Money problem in Shenmue I

In Shenmue 1, you are not going to get a lot of money to spend on whatever you want.

Especially at the beginning of the game.

Ryo will get 500 Yen a day, but you are most likely going to spend more than 500 Yen a day, especially when you need to go to Amihama (the Harbor).

Ryo will have to spend a minimum of 320 Yen to go to the harbor, 160 Yen for the trip to the harbor, and another 160 Yen to go back to Dobuita. That only leaves Ryo with 180 Yen of his daily allowance to spend if he wants to spend his Yen without going broke.

When you get money to spend on the ticket, Ryo will literally avoid spending any money until he gets the boat ticket from Asia Travel Company.

Once you do, you thankfully have some more money than you did at the beginning of the game, but I feel it won't be enough to get every inventory item in game, especially at the Abe Store in Sakuragaoka.

You definitely can make much more money when you get a job at the harbor, especially with a certain path that can help repeat a day at the harbor job, and help you get up to 600 Yen a crate.

That means at that point, Ryo can make as much as 4800 Yen a day (for 8 crates) possibly even more.

So this wouldn't be an issue for the convenience stores in Dobuita and at the Harbor. It can also help you get the martial art scrolls at Bunkado Antiques (even though you can afford to buy them all when you start the game, in total you would have to pay 8500 Yen, and you start with around 10,000 Yen)

This becomes a problem if you are doing the Abe Store raffles, as Ryo will not leave the harbor until 8:00, one hour after Abe Store closes.

Getting the Yukawa figures, will be a challenge, and you may need to get a whole load of raffle tickets.

And even if you do get time to visit Abe Store after Ryo gets fired, he only has a few in game hours to go to anywhere he wants before he goes back to the harbor to farewell Tom.

And later that day, he has to stay at the harbor to fight Gui Zhang and take down the Mad Angels. After that is the final fight with Chai, before Ryo goes to Hong Kong to start Shenmue II.

I know you can use the winning cans in the store raffles, but how do you know you will get a winning can the next time you buy a drink?

You could fail the QTE where you sneak into the Old District and accumulate 500 Yen for each day skipped, but if you get to April 15 in game, you get the bad ending, which means game over.

You definitely can make much more money when you get a job at the harbor, especially with a certain path that can help repeat a day at the harbor job, and help you get up to 600 Yen a crate.

That means at that point, Ryo can make as much as 4800 Yen a day (for 8 crates) possibly even more.

Yeah, you can take a LOT more than 8 crates per day. 18 is easy enough to do consistently, and it's possible to take all 20. It shouldn't be a problem to net 10800 Yen per day (plus the 180 Yen you have left after bus travel - you still receive your allowance while working).

I know you can use the winning cans in the store raffles, but how do you know you will get a winning can the next time you buy a drink?

You don't. You can, however, use the save/reload feature to make sure you get a winning can.

You could fail the QTE where you sneak into the Old District and accumulate 500 Yen for each day skipped, but if you get to April 15 in game, you get the bad ending, which means game over.

Unfortunately you only get 180 Yen per day, as the game takes into account the necessary bus travel too. If you want the full 500 Yen you have to wait the long way...

Getting the Yukawa figures, will be a challenge, and you may need to get a whole load of raffle tickets.

The Yukawa figures are not that much of a challenge - they take at most an hour of save scumming the raffle.

Dural Gold on the other hand... I've literally spent a full 24 hours on-stream over the past fortnight trying to get it, and 2760 attempts later it's still out of reach.

If you don't spend any money on stuff that is deemed unnecessary, and finish as quickly as possible, you will, at most, finish the game with about 56,826 Yen. Give or take.

And if you use your Dreamcast save file for the second game, it will come to about HK$1,894.

Last edited:
Only 8 crates? I remember making 6 crates in only the first 2 hours of the game, before break-time.
You can make easily 12 or 13. Thats like 7-8k per day.

Only 8 crates? I remember making 6 crates in only the first 2 hours of the game, before break-time.
You can make easily 12 or 13. Thats like 7-8k per day.
I was using the quota Yada-San gives you as a reference.
I have not played the first game in a long time, so I do not know how many crates can be placed in the warehouse during one shift.

I was using the quota Yada-San gives you as a reference.
I have not played the first game in a long time, so I do not know how many crates can be placed in the warehouse during one shift.
We'll just read above. Usually average of 14 is achievable :)

Back