Magic Monaco Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got what we wanted with Ryo's thinned out face. The last one was good, but had unbearable baby fat, like me in high school.

I truly believe that Yu-san wants to make the best game possible, however the decisions being made "around" the game are getting more and more ridiculous as time moves on. This game openly accepted public funding and then REPEATEDLY the choice is made to not show things to the entire public. "Gameplay" will be shown to a selected group of people. That selected group of people should...nay...needs to be the KickStarter backers. UNACCEPTABLE. The new screenshot looks great, but don't dangle a distraction in front of me to mask the fact that you are STILL hiding the gameplay footage. Who in their right mind thinks this is a good idea? This is simply becoming a test of patience. Cedric really needs to stop using Shenmue as a way to promote Magic Monaco. It is remarkably selfish. Matt and I are recording an episode tomorrow. The episode was originally intended to be an upbeat fun show, but I don't think that will be the case anymore. Stay tuned....
I'm not going to tell you guys what to do, but there are still a lot of unclear details about how this is being handled, and the question mark hanging over whether the new trailer will show gameplay anyway.

All I'm saying is, we shouldn't say things we can't take back. I know you guys have a platform and want to say something, but the situation is still ambiguous and some leeway should be afforded to let further details present themselves.

I'm not going to tell you guys what to do, but there are still a lot of unclear details about how this is being handled, and the question mark hanging over whether the new trailer will show gameplay anyway.

All I'm saying is, we shouldn't say things we can't take back. I know you guys have a platform and want to say something, but the situation is still ambiguous and some leeway should be afforded to let further details present themselves.

Agreed. I get what you guys mean in it does feel like Shenmue is being used to promote MAGIC but I'd say wait till after March 9th before you shit all over everything.

Selected people will see gameplay?

Ok, so my thoughts are that a new trailer is great news and that's what I expected. But it needs to be something substantial, no more cinematic teasers and no more 'old' in progress footage if we are to believe the game will really be released in August.

Furthermore, if there's not even a few seconds of gameplay in the trailer, then that would be disappointing if there isn't gameplay shown later, in its core form. The comment that 'selected people' will be shown gameplay concerns me. I put nearly half a grand into this game, many people pledged far more than me. Who are these 'select' few? I hope it's the press who will given an opportunity to preview and report on the game and I hope it is shared with backers soon afterwards...

Ryo looks nice. Shenhua also looks ok but is hard to tell for sure because the angle is not quite perfect to see her. As expected there was not much infos and I am happy that we get at least 2 pics. That was more than I expected.

I also wonder who this selected people that are privileged to see the game. This looks quite strange at the first glance because the infos should be more transparent. S3 is a kickstarter game after all. But I have internal infos about that so I won't judge Ys Net yet. Maybe they have a good reason for doing so. Lets just wait and see.

Um, do we have a transcript of exactly what Cedric said? Maybe he meant that a select few will play it at MAGIC.

Um, do we have a transcript of exactly what Cedric said? Maybe he meant that a select few will play it at MAGIC.

I'm hoping that's what he meant... But either way, isn't Magic Monaco a random event to do that at? It makes sense to have major press organisations playing the game and previewing it for large audiences. I can't imagine IGN, Eurogamer or whoever rocking up to Magic Monaco to play Shenmue 3.

Eh whatever. I'll wait and see.

Agreed. I get what you guys mean in it does feel like Shenmue is being used to promote MAGIC but I'd say wait till after March 9th before you shit all over everything.
Didn't say we are going to "shit" all over everything. Matt and I are just beyond the state of having blind faith in this project. I obviously want this game to be fantastic, but the majority of the marketing around it is full of bad decisions. I have a college diploma and a university degree in marketing. I know what I am talking about when it comes to good and bad marketing.

The comment was translated to English by a native French speaker, but I do agree that we probably need to hear more details from the horse's mouth.

People have had back-stage access to this game through other means before, either as a very high tier KS backer, part of the documentary crew, or some reps from fan outlets like the Dojo. That's not particularly new, but this public-but-not-public showing is something new that could have multiple permutations.

And again, I would not discount the fact that the new trailer could easily have gameplay. We won't actually know until March 9th, or someone says something.

Didn't say we are going to "shit" all over everything. Matt and I are just beyond the state of having blind faith in this project. I obviously want this game to be fantastic, but the majority of the marketing around it is full of bad decisions. I have a college diploma and a university degree in marketing. I know what I am talking about when it comes to good and bad marketing.
We're just saying it's maybe premature when there are so many question marks about how this will be handled, some of which may not be answered until literally on the day of MAGIC.

I think even you guys have to admit your previous post ended ominously, so I'm not surprised Paddy may have taken that to mean shots will be fired.

The scenery picture looks like it's based off real lifes' Guilin's Elephant Trunk Hill.

About Elephant Trunk Hill, Guilin, China.

Guilin Elephant Trunk Hill, also called the elephant hill, lies on the conjunction of the Li River and the peach blossom river. It is the badge of Guilin city. The whole hill looks exactly like a huge elephant stretching its trunk drinking water of the Li River. It is the masterpiece of karst landscape, composed of pure limestone deposited on seabed 360million years ago.

Between the "trunk" and the "body" is a vast round cave which resembles a full moon on water hence the name Moon-over-Water Cave. When the waters wave and the moonlight gleams, the scene is exceedingly enchanting. This cave intoxicated innumerous poets through ages. Many lines can be found giving high honor of the cave.

On the top of the hill stands a pagoda - Puxian Pagoda. Built in Ming Dynasty, it has a long history. At the foot of the hill is Yunfeng Temple, inside which is now the exhibition of The Revolution of the Taiping Heavenly Kindom in Guilin.

Shenmue 3:

1641044aa1rz3k4envvev8.jpg

Real Life:

elephanthill.jpg

1359656775_93229f5050.jpg

e444ecc2eefc7e429386a61b0a2dc825.jpg

7894ad1ad98ce66088bf18cca9b22bcb.jpg

Elephant-Trunk-Hill-5.jpg

The Legends of Elephant Trunk Hill

There are quite a few legends telling about the story of Elephant Trunk Hill. The most popular ones are as follow.

One legend tells that how Elephant Trunk Tree came about, In ancient time there is an elephant, which belonged to the Emperor of Heaven, came down to earth to help the people in their work. This angered the Emperor of Heaven, who stabbed the elephant while it was drinking at the river's edge and turned it to stone. The cave between the body and the trunk of this elephant figure is of a particularly interesting shape and has inspired poets and other writers, old and new, to engrave verses on its walls. The poems of Lo You, Fan Chengda, and other poets from different dynasties are of inestimable literary and archaeological value. On the top of the hill stands the Puxian Pagoda, erected during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and shaped as the handle of the dagger with which the elephant was killed.

Another legend tells that in ancient time, once 7 fairies came down from the heaven palace to appreciate the beautiful sceneries in the world. The youngest fairy saw that people living along the Li River often bothered by the flood, and the masses were living on the edge of starvation. She took pity on them. So she came down again with the god elephant of the Jade Emperor to help people here. When the Jade Emperor found the truth, he was very angry. He ordered his celestial general to take the fairy back. The elephant became the elephant hill with a sword on its back and it would never go back to the heaven palace. One day, Samantabhadra Bodhisattva passed here and saw the god elephant was suppressed by a sword on its back. Samantabhadra Bodhisattva was moved by what the elephant did. He pulled out the sword on the back of the elephant. But the elephant still violated the rules of the Heaven Palace; Samantabhadra Bodhisattva had to put his magic vase on the back of the elephant to keep it here. Later the vase became the Samantabhadra Pagoda. Time flied by, later, Samantabhadra Bodhisattva passed here again and he wanted to free the god elephant but found it already become the hill and could never come back to the Heaven Palace again. When Samantabhadra Bodhisattvadecided to come back, he found no one live here as the god elephant dredged the channel and disturbed the water in the river, and the water was so dirty that no people or animal could drink it. And he found it was because there were no stones at the bottom of the river which made the soil in the river could not deposit. Samantabhadra Bodhisattva changed his white elephant into a golden stone into the river, the water the river instantaneously become crystal clear. After that, many people came back to the bank of the Li River and lived here. People were moved by the god elephant. For memorizing the elephant, people named it the Elephant Hill or Elephant Trunk Hill.

Text source: https://www.topchinatravel.com/china-attractions/elephant-trunk-hi

Image source: Search Elephant Trunk Hill on Google Images.

Last edited:
Hi everyone !
I'm the person who translated the "selected person" part for gameplay. I'm a native french speaker btw. Going by the flow of the press conf, it's important to say that Cedric said they didnt iron out details yet.
More specifically, he said "gameplay will be shown to certain selected persons".

I will make a full transcript of the Shenmue 3 segment in an hour or so anyway.

We're just saying it's maybe premature when there are so many question marks about how this will be handled, some of which may not be answered until literally on the day of MAGIC.

I think even you guys have to admit your previous post ended ominously, so I'm not surprised Paddy may have taken that to mean shots will be fired.
I really think that you are missing the point here. There shouldn't be any ambiguity. That is part of the problem. If this is something that has all been lost in translation, that should be a learning experience for them. Have it professionally translated if a significant portion of your audience doesn't speak the same language.

I find it very disconcerting that a select group will see gameplay. 5 months before launch, that is a very troubling revelation if that is what was meant. I am hoping that was a missed translation.

Yu is a very secretive person, so I am hopeful it's a closed door hands-on playable segment for select press, as many game devs do that(Rockstar, etc.), not because it's a bad product, but because they want to keep certain things under wraps.

The environmental picture looks great as always. The character screen looks good despite it's resolution. If it is released in it's true resolution, we can have a better idea of it.

They are still working on the game, but this breadcrumb, limited information trail MUST stop. It is due in August and we need affirmation a quality product will hit that date, or delay it again.

I don't blame you... I agree, marketing and communication has been atrocious. Not to mention how disingenuous the whole thing comes across at times when they're so secretive and obstinate in refusing to show any gameplay.

As @Spaghetti said we don't know the full details of who will see what. I'd have not said anything if it was going to be previews to press etc as it saves this issue.

I do however agree with @Shenmue AM2 Podcast that they should have made this clearer and have things professionally translated if needed.

Lets wait for clarity before jumping the gun but yes there's some decisions being made which need sorting and communicated better.

As @Spaghetti said we don't know the full details of who will see what. I'd have not said anything if it was going to be previews to press etc as it saves this issue.

I do however agree with @Shenmue AM2 Podcast that they should have made this clearer and have things professionally translated if needed.

Lets wait for clarity before jumping the gun but yes there's some decisions being made which need sorting and communicated better.
We really aren't jumping the gun when it has happened multiple times before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back