Is SIII appealing to the eye?

Nemesis

Nozomi Amore
First of all, this is more a design choices post rather than one about graphics.

---

I started considering that the "graphical problem" is not the reason casuals say the game doesn't appeal to the eye (the game looks at least from the ps3 era which is good for me)... I have to say tho that even I feel what they mean by that.

Instead, I am now thinking that maybe what we feel are not the graphics but the juxtaposition of 2017 textures, 2015 illumination and 2011 models. Do you think that could be the problem?

Also, by comparing SII's Guilin and S3's, are you satisfied with the design choices?

For me, in the character design aspect I miss the Langhuishan charm (the kids or the old man sleeping for example). I feel the characters in the trailers could easily be from Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Look at 6:23 of this video and tell me it doesn't have that Langhuishan charm!

Yeah, that's one of the few characters I was thinking that are in place.

Not implying that everyone has to look like a chinese redneck thou

Folks, the game will be great. It will be better than we all think it will, Yu will know what's good and what's bad. I have faith. I do get your point my friend, but ultimately this will be something that he isn't going to just let go from his hands without the gloss and tape. This has been evident in the now two delays.

Last edited:
I would say, it's inconsistently appealing. Backgrounds are breathtaking, some character models are fantastic, some other looks bizarre or straight up ugly.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it’s beautiful because it’s Shenmue, but objectively, one can certainly see how others might think otherwise (especially if you subscribe to the idea that beauty is comparative).

Instead, I am now thinking that maybe what we feel are not the graphics but the juxtaposition of 2017 textures, 2015 illumination and 2011 models. Do you think that could be the problem?

Yes exactly. It's the lack of consistency and real direction that makes it look wonky.
While having disparities in terms of deisgn (especially characters), S1&2 felt very natural and like a real world as such. Maybe the Dreamcast engine smoothed it all.
In S3, there seem to be too many conflicing elements : lighting, textures, details, environment, character design, art direction etc. And I think 2019 technology emphasizes these differences too much and make the whole product look awkward in the end.

Also, I see a lot of people trying to justify this design problem saying that Shenmue never aimed at realism. That's not true.
Realism, mundane and attention to details are in the DNA of Shenmue's graphics and design.

Visually, it's a mixed bag.

Environnements are good and detailled.
Lighting, shader work and PBR implementation is good.

Some models are great, others are decents, some are bad but it's fine.

As for animations... Well that's where it hurt the most. Some are decent, the problem is that some look janky... Nearly buggy.

The enviroments? Absolutely.
Ryo, Shenhua, Ren, Lan Di, Master (from recent trailer)? Definitely.

There are some really good looking NPCS but also there are quite a few that still look kinda funny to me but i dont think that they are offensively bad.

I really dislike that one guy in the newest trailer though. What the hell is wrong with his face? He looks he has rocks growing under his skin.

I’m going to give Ys Net the benefit of the doubt and presume they’re still abiding by their outer to inner design philosophy...

Outer

Environments have looked excellent from the early days of development...seriously, has anyone ever complained about the scenery? It’s perfect...

Inner

Animations and expressions have improved a bit and hopefully any remaining “stiff” and “dead-eyed” issues are eventually refined...

And the recent NPC character models have for the most part looked amazing...

And the WIP main characters are progressing in quality and should be even higher quality than some of those amazing refined NPC’s we’ve seen come release...

Patience is progress...

Last edited:
The question is hard to answer to be honest. I personaly like it, but I do not state of the art graphic to enjoy a game. From the asthetic Point of view I will always prefer the look of Saturn/Dreamcast area over the more modern look that just wants realism at all cost. These new games does not look like a Video game to me.

From the asthetic Point of view I am glad with Shenmue 3. It just looks like a more modern take on the classic old School Shenmue. perfect.

But that is just me. A connoisseur of high end graphics might have different opinion on that subject.

So in the end it is highly subjective, which art style you prefer.

I might be in the minority, but I actually appreciate the fact that they went out of their way to make Shenmue III look and feel as janky as the first 2 games. It gives me a sense of familiarity and comfort knowing that I'll basically be picking up right where I left off from II. Plus it sets the stage for Shenmue IV to have "next generation" tech whenever it's released.

I especially love the "bamboo forest" in the screenshots above.
For me the game in motion from the ign videos looks also great and very charming. Not hyperrealistic great, but great nonetheless. After polishing (some npcs) it will certainly be good enough!

Slightly OT, I enjoyed for example Syberia 3, but Shenmue 3 is miles above it in terms of graphics.

I might be in the minority, but I actually appreciate the fact that they went out of their way to make Shenmue III look and feel as janky as the first 2 games. It gives me a sense of familiarity and comfort knowing that I'll basically be picking up right where I left off from II. Plus it sets the stage for Shenmue IV to have "next generation" tech whenever it's released.

Sorry but I dont understand where Shenmue I or II were janky ?
Sure, they had tank controls but that's because Dreamcast only had one stick.

As for the rest, the game had really high production values.

The jankiness in Shenmue III has nothing of the jankiness of Shenmue I-II, that is if those games were janky. Maybe the english dub... And that was the norm back then.

da3168089f.gif

Not janky apparently...

In fact in 2001, that was some of the best visuals and animations you could get on a NPC.
Lol wut? You surely cannot be serious haha. Some dead-eyed old guy erratically swinging his neck around was not the best 2001 had to offer.

Lol wut? You surely cannot be serious haha. Some dead-eyed old guy erratically swinging his neck around was not the best 2001 had to offer.

I'm dead serious.
The guy erratically swinging his neck around isnt jankiness. It's a decision to make him mystically weird.

And visually, yes, I maintain.

Morrowind released a year later and that NPC looks better than any Morrowind NPCs. Heck, he looks better than Max Payne's model. He looks better than any GTA 3 character.

Not only very little, if any game came close in term of NPC... But the same can be said about main characters.

You'll have to search for fighting games to have better visuals.

Back