Manga recommendations for 11-year-old?

Any recommendations for an 11-year-old? My kid is an advanced reader but obviously I don't want pervy themes, and she doesn't like intense violence. Some manga she's enjoyed so far include Yotsuba&!, Pokemon Adventures, Yokai Watch, Happy Happy Clover, Nichijou, and Nicola Traveling Around the Demons' World.

Hard to say because I've read so much without vetting for children. Depends on the 11 year old too. I'd probably recommend the original Leji Matsumoto's Space Battleship Yamato: The Classic Collection English reprint. It's on Amazon. In my opinion, it's a wonderful adventure with universal ethical life lessons for any child. It's similar to Star Trek: The Next Generation, but with an overarching plot about saving the Earth from an alien invasion in a manner that humanizes the aggressors so their invasion is understandable. The protagonists are concerned with honor as much as survival. Moreover it introduces the idea of a positive evolutionary progress of humanity finding its destiny post-Earth with alien allies. It sparks political and philosophical discussion for those inclined. You might read it first to be sure it's in line with your family's values and convictions, though. I don't think there's anything objectionable, but I can't be 100% sure. Another meaningful science fiction choice is Makmoto Yukimura's Planetes when she's a little older.

Back