Mad Angels issues in Xbox One version

Hello,

I'm playing through Shenmue on the Xbox One after having completed the game on the Dreamcast years back. I'm near the end of the game, hunting down the Mad Angels at the harbor, and I'm running into a very annoying issue.

For some reason, I can't move the plot forward. It's as if the same, eventless day keeps repeating itself over and over, a la "Groundhog Day." Let me explain in hopes that someone may be able to give me a hint.

I've seen the Mad Angels attack the homeless man, attack Mark, etc., but from then on, it's as if nothing happens to advance the plot. Walkthroughs state that Nozomi will show up to take a photo of Ryo--that hasn't happened. I wander the harbor after work trying to locate the MA's, but no luck. The homeless man has taught me the martial arts moves (I forget their names), but I'm at a loss now. I keep repeating the same day over and over, transporting crates to Warehouse 3. After Ryo's shifts, nobody is able to give me any clues to advance the plot... the homeless guy says I shouldn't deal with the MA's, Goro is of no help. Any clues as to what I'm missing?

What day number is it that you are on?

What should happen is on day 4 at the end of the day Mark will be attacked by a number of the MA and then in the cutscene after he mentions the Long Zha. After that go and find him in his usual place and he should mention Tony and Smith & all should be ok.

There are a few theories on how to progress in this thread -- it sounds like you're in a similar position:

https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...no-story-progression-possible-bug-glitch.438/

I originally thought this was a game-ending bug because I tried absolutely everything and nothing worked for me, but people seem to think it's always possible to progress.

If it isn't a bug it's at least a very poorly flagged section of the game because it happens to *a lot* of people.

Did you know that it's possible to repeat every day of work except the first indefinitely, by simply avoiding story triggers? To repeat Day 2, either enter Warehouse No. 3 from Warehouse No. 1, or don't head to Warehouse No. 17 afterwards. To repeat Day 3, don't go to the area outside Warehouse No. 18 after work. To repeat Day 4, don't talk to Mark. To repeat Day 5, either talk to Mark ONCE only (you need to talk to him twice to advance the story) or stop moving crates after 3:30pm.

You're stuck on Day 2. Chances are you're heading to Warehouse No. 3 via Warehouse No. 1 instead of the normal route, as a lot of people seem to do this (I don't know why - not only is it not the route shown on the map, it's longer too). Take a crate past Hisaka in the afternoon and you'll get a cutscene and a fight with the Mad Angels.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and advice. From what you've described, I've indeed fallen victim to poor scripting on the part of the programmers. After several more tries, I gave up. The forklift sequences have always frustrated me, particularly in the Xbox port. I have a physical disability which affects my coordination, among other things--in this case. just enough to make quickly passing this portion of the game difficult. I always hit things and can never complete the morning race quickly either, which in turn cuts down on the time I have available to move crates.

The funny thing is, I don't remember the forklift sequences being particularly difficult in the Dreamcast version. I do remember being tripped up by the security guard sequence a little earlier and the motorcycle chase a bit later, but not the forklift stuff. Were these trigger quirks present in the original game as well?

I may ask my partner to help me with the crates, but at this point, since I've beaten the game in its original incarnation, I've moved on to Shenmue II which I haven't completed.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and advice. From what you've described, I've indeed fallen victim to poor scripting on the part of the programmers. After several more tries, I gave up. The forklift sequences have always frustrated me, particularly in the Xbox port. I have a physical disability which affects my coordination, among other things--in this case. just enough to make quickly passing this portion of the game difficult. I always hit things and can never complete the morning race quickly either, which in turn cuts down on the time I have available to move crates.

The funny thing is, I don't remember the forklift sequences being particularly difficult in the Dreamcast version. I do remember being tripped up by the security guard sequence a little earlier and the motorcycle chase a bit later, but not the forklift stuff. Were these trigger quirks present in the original game as well?

They were present in the original game, and they're really not difficult to pass at all. I'm not saying this from a "git gud" perspective, I'm saying it takes close to zero skill. You don't need to take very many crates; I believe four is enough to trigger the cutscene.

You just need to stop going the long way. Long way = wrong way. I drew a map for you.

Day2.png

If you have any trouble, be sure to let me know.

Thanks, everyone. I've successfully gotten to Day 5 of crate moving. Any tips on triggering whatever needs to be triggered to advance the story from there? Day 5 keeps repeating for me.

Thanks, everyone. I've successfully gotten to Day 5 of crate moving. Any tips on triggering whatever needs to be triggered to advance the story from there? Day 5 keeps repeating for me.
At the end of day 4 go over to warehouse 17 and Mark will be getting beaten up by the mad angels. They mention the long zha in the cut scene. Did you get This part?

Immediately after go and talk to Mark who mentions Tony and Smith by name and then the scene will take place the next day. Usually around 2/3pm.

Did you know that it's possible to repeat every day of work except the first indefinitely, by simply avoiding story triggers? To repeat Day 2, either enter Warehouse No. 3 from Warehouse No. 1, or don't head to Warehouse No. 17 afterwards. To repeat Day 3, don't go to the area outside Warehouse No. 18 after work. To repeat Day 4, don't talk to Mark. To repeat Day 5, either talk to Mark ONCE only (you need to talk to him twice to advance the story) or stop moving crates after 3:30pm.

You've probably only talked to Mark once - talk to him again (and possibly again afterwards) until you get a notebook ping.

At the end of day 4 go over to warehouse 17 and Mark will be getting beaten up by the mad angels. They mention the long zha in the cut scene. Did you get This part?

Immediately after go and talk to Mark who mentions Tony and Smith by name and then the scene will take place the next day. Usually around 2/3pm.

That happens on Day 2 where he mentions his brother, but day 4, Mark mentions the Long Zha if I remember correctly.

Back