).

Aren't they suppose to be traversing the other, southern Wall of China? From my memory of the quick ending sequence, the wall seemed fairly dilapidated and not as well kept up as the more well-known north Wall.

Aren't they suppose to be traversing the other, southern Wall of China? From my memory of the quick ending sequence, the wall seemed fairly dilapidated and not as well kept up as the more well-known north Wall.
Southern? But the Wall is only in the North:
xgreat-wall-of-china-map.jpg.pagespeed.ic.gTe6aChaXs.jpg

(here in red and yellow)

Its purpose was to protect the Empire from invasions from the North (Mongolia)

Back