Joyful anticipation has turned into Fear...

He's also a bit of a weird guy to have on a Shenmue forum, so I'd say leave it as is. :D

Back on topic. No, I'm not at all worried about it. I think OP is panicking /exaggerating. I perfectly understand where that comes from. Most of the people on here have waited half their life for this game.

From what I've heard and read, reception of the demo has been overwhelmingly positive both from fans and non-fans alike. Yes, there were some negative reactions to the demo but those have been few and far in between.

I like the new Shenhua model but I too prefer the old one. I don't like the S3 Ryo model tbh. His complexion, the shape of his eyebrows, his jacket, et cetera, et cetera. Maybe it'll grow on me but I think from what I've seen, Ryo seems to be one of the less well-crafted character models in the game. There are a couple of returning characters like Chai and especially Lan Di who look a lot more like their original models than Ryo does and there seem to be a bunch of NPCs which look "better" than Ryo.

But with all that said, none of the above bothers me in the slightest. I've waited and suffered too long for this game to still care.

Also, I'm confident Yu and his team will be able to deliver a pitch perfect Ryo model in S4.

Hi mittens, would you mind changing your 'Tag' below your name please the class A .... Its a bit of a weird thing to have on a shenmue forum

Hi Taarabt. Would you mind changing your handle? It’s a bunch of jibberish and a weird thing to have on a Shenmue forum.

Hi TwiceFriedRice. Would you mind changing your avatar? It's a bit stupid and has Jim Carrey, we don't want this on a Shenmue forum
Drop the thread derailment

And I wanted to ask if he wouldn't mind sucking my balls.

I kind of feel the same way about the Shenhua model and I've been trying to convince my mind that nothing is wrong.

Much of this feeling has to do with the various versions the character has gone through, and all were hideous except this final version. I think she's very pretty now and, thinking about it, is perhaps the most human-looking character among the main ones.

The clothes have changed, but we think that's weird just because we played two whole games where no character changes clothes. S3 takes place the day after, and we're at her house so it's quite natural for her to change her clothes.

And if we look back at old artworks, we already saw her in different clothing, which are much weirder than the new one, and have no explanation yet:

Shenhua.jpg

And given that it's a game made almost two decades after the previous one, it would be natural for the differences to be MUCH bigger than they are. They just aren't because Yu decided not to go the realistic way.

Looking at the world of video games, it is very rare for a sequel to keep the characters looking like they are the same person.

We don't even have to go very far (and mention characters like Lara Croft), just look at Nathan Drake, whose games came out almost all in the same generation, made by one of the best studios in the industry:

18374b7c_nSXJjCy.jpeg

It's 4 different men!

So really, we just need to calm down and wait to enjoy the game as a whole.

Once we get in the game, all this nitpicking will be instantly forgotten!

I’m disappointed Shenhua doesn’t look like the older models but I imagine I’ll get used to her. I definitely won’t let it ruin the experience for me.

It’s different with Nathan Drake because they’re pursing realism with each iteration. Shenmue is more stylized with its character models.

Can someone post a picture showing why Shenhua's new look is so controversial? I'm struggling to see what the big deal is from what I've seen so far. Especially as all the character models look different.

Textures and resolution aside, the original Shenmue had much better models all round. Ryo looks very stoned face and slim in this game and Lan Di looks no where near as menacing as he did before.

I'm just saying that all of the characters look different and not as good as before so why is there seemingly such a big deal around Shenhua?

If we can distinguish Shenhua's model from the argument (I do admit that needn't be too worrisome), I do also wonder in the more general sense if I will enjoy this as much as I did the prior games given, age, real world time to explore, changing aesthetics/interests, and the like.

I have desire whatsoever of bashing this game at all and anticipate maximal appreciation, but, if earnest criticism is there for any of us, one hopes the Dojo is going to be kind about that. I tire of the "I feel this way, so your reasoning about something which may elicit mixed emotions is anti-Yu." I don't care if you've always had the "dream" of Shenmue alive; one may remain sober through it all.

(Let's all take shots for the mods' sake this month.)

From the very bottom of my soul i cannot give a slightest shit about her redesign. Its a character we barely have met before this and its not like her new design makes her ugly or anything.

Can someone post a picture showing why Shenhua's new look is so controversial? I'm struggling to see what the big deal is from what I've seen so far. Especially as all the character models look different.

Textures and resolution aside, the original Shenmue had much better models all round. Ryo looks very stoned face and slim in this game and Lan Di looks no where near as menacing as he did before.

I'm just saying that all of the characters look different and not as good as before so why is there seemingly such a big deal around Shenhua?

It's because Shenhua looked like an innocent and mysterious 16 year old in S1 and 2 and her dress reflected this romantic child-like purity.

In S3 she looks like a pretty 20-something young woman who takes time everyday to do her make-up and who would be nice and say hi to Ryo but never actually date him.

One poster said he couldn't imagine S3 Shenhua diving into a river to save a faun and I agree... if S3 Shenhua fell into a river she would cry that she ruined her nice clothes and stylish earrings.

I'm hoping I do take to this brand new Shenhua... but I can't understand the change? Back in 2003 it never would have occurred to me that, if we got Shenmue 3 by some miracle they would throw out the original Shenhua character and re-conceive her in such a drastically different way.

I'm a fair way into Shenmue 3 and there's still a lot of content from the trailers I've not come across yet.

Make no mistake this is a massive game in terms of length, it'll take me weeks to months to complete without taking time off work or sacking off the girlfriend at weekends.

It's also adjusted really well to the evolution of gaming. It's high quality despite the low budget.

I'm not sure casual gamers will like this but then again they never liked the original. Especially as it's a really slow start.

It's different, and to some they might prefer the old feel in terms of battles and QTEs but I don't think they'll dislike the game on that basis. I'd be surprised if many were disappointed based on the game so far.

18374b7c_nSXJjCy.jpeg

It's 4 different men!

So really, we just need to calm down and wait to enjoy the game as a whole.

Once we get in the game, all this nitpicking will be instantly forgotten!

I don't have a decent comparison to hand at the moment, but another character model that changed quite a bit (especially in the early days) is Kiryu from Yakuza. The transition from PS2 to PS3 between Yakuza 2 to 3 was quite jarring at the time, as it took a couple of sequels to get his face right. And then his apperance in 5 looked older/tired (which worked great for the game and plot), then he looked a good 10 years younger when 6 rolled around.

Point is, character models change between generations, and it doesn't surprise me that Yu decided to change the appearance/clothing slightly on some characters between now and 18 years ago. Personally, the changes don't bother me at all, Shenmue 3 as it is now looks really nice.

Back