Stuck on Day #5 of working at the harbor with no story progression. Possible bug/glitch?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Shenmue 1 HD
I have the PS4 disc version of Shenmue I & II if that helps with info. I'm currently playing through S1 and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with the game, glitch or story-progression wise, until now.

I started day 5 of working at the harbor, and I have the entries in Ryo's notebook stating that, (and this isn't entirely verbatim but paraphrased from memory), "The 2 foreigners I rarely see, Tony and Smith, may know about Long Zha", and "They have been seen hanging around the cafeteria." I completed the morning forklift race and work until noon as usual. After the cutscene of Goro telling how he is getting married soon, I knew to head to the area outside warehouse #18 and the lounge/cafeteria to find them. Nothing.....not there at all.

I then finished the rest of the work shift (2pm-5pm), and didn't get the cutscene where Ryo might encounter them while he's on the forklift at that point either, as I've seen in some video walkthroughs. I then talked to everyone I could see in the harbor, and the only helpful people with good info kept saying how they spotted Tony and Smith in front of the cafeteria. I would occasionally walk back to the area from both of the ways that you can get there every so often, hoping to trigger the scene, and still nothing. I tried this for 2 more in-game days until those 3 days ended and nothing. I just really hope I'm missing something obvious and it's not some game-breaking thing that causes me to never beat S1.

Any ideas guys? Any things I might just have simply overlooked? Up until this point I didn't consult any walkthroughs and when I finally did they didn't have any revelations that made me realize what I missed.

EDIT: I'm willing to start a new game if that's what it takes also, I just wonder what it is.

I have and still to no avail. Someone from a post I found back in 2015 regarding the Dreamcast edition said that it is a glitch that is triggered sometimes.

The scene you want happens whilst working the fork lift between 15:30-16:30. The trigger should be just before the spot the homeless man sits under the stairs with you coming from where the crates are stored near the old wharehouse area.
You could miss while working if you get stuck by mobs and miss the time zone or if you finish dropping all the crates and don't go near to the trigger spot.

The scene you want happens whilst working the fork lift between 15:30-16:30. The trigger should be just before the spot the homeless man sits under the stairs with you coming from where the crates are stored near the old wharehouse area.
You could miss while working if you get stuck by mobs and miss the time zone or if you finish dropping all the crates and don't go near to the trigger spot.

Thank you for your help! I am replaying it from start and when I get there again I will keep this time in mind.

This happened to me when the game first came out on the Dreamcast. Try going around in the forklift in the opposite direction. I deleted my save file to restart the game from the beginning, but found out during the reset walkthrough I was going in the wrong direction and it progressed on my first try.

I signed up to the forums just to warn you about this by the way because I remember how much it made me angry all those years ago..

Yeah, if I recall correctly, there's only one direction in which the cutscene triggers, and I think you have a minimum number of crates you need to move before it can trigger, so try to work dilligently, This is not a bug, however. It's just a bit difficult to trigger. Kind of a weird design choice.

I got stuck on this bit for weeks. It's part of the original game.

Ahhh makes sense now. On day number two didn’t get the cutscene either. Bout to play “day 3” so let see if it happens with me. Didn’t get scene in warehouse 3 with mad angels not with Mark.

Been so long since I played, but once you start your forklift job do you lose access to the shops in Dobuita since they are all closed by the time you get there. Or is there another opportunity

Been so long since I played, but once you start your forklift job do you lose access to the shops in Dobuita since they are all closed by the time you get there. Or is there another opportunity

By the time you get back most of them are closed except the ones thAt are open late and the bars.

The first time I ever played Shenmue was long before I had the internet and I legitimately played the game for months as a forklift driver. Day after day just delivering crates. It was only after about a month I realised something must be wrong and restarted the game.

I'm actually having a problem with the PS4 version myself. I'm at the part where you are supposed to call Master Chen about meeting at Warehouse 8 and Everytime I call Ryo will say "Uh I" instead of saying "I need to set up a meeting." I have tried almost everything I can think of but I cannot figure out what is going on. I try going through the gate to get to Old Warehouse 8 just to be told that I can't pass through. So frustrating.

The first time I ever played Shenmue was long before I had the internet and I legitimately played the game for months as a forklift driver. Day after day just delivering crates. It was only after about a month I realised something must be wrong and restarted the game.

I pulled a Shikoku and intentionally drove backwards for a couple days, based on this tip. ;)

It pays well, and would've given me more time for capsule collecting, if the game hadn't kept freezing on the capsule machine. At least the patch is coming soon.

Why doesn't this issue repeat itself on any other day if it's intentional? Day 2 seems to be the only day that punishes you for going the wrong way. I remember spending like two weeks doing Day 2 when I was 15 years old because I just assumed Shenmue was trying to force me to work a really long time.

I know it's an 'old' glitch. I experienced it in 2000!

Sounds like you and I thought the same thing.

I just eventually realized something didn't seem right about doing the same exact delivery EVERY day for weeks.

I've never missed this so long as I was working diligently. Then again I've never missed any of them that people get stuck on lol...

Capture.PNG

Back