Is it possible to import 3d models with textures in Shenmue?

I was wondering if it is possible to import custom-made 3d models with textures into Shenmue. I know there are mods to replace the textures.

I'm also surprised by the lack of proper overhaul mods, like the one you on GTA 3, VC and SA. Is it because of the way the game was made?

I was wondering if it is possible to import custom-made 3d models with textures into Shenmue. I know there are mods to replace the textures.

I'm also surprised by the lack of proper overhaul mods, like the one you on GTA 3, VC and SA. Is it because of the way the game was made?
Anything is possible, it just requires work.

This is something I made somewhat of an executive decision on though when helping to design some of the modding SDKs that have been produced or S1/S2. The reason for that is the underlying engine isn't really "worth" the time spent allowing for custom models to be imported, specifically because of how limited those custom models would be - they would be limited to a poly count / poly density which wouldn't really be all that interesting or nice to look at. There are other reasons, of course... but this is the biggest.

If this is something you really want to see, I could throw up a Proof of Concept for it with a fairly detailed model as the test and then we can move from there.

Back