Kickstarter Update #99 - Reboot Develop 2019!

Space Lion

Cigarettes to warm the throat, alcohol to cool it
Banned
Favourite title
Shenmue II

Hello Everyone,

Yu Suzuki recently attended the Reboot Develop 2019 game developers conference held in Dubrovnik, Croatia.

In this update, we'll show you some of the images featured at the conference.

You can watch Twich live stream here! (around 47m30s)

d5a872ab51d67ba7151e2cdc987cba85_original.jpg

Walking along the stall-filled harbor in "Chobu".

cf424bf825ad84718cc719ddfbff091e_original.jpg

Here you can see the Prize Exchange Area and the Pawn Shop.

b40cabb528f69b12bed08363cf1c0e1d_original.jpg

This is a Pawn Shop owner.

Here you can sell or trade items in your inventory.

9237cc0f41da371c5a6429cf17378294_original.jpg

Tokens and items can be exchanged at the Prize Exchange Area!

51ef81c87e0aaacf1e0d1429a97237cd_original.jpg

This is an explanation of how the game cycle works.

Tokens you've won at games are exchanged for prizes.

You can earn cash by selling prizes at the Pawn Shop.

7af391c7ddd2ee7bb58f5a6e77f3cf19_original.jpg

The video arcade. Check out the retro games!

Ryo gets a Forklift job again!

Weekly Famitsu is showcasing the forklift for the very first time! So...who is in for a ride?

b612c1d0fc85846045c079c5fac4c841_original.jpg

This update was mostly just pictures, but we hope you enjoyed it nonetheless!

We appreciate your continued support!

So many stores with open entrance. That means no ambiance transition a la Shenmue 1&2 most of the time. Hopefully they find something to compensate and keep distance from usual feel in modern open worlds.

So many stores with open entrance. That means no ambiance transition a la Shenmue 1&2 most of the time. Hopefully they find something to compensate and keep distance from usual feel in modern open worlds.

That's an interesting point. It could still be possible to mix between the quarter/area theme and a shop theme by proximity. But to know for sure we'll just have to wait for some gameplay footage.

Taking a look at Hi Tech Land entrance screenshot, I noticed how picky on details Yu Suzuki is. If you focus your attention on capsule toys machines, you see different quantities of items within each of them. Not same texture, not same position, not same amount... I am like "holy shit, Yu is crazy! Maybe he even implemented a real-time daily refill by shop owners." ?

PS: pardon my broken english

Taking a look at Hi Tech Land entrance screenshot, I noticed how picky on details Yu Suzuki is. If you focus your attention on capsule toys machines, you see different quantities of items within each of them. Not same texture, not same position, not same amount... I am like "holy shit, Yu is crazy! Maybe he even implemented a real-time daily refill by shop owners." ?

PS: pardon my broken english

Good catch. Honestly wouldn't doubt an NPC routine of daily or weekly refilling.

My biggest gripe with the Dreamcast games was the toys inside would shift with each new buy, BUT wouldn't actually collapse downward with less individual items. Really held the overall game back for me. NOW I KNOW SHENMUE 3 WILL APPEASE ME AND PUT THE GAMES' STANDARD OVER THE TOP.

Kidding aside, you're English is better than most native speakers in America, and probably Canada or England.

I was curious about the game with the steering wheel seen in the arcade. I looked through Sega Arcade History, but its design doesn't match any of Sega's real world electromechanical racing games from the 60s and 70s. Unless it was omitted from the book, I think it must be an original game designed for S3.

Kidding aside, you're English is better than most native speakers in America, and probably Canada or England.

*your

I'm sorry, I don't normally do that, but it just seemed perfect considering you were talking about how good Tsubasa's English was. :p

baha good catch. Funny, normally the wrong usage of the word is opposite to how I did. I just love apostrophes.

Last edited:
Such a beautiful update, I am stunned by the pictures. I feel that the nostalgic continuity between S2 to S3 will executed very well. I am really liking the Ryo face now, a total 180 improvement from 3 years ago.

Good.

Really, though, I suspect it's better to tune out the edge lords at this point. All hail the seasoned gaming veteran, young enough to have grown up during a single console generation alone.

99 is a good recap; I'm torn on whether or not we'll get something at E3 (I suspect the numbering is just coincidental), but I presume 100 will be somewhat juicy.

I'm sure they are talking about the image that shows Ryo in front of two shops. You can see his hands seems a bit rare in that pic.
I don't know why they keep on using old material to promote the game, it harms the reputation of the game more than help it.

Surprise! An article on a video game website is filled with negative comments :rolleyes: It happens with every game to some degree but crowd-funded ones especially, because people can't wait to demonstrate how superior they are for not backing it, and how they were "right all along". Oh wise, prophetic troll. How genius you are.

Of course there's straight-up hyperbole like the comments about Ryo's hand (I mean, seriously?), but my favourite type of comment is the "I HOPE it's good for the fans BUT..." -- you're not fooling anyone, buddy. You don't hope it's good -- you want it to fail because it fits the little narrative you've constructive in your brain, confirming you are in fact a self-identified gaming genius.

Surprise! An article on a video game website is filled with negative comments :rolleyes: It happens with every game to some degree but crowd-funded ones especially, because people can't wait to demonstrate how superior they are for not backing it, and how they were "right all along". Oh wise, prophetic troll. How genius you are.

Of course there's straight-up hyperbole like the comments about Ryo's hand (I mean, seriously?), but my favourite type of comment is the "I HOPE it's good for the fans BUT..." -- you're not fooling anyone, buddy. You don't hope it's good -- you want it to fail because it fits the little narrative you've constructive in your brain, confirming you are in fact a self-identified gaming genius.
Amen. Comment sections are a flaming shit heap, and honestly are probably not indicative overall of the actual mood.

Back