Model swapping on steam version

Hey everyone,

I recently saw videos of Shenmue model swaps on youtube for the first time and wanted to try it myself.
Unfortunately I ran into problems I haven't been able to solve with the information I found on the Internet.
Maybe someone on here knows what I've been doing wrong.

(I mostly followed these instructions: youtube.com/watch?v=08Uqpah9KkU )

• First I import the disk_5be2c578.tad using the Shenmue HD Mod Tools to acess the actual files.
  • Second I open the mapinfo.bin for Dobuita and replace ykb_m and ykb_f with kis_m and kis_f and save the file.
From here the instructions create a bootable copy for Dreamcast, and I've tried the following steps instead:

1. File -> Export all the files into a new tad to replace the vanilla one or
  2. Mark the modified data and export only this one and try using forklift (which I unpacked into steamapps/common/SMLaunch/sm1)
Both ways, however have the same result, the game tries to boot for a few seconds until a ctd without an error.
I've never done something like this before, so I probably misunterstood something, can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance for any advice. ^^

Hey everyone,

I recently saw videos of Shenmue model swaps on youtube for the first time and wanted to try it myself.
Unfortunately I ran into problems I haven't been able to solve with the information I found on the Internet.
Maybe someone on here knows what I've been doing wrong.

(I mostly followed these instructions: youtube.com/watch?v=08Uqpah9KkU )

• First I import the disk_5be2c578.tad using the Shenmue HD Mod Tools to acess the actual files.
  • Second I open the mapinfo.bin for Dobuita and replace ykb_m and ykb_f with kis_m and kis_f and save the file.
From here the instructions create a bootable copy for Dreamcast, and I've tried the following steps instead:

1. File -> Export all the files into a new tad to replace the vanilla one or
  2. Mark the modified data and export only this one and try using forklift (which I unpacked into steamapps/common/SMLaunch/sm1)
Both ways, however have the same result, the game tries to boot for a few seconds until a ctd without an error.
I've never done something like this before, so I probably misunterstood something, can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance for any advice. ^^
I would use Forklift for this. You shouldn't need to mess around with creating Dreamcast images. Anything you put inside your mods folder after you've installed Forklift will act as an overlay to the original file structure.

For example,

Placing KIS_M (renamed to YKB_M) into mods\scene\01\model\chara should get you started.

@LemonHaze
Oh, wow, thanks a lot!
I misunderstood how to use forklift with his, I always tried to compile a new file out of the modified data to load using forklift.
It is really easy the way you explained it!

I now notices that the model names on this site:
do not always match with the model names found in the unpacked steam files.
I tried unpacking the humans.afs to check the IDs, however the files are exportet as "file x".

I'd be willing to manually make a model name list referring to the steam version, but before I do it i'd like to know if
there is a quick automated way and I'd just waste my time :D
What do you think?

@LemonHaze
Oh, wow, thanks a lot!
I misunderstood how to use forklift with his, I always tried to compile a new file out of the modified data to load using forklift.
It is really easy the way you explained it!

I now notices that the model names on this site:
do not always match with the model names found in the unpacked steam files.
I tried unpacking the humans.afs to check the IDs, however the files are exportet as "file x".

I'd be willing to manually make a model name list referring to the steam version, but before I do it i'd like to know if
there is a quick automated way and I'd just waste my time :D
What do you think?
It's likely because you're using ShenmueModTools. You should likely use wudecon which can do all of the common things you might want to do.

Back