Is there a method to consistently parry in Shenmue 2?

As the title says. Sometimes I get parries but other times, Ryo rolls. This is part of the reason why I prefer the original game for combat. I always thought that Shenmue's combat system with Shenmue 2's battles would have been an absolute dream.

Is there any secret method to make parrying more consistent or naw?

Timing. If timed at the moment a punch or kick is thrown, Ryo will parry when you hit the block button. If you press too early, Ryo will dodge or roll instead.

It’s possible to parry fairly consistently although when up against large groups, Ryo will respond only to the person that he is focused on making it very difficult to do anything other than dodge.

Yeah they narrowed down the opening of the timing window way too much in Shenmue II.
For a long time I assumed all the counters were completely absent from it, because they are so tough to pull off, wich is a shame as I really like to use them in Shenmue.

I found it difficult even in Ch.1, so the quicker pace lending itself to better dodging worked perfect in Shen2

Yeah they narrowed down the opening of the timing window way too much in Shenmue II.
For a long time I assumed all the counters were completely absent from it, because they are so tough to pull off, wich is a shame as I really like to use them in Shenmue.
I don't know if you know the frame data for it but if you do, I'd definitely watch a video on an explanation/breakdown of getting the timing down for parries in Shenmue 2.

Shenmue III combat looks very mediocre through, seems another downgrade and doesn't seem "Shenmue" like as well there seems to be no parry at all or evading just putting defense up...
It's a shame because of it what I loved the most about Shenmue combat system.

I used to think there is no option to parry in Shenmue 2. I don't get how it works but I've never had any problem with it.

Back