Maximilian Dood twitch stream, sponsored by SEGA, full of glitches. Why SEGA...?

SquallAdv

「浪人の心」
PSN
CharlesLord
Steam
SquallAdv
So, in a few words, tonight the famous youtuber/streamer Maximilian Dood was streaming Shenmue I on his Twitch channel:
The stream was sponsored by SEGA, and they even gave him a Ryo jacket to use while streaming. Max likes Shenmue and played Shenmue back on Dreamcast, but -I repeat-, this time he was streaming because he was sponsored by SEGA (although he said at one point he only accepts sponsored streams when he was "really planning or wanting to play the game"). Anyway, his streams numbers normally goes between 8000 and 15000 viewers, at least. (Multiply that for thousands when he reuploads twitch streams clips/selections on his YouTube channel)

I will just add one or two screenshots, but you can check the full stream here:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/301123135

More than 3 times important cutscenes like young Ryo eating carrots with Iwao, the discussion with Fuku-san and Ine-san, or the first Chai apparition got bugged and instead of showing the characters it showed rain/snow or the current climate effect...

1.jpg

My question is, why SEGA? Just why? You even sponsored this stream, it is literally like saying: "hey guys, did you hear that game everyone is talking about? yep yep, that one, Shenmue! Well, you know... the game is full of bugs & glitches, so... DON'T BUY IT!."

Why not delay the game 3 weeks, 2 months, I don't know... but with the minimum effort in quality control, not releasing the game in this state. Just read the comments of the screenshot... one of them says it all:

2.jpg

I found myself defending d3t/SEGA -like a SEGA employee- and these remasters with comments like: "it's ok, these remasters are great / lot of improvements over the originals, and SEGA already stated they are fixing all these glitches next week!", or things like that. I want Shenmue to go big, to sell well, I want the world to love Shenmue and wish for a shiny future with Shenmue III & Shenmue IV / V. Plus I'm really grateful with SEGA for listening to his fans and giving us these long-dreamed remasters.

Just... not like this. I don't think this is helping Shenmue at all, or at least like it should be.

Last edited:
That is just unfortunate. The cutscene glitch is the most random thing ever and this seems to have been in really bad luck.

It was not something "unfortunate". It happened at least 3, 4 or 5 times during the stream, check the link if you don't believe me.

Yeah that it in fact unfortunate. I'm up to the second work day and only had it happen once. Again, it can go smooth or not at all.
Of course it sucks to present a game like that in this kind of state.

I just can't understand the reason behind releasing the remasters in this state, with such a hurry. Shenmue III is coming August 2019 (probably...), releasing the game in a few months properly tested was the best option, without question.

Nobody wouldn't mind to wait until December, and get the game properly finished. Let this be a lesson for them.
Sega actually would, simply put, most big games want to launch on the christmas window, Shenmue would get suffocated (and they already have a schedule of games).
The problem is that the game is just too bugged, since it seems that any cutscene could glitch but it's kinda random, they hoped it could pass. It doesn't.
I got around disk 3 without much hazzle, but then glitched like 8 times.

It's sad that the industry works this way, but it does.
It's just that the cuscenes bug should be one of the few things that must have shipped in order (for a game like Shenmue).

I hope they'll keep fixing it, and not just close the lid and call it a day (this is now best case scenario).

This is sad, and I've been defending these HD versions to death here on the forum. They are basically ports, and still so buggy... Also I don't see why they couldn't clean up even a tiny bit of that compressed sound.
I just hope it didn't ruin people's experience of this game, specially for the ones playing it for the first time.

This is sad, and I've been defending these HD versions to death here on the forum. They are basically ports, and still so buggy... Also I don't see why they couldn't clean up even a tiny bit of that compressed sound.
I just hope it didn't ruin people's experience of this game, specially for the ones playing it for the first time.

Truly sad indeed.

It's hard to clean up sound when it's fucked from the source, the game has thousands of lines, and probably recorded in different dates/settings.
I guess they could have the masters and try to find an auto replace approach (but who knows how the naming conventions work / data table works), they might have thought the game was fine as it is.

I think they were forced to release it before bug testing was complete to tie in with gamescom & the shenmue III release date trailer,i have never seen a game with such glaring bugs.

From the moment you make your first movements in ryo´s room the sound is off,i´ve only had one cutscene bug with fuku-san after getting the mirror but seeing what others are experiencing it´s really embarrising especially considering how small shenmue is.

If they patch most of it within a couple of weeks after release then that makes up for it in a way but a shame for the fans out there including me who waiting day 1 for these to meet such jarring issues.

I just hope people understand that these glitches are going to be ironed out relatively soon. I have encountered a few minor bugs on the Xbox One but not enough to totally sour the experience.

I had my Stream Close down once when the PS4 game closed down completely. At first I thought the complaints were a bit much but having beat the first game now and had many cutscenes black out or focus on another location on the map I can see why some may be upset.

Still haven't had cutscene glitches. Only bugs I have are Ryo's loud footsteps in his room, jacket meshing with the Dojo floor texture, and Space Harrier's weird controls. Still testing moves leveling up. Sucks others are having issues.

Yeah that it in fact unfortunate. I'm up to the second work day and only had it happen once. Again, it can go smooth or not at all.
Of course it sucks to present a game like that in this kind of state.

Yup, same here. I've just finished the second day of work on the 'disc 3' part of the game and I've only had one cutscene glitch like that for me. It's weird how for some people it seems to be a really prominent glitch.

I know I'm going to get chastised for defending it, but it's really not a big deal. Considering you can save any time at any point, then just reload your last save and the cutscene will most likely run fine.

This is certainly not an advantage for the series. New players might assume that these bugs were always the case. Some reviews called the series amazing,... but they had to give a score of 7/10 because of the bugs. I wonder what the average score would have been otherwise.

Speaking of sound. I had a quick look at some Shenmue audio files during a break (was mixing tracks for a band). I wondered if the metallic sounding distortion (more obvious on slightly better speakers/headphones) could be reduced without affecting the source too much. I had just uploaded quick tests before seeing this thread.
I tested some filters and analog/digital EQ's to see which one was most effective here. Then I ran it through that and a few other tools.
The original audio plays first, then the changed one :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/szt45ku8v8no3k3/AABY2Eg6VoMJVZD5kQfU2PUZa?dl=0

There's not a lot of room for major improvements and some changes just sounded different or even worse depending on the file. General settings wouldn't work either so they would have a lot of work. But it would have been nice if they tried. Now if they only had those original recordings (Yu once said that original higher resolution assets were available for Shenmue).

Last edited:
Back