Japanese Version Possible!

758330_screenshots_20180823131836_1.jpg
20180825112148_1.jpg

The Japanese notebook looks so cool. I love the font!

I just found out that the PC version has a Japanese GUI and Japanese text after all :love:
A lot of people on Steam didn't want to get the game as there was no Japanese, and also because it isn't going to be officially released in Japan.

<Please note, by making changes to the language settings, it might effect your saved games. Please use this at your own discretion>

All you have to do is go to the following directory:
'\Steam\userdata\"User ID"\758330\remote\sm1saves',

Then open the Settings file with MSNotepad, or your favourite text editor, and change the line:
"SubtitleLanguage": -1" to "SubtitleLanguage": 1".

On a side note, I found that there is an MS Excel document in the SM2 folder under Common/SMLaunch/localistion. I really don't know why an Excel file is in this dir, but it seems to have the whole Japanese text in here for Shenmue 2. If somebody wanted to work on a new translation that isn't supported, maybe this would be a good way of doing it.
Excel.png

Last edited:
Very happy for you kirino. I remember your threads on the old forum trying to purchase the steam version in Japan. Utterly stupid to not have shenmue on pc in japan when yakuza 0 did. Very glad about this "oversight"

20180825131241_1.jpg
20180825131252_1.jpg
As you can see the font colour changes as well. I gave Nozomi a phone call. Her text has a red boarder and Ryo's has a blue one similar to the English version.

20180825131011_1.jpg
20180825131033_1.jpg
The moves are also in Japanese :)

I found something different from the dreamcast version.
Botepad.png
20180825112148_1.jpg

Wow, well spotted.

趙孫明 is Sunming Zhao (Lan Di's father). In the new version they have just written 孫明Sunming and no Zhao. However below that in Katakana what have written the full name Sunming Zhao in brackets.

I wonder if this will get changed in the Japanese release, or if they have made lots of little changes.

I think that the Japanese version will have some additional changes though. For example the cans of coke will have Japanese writing on them, like the achievements icon.

Can.pngCan.pngCan.pngCan.pngCan.pngCan.pngCan.pngCan.pngCan.png

Last edited:
Back