Is Shenmue 3 worth £60+dlc & Would you back Shenmue 4?

Shen3 Worth AAA Price Tag? / Would you back Shen4?

• YES Shenmue 3 is worth the price

Votes: 66 81.5%
  • NO Shenmue 3 is Overpriced, get in on Sale/Later

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • YES I would back Shenmue 4

Votes: 62 76.5%
  • NO I would'nt back Shenmue 4

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
UE5 Game Dev
I had recently pre-ordered Shen3 for £32 which I thought was a fair price, on CDKeys but they oversold and I never got my game (but got a refund)
I really dont want to pay £45 (on epicgames) for the base game and not £57 for a bit of DLC.(which doesnt sound that exciting)

Since I've already waited this long I'm thinking why not wait another year for Steam (and hopefully cheaper by then... I also have a ton of other games Ive bought and not played to keep me occupied)

Is Shenmue 3 worth £60+dlc ($77)?
Do you regret spending that amount?

Based on basic reviews Shen3 seems to play as the originals do .. which is great for fans.. but possibly not for 'teens' today or for the AAA price tag.

And love it or hate it YuSu seems to want to push the Saga till at least Shenmue 5, so based on your experience and sales drama so far would you back Shenmue 4 to do it all over again ? (by not backing doesnt mean you wont buy the game just means you wont preorder)

I think it’s worth the price tag and have no regrets about the money I put in (way more than £60). I perhaps regret buying the digital deluxe version after seeing how cheap the stand alone season passes are, but as my backer copies still haven’t arrived, it was something of a necessity if I wanted to play on launch day.

As much as I’ve enjoyed the game so far and want a 4th, I don’t think I’d back another Kickstarter, at least not to the same extent I backed the first one. After the way the first one was handled, I don’t think they could Kickstart a 4th game. I think It will all come down to how well the 3rd game sells and whether the publisher wants to take a risk.

Videogames are one of the cheapest entertainment mediums out there.
But the pricing is totally relative when you know any game a year later will be at sale for 50% or less, or when you can buy some of the greatest in history for 5 bucks.
I'll just say that the game provides a lot of entertainment compared to most AAA games.
I'd back again if it's needed, though Shenmue 3 for me was more a "the one that got away" kind of deal, than the actual game.
I'm enjoying it more than any game in last years, take that as you want.

Personally it was worth every penny for me, but I'd probably tell a newcomer to wait a couple months to get it on sale.

I didn't back the original kickstarter because I was really pessimistic about the game until about a few months ago, but backing a hypothetical fourth game is something I'd be open to now that I'm playing Shenmue 3 and loving it.

Is a games standard edition worth £60 - no, which is the case for any game (I got one CE for £60 & another for £65). As for the DLC, on PSN it was £11.99 which is very generous compared to most Season Passes - I was expecting around the £25 mark... Even standard editions of the game I've seen for £38 so buying it for £60 would be silly.

Would I back a Shenmue IV... Tough call, I mean I would but would I spend as much as I have supporting Shenmue III - if it NEEDS it... Yes.

So far it's easily my game of the year, I'm not saying it's perfect sure there are some rough edges but in my playthrough I've spent so much time on side content which feels natural to do in the game more than most. I'm having a blast exploring what the game has to offer and actually more satisfied with the gameplay than expected so far.

I wouldn’t fund another on Kickstarter. Gave $160 four and a half years ago, and GameStop preorders from last week got better packaging and more content for less.
I know that seems petty, but the incompetence and indifference was so overwhelming, and in the end the most committed and generous fans got a raw deal.
Most the funding ended up coming from Sony, Epic and Deep Silver anyway.

I haven't been as immersed into a video game as much as Shenmue 3 in awhile. It is absolutely worth $60.

With that being said though, I don't know if I'm willing to spend as much on Shenmue 4 this time around. Both this and Bloodstained were a rollercoaster ride in development and I regret spending as much money as I did on Bloodstained looking back on it (Shenmue III has thankfully been a different story so far). But since this game has really done it for me so far, I went from thinking spending no money on it to maybe just half of what I funded this time. But we will see, hopefully it doesn't need another Kickstarter.

If you mean back as in participate in crowdfunding I would only do the cheapest option that would give me the full game instead of going way above as I did for III. Ys net know how to make a game but whoever was in charge did not now how to run a crowdfunded project.

Worth the price, already bought the Season Pass, but I think I would not crowdfund a 4th game. I mean, I want it to happen, for sure, but it is not 2015 and the franchise is live and walking again, so let's try some more traditional methods.

I'm only about 3 hours into the new game and would happily back Shenmue 4. I'm hoping crowd funding isn't needed for the 4th given Deep Silver's involvement now but if necessary, I'd back it.

I wouldn’t fund another on Kickstarter. Gave $160 four and a half years ago, and GameStop preorders from last week got better packaging and more content for less.
I know that seems petty, but the incompetence and indifference was so overwhelming, and in the end the most committed and generous fans got a raw deal.
Most the funding ended up coming from Sony, Epic and Deep Silver anyway.

Huh?

If you're in NA, that's an outright lie. If you're in Europe, then I have no clue.

The EB pre-order cost me $93.00 and all I got was the coin (but I coveted that coin :D).

Sooooo yeah, not true at all that you got more (unless you're outside of NA).

I think they’re screwed if they expect crowdfunding to get them past a million or two, but I’d chip in out of loyalty to the cause.

YES! It was worth every single cent it earned. The game is easily one of my favourite games I've played this year. And I haven't even finished it yet. But I can safely say it's in my Top 10 for the year and that's not just me speaking as a fan.

I'd be shocked if they even tried the crowdfunding route again after Shenmue III though. I don't think they'd have anywhere near the same goodwill considering all the drama and all the BS surrounding it. I can't see them going the KS route ever again and I'd be shocked if Yu even tried to do it.

I think Shenmue III is the last ditch effort we will get. If the game does well enough to warrant it then we may get Shenmue IV funded by a publisher. If it flops then I think it's probably dead for good and we will have to wait for Yu to release the story in some other form.

Shenmue III to me is put up or shut up time for most people on the outside who could fund it. So let's hope III does well enough financially to keep us going.

I hope it does well enough to get us to IV. I really do....but if this is the last we get of Shenmue then savour it all the way.

i see a lot of people selling their still sealed, kickstarter copies of s3 with the comments such as "i backed this game years ago but i dont own a ps4 anymore" etc. it does make me think.. are those old fans who really wanted the next game or just people who jumped on the hype train? (like their hearts were in the right place but they were not 100% interested).. would those people contribute to another kickstarter?.. i doubt it.

personally i think its in the hands of Ys now.

with Ys vow "to never give up on series" (unlike how he admitted from 2002-2006 he did give up), i think its a safe bet he will get shenmue 4 made.. after all, there must be money to be made from shenmue?

Huh?

If you're in NA, that's an outright lie. If you're in Europe, then I have no clue.

The EB pre-order cost me $93.00 and all I got was the coin (but I coveted that coin :D).

Sooooo yeah, not true at all that you got more (unless you're outside of NA).

umm.... no not a lie....
all us backers got a cheap cardboard sleeve, no DLC pass.
t shirt and capsule toy supposedly coming later

I think Shenmue 3 was a lot of people's first kickstarter (including me!). It seems I always read that feelings are hurt in one way or another when a game is supported by kickstarter (In S3's case, EGS exclusivity, backers not getting DLC or preorder bonuses, delayed physical rewards, kickstarter sleeve not showering you in endless compliments even though your money just supported one of the biggest miracles and comebacks in gaming history, etc). That plus the fact Shenmue 3 got real publisher support will probably make it a harder sell for many to pledge for Shenmue 4.

I'm personally fine with the results of the kickstarter. I might not pledge as much as I did with Shenmue 3 if 4 goes through kickstarter, but would hope at this point that there should be publisher interest from the get-go.

umm.... no not a lie....
all us backers got a cheap cardboard sleeve, no DLC pass.
t shirt and capsule toy supposedly coming later

I'm talking about EG/Gamestop, not the Kickstarter.

It was literally the game and the coin, nothing else.

Back