Is the framerate supposed to be so bad?

Is the framerate supposed to be so bad?

It had lots of moments in Bailu but in Niaowu the slowdown is even worse. It reminds me of Shenmue 2 on the dreamcast.

For example it always tanks when I weave between those tables on the way to Blossom Walk.

I'm running an RTX 2080 in my rig. Playing at highest settings and at 4K.

that's weird the game run fine for me at 1980p and highest setting on my gtx 1060

I haven't played the PC version, but the PS4 version also has framerate issues. Also S3 almost caused my PS4 to overheat. Not just at certain points in the game but also during loading times. The cooler/fan was constantly working heavily and sometimes it sounded like a space ship landing inside the apartment. :) When you touched the console then it was like an extra radiator in the room, it went really hot.

I can't think of any other games which worked the ps4 so hard. The same thing happened to a friend of mine who played S3 on PS4 so it's not just an issue with my machine.

You should be getting a solid 60fps+. The game sometimes stutters when going between different areas -- these can't really be avoided no matter the rig -- but they're not overly frequent either. It Should be smooth the majority of the time.

As others have mentioned, the game actually performs extremely great overall. There are a few places where you are moving from one zone to the next (in Bailu between the Store & towards village square for example) where the game hitches and there is a big frame spike, but that's about it.
I believe that Lemon's mod has the option to load all zones in advance in an effort to avoid this stutter, however, I haven't tried it myself as a hitch once every 40 minutes didn't bother me (especially as it runs at >140-160 fps for the majority of the time @1080p). I do not remember having any issues in Niaowu around the tables either.

That's worrying then. I already installed the mod but frame dips are so constant. It's close to unplayable when roaming around.

It is connected to my 4K TV as opposed to my 1440p monitor but if I should be getting over 60fps most of the time then that's definitely not the case. I'll test more when I get home tonight.

I haven't played the PC version, but the PS4 version also has framerate issues. Also S3 almost caused my PS4 to overheat. Not just at certain points in the game but also during loading times. The cooler/fan was constantly working heavily and sometimes it sounded like a space ship landing inside the apartment. :) When you touched the console then it was like an extra radiator in the room, it went really hot.

I can't think of any other games which worked the ps4 so hard. The same thing happened to a friend of mine who played S3 on PS4 so it's not just an issue with my machine.

Interesting; Do you make a point of opening to clean? Sounds like classic case of internal dust clogging? Weird considering the game looks beuatiful, but it is not necessarily cutting edge like the first two back in the day. If not dust, perhaps becasue it is a launch or at least early revision pre-Slim design?

Yeah I have a gtx 1060 and it's pretty much 60fps overall on max settings. Unless you're using a laptop you should be fine, Laptops thermal throttle lol

I don't think the game's framerate is inherently bad. I get a solid 60fps @ 1080p max settings on my 980 Ti.

4K 60FPS might be a bit of a tough ask on a 2080. Even the Ti version of the card only just hits it in a lot of titles:

Tested at 1440p and performance drastically improved. I'm surprised that my rig can't handle Shenmue 3 at 4K60 as it doesn't look so demanding visually but live and learn.

Interesting; Do you make a point of opening to clean? Sounds like classic case of internal dust clogging? Weird considering the game looks beuatiful, but it is not necessarily cutting edge like the first two back in the day. If not dust, perhaps becasue it is a launch or at least early revision pre-Slim design?
Great point, maybe a cleaning would be in order then. I have a 2016 PAL model PS4, not slim, so maybe it is one of the revision models?

Weird thing is, a lot of more demanding games like Death Stranding or uncharted 4 run just fine.

I'll definitely look into the cleaning thing though, thanks.

Even without dust, I recall a digital foundry video showing there was a post-launch pre-slim revision with higher thermal output. Unsure if it is anything at all to cause certain games or engines to drop frames? Easy way to tell--aside from model number; launch systems have the 1/3 or 1/2 of the front-left side glossy, whereas the pre-slim revision were all matte, except a glossy stripe down middle.

It's odd.
I have a bog standard PS4 and had no issues at all with it sounding like a jet engine powering up when I played Shenmue 3.
On the other hand my Xbox One takes off and flys around the room when I switch between maps on Fortnite save the world :LOL:

It's odd.
I have a bog standard PS4 and had no issues at all with it sounding like a jet engine powering up when I played Shenmue 3.
On the other hand my Xbox One takes off and flys around the room when I switch between maps on Fortnite save the world :LOL:
Lol I think the jet engine thing is more of a PS4 Pro thing. Almost everyone with that system talks about how loud it gets.

Back