Music

Araviel

Knowledge is power
Site Staff
Designated topic for discussing music, bands, lyrics, songs you get the picture.

Brought on by this amazing news

Needless to say perhaps, but this has been (along with the new album coming soon swoons) like Shenmue III a long wait. Only 13 years so shan't complain too hard.

Fucking Tool... My mate never shuts up about em thinkin he can convert me to a metal head.

Gonna finally give The Lost Tapes II a listen later. Not been a fan of Nas' shit over the last decade, so hopefully this'll change it.

Designated topic for discussing music, bands, lyrics, songs you get the picture.

Brought on by this amazing news

View attachment 3713

Needless to say perhaps, but this has been (along with the new album coming soon swoons) like Shenmue III a long wait. Only 13 years so shan't complain too hard.

It's a good month to be a TOOL fan :) Fear Inoculum at the end of the month and their back catalog on streaming services...yeap, good month for TOOL fans. Can you imagine if Shenmue III HAD released this month? :) To be a Shenmue and TOOL fan would have been bliss this month.

Can't wait for the new album. It's a day one buy, without question. I will buy it on Vinyl (if available). That's the only way this announcement could have been better for me. If they had announced their entire back catalog being re-released on Vinyl (yeah, I'm a hipster :( )

Those opening drums on Ticks and Leeches get me every time.

Anyways, Slipknot's new album is out this Friday. I'm keen to check it out. I like Slipknot.

It's a good month to be a TOOL fan :) Fear Inoculum at the end of the month and their back catalog on streaming services...yeap, good month for TOOL fans. Can you imagine if Shenmue III HAD released this month? :) To be a Shenmue and TOOL fan would have been bliss this month.

Can't wait for the new album. It's a day one buy, without question. I will buy it on Vinyl (if available). That's the only way this announcement could have been better for me. If they had announced their entire back catalog being re-released on Vinyl (yeah, I'm a hipster :( )

Those opening drums on Ticks and Leeches get me every time.

Anyways, Slipknot's new album is out this Friday. I'm keen to check it out. I like Slipknot.

You're preaching to the choir, got the lot on vinyl and awaiting the vinyl collectors edition for Fear Inoculum. Newest song streaming now. I'm so happy it's getting a bit stupid. If SIII really was coming out on August 27th I would have had to go into isolation.

Aja by Steely Dan is my #1 album.

One of the ten best MUSIC (not just rock) albums of all time. Wonderfully-produced, fantastic tunes, beautifully-written and performed, it is a genuine work of modern art.

As for Tool, as phenomenal as they are (and a great announcement for the fans), I still mightily prefer Green Jellÿ :D

Since this is basically the Tool thread at this point. I just want to say how bloody reassuring it was to listen to their new track today and feel completely comfortable that that album would be totally worth the way. I kept thinking to myself "Man, I hope this is still gonna sound like Tool." And it absolutely did, it was like getting a warm prog hug. I'm very much looking forward to where the whole album goes.

I went vinyl happy last weekend.

”Lebe Dich Leer“ - Bethelehem — One of my favourite albums of the year thus far. The often overlooked masters of Black Metal return with one of their best albums in years. Not for everyone; the screeching will either enthrall you or turn you off completely. But for this long time Bethlehem fan, it’s an incredible album.

“The Jester Race” - In Flames — One of my favourite Melo-death albums of all time. Man, I really miss this In Flames so damn much. I don’t hate new In Flames like some people do, but yeah, their new stuff pales in comparison to their old stuff. Although, I did like their new album “I, Am The Mask”

“Ride the Lightining” - Metallica — Classic Metallica Thrash...can never go wrong with old Metallica.

I'm very excited for the new Tool album as I adore Lateralus. However, I listened to 10,000 Days again yesterday and I think it is such a crushing disappointment. The new song is much better mind!

As for favourite album? Jesus...hard to say as I listen to metal, folk, indie, drone, J-pop, dance, doo-wop, pop, synthwave, ambient, classic rock, hip-hop, R&B, AOR, house, garage, vocaloid and soul music...

But push come to shove? My joint top 3 albums are Meat Loaf's "Bat out of Hell II", Hardline's "Double Eclipse" and Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American". Eels' "Blinking Lights & Other Revelations" and Arcade Fire's "Funeral" probably round up the top 5!

I'm very excited for the new Tool album as I adore Lateralus. However, I listened to 10,000 Days again yesterday and I think it is such a crushing disappointment. The new song is much better mind!

I don't necessarily mind 10,000 Days...not my favorite album of theirs (that honor belongs to Ænima) but I don't mind it.

Really looking forward to the new album next week...kind of regret not putting down a pre-order for the fancy edition...but I will pick it up on release day none the less.

I gave this a listen last night. Rainer Landfermann was a former vocalist for the aforementioned German Black Metal band Bethlehem. I was first introduced to Bethlehem through the Harmony Korine film Gummo and I just remember hearing Rainer Landfemann's voice and being absolutely mesmerized by its inhuman nature. This man is capable of some of the most inhuman screams I have ever heard.

How would I describe the album? Experimental Black Metal. If you want to hear an album where a tortured man is shrieking as though his soul is being ripped out, then this is for you. Which I know full well will not be for everyone.

But this album is purely experimental and it's a bit hit and miss, but I applaud the effort. Anyone who can fuse Jazz music with Black Metal screams deserves a nod from me...and it kind of works. It starts off with a pretty melancholic jazz backing and then Rainer just proceeds to let it all out in his misanthrophic way. And then it morphs into something that resembles traditional black metal riffs before moving its way back to a lower tempo Jazz inspired flavor.

It's purely experimental and highly artistic. And it's definitely not for every one! But for this long time Bethlehem / Rainer Landfermann / Black metal fan....I appreciate the effort as a whole. It is one of the more unique albums I've heard this year.

Also sat down and gave Slipknot's new album a complete listen. Sounds like Slipknot. I actually do quite like the opening track Unsainted...even if its chorus does remind me of Sulfur. Not terrible. It's perfectly fine as a whole.

I was bummed to find out my local record shop was sold out of the new Blanck Mass LP

This is a solo project from one half of Fuck Buttons and I would describe it as electronica with elements of metal, noise, EDM and ambient.

Fun story, I saw the artist in a converted church a few years ago. I went to the merch stand and asked the guy if there was a cash point nearby to which he said he wasn't from around here...turns out it was the artist himself! Oops! Nice guy though. His last album "World Eater" is one of my favourite albums of this decade :D

I've listened to Tool's new album twice now. This isn't meant so much as an insult, but it does very much play like "What if Schism was a whole album instead of a song."

It's also one of those situations where, after you've waited for such a long time for something to be released. There's not really any way that whatever it is can live up to what you might have in your head. It's definitely way more subdued that their older stuff, I'd say less heavy but not necessarily less interesting. It's different. I feel like whereas a lot of the appeal in the past used to come, for better or worse from Maynard, now the rest of the band have been given a spotlight to perform under so the stuff that shines tends to be instrumental more than how specific harmonies and lyrics of the vocals match up...if that makes sense?

I feel like it's one of those albums that will grow over time to be enjoyed much more. At the moment I tend to have it somewhere near the middle bottom of all of their albums. But honestly, the ranking of anything really doesn't matter. I've still ultimately listened to it twice in the space of a day, one of which was from midnight until about 1:30 in the morning.

To me it sounds like a band accepting and embracing the fact that they are older now, and changing their sound to reflect that. So it doesn't have the anger of earlier records, but I guess that's because anger at such an age when they're all relatively satisfied with their lives wouldn't be very authentic, and perhaps just a little bit silly.

It's like the NIN problem. If you like NIN, then you will always be able to find something to like about their new stuff. Even if some of it is admittedly very hit or miss. I feel like this is very much the same.

I know this reads a little negatively in some ways. But for the record, I do also think there are some really great tracks on this. It's just that I've not had long enough to really form a strong opinion on what stands out to me the most.

So I saw the Who last night for the 4th time in my life (haven't missed a tour through Canada in my lifetime, save for Quadrophenia in 2013) and they were awesome as usual, save for a few things;

• They started with a bunch of Tommy songs that nobody knew (I know their entire catalogue, so no biggie for me)
  • They ENDED with Baba O'Reily (which has been their opener for FOREVER and it is significantly better as a concert starter, than ender) and, as they played with an orchestra (aside from Love Reign O'er me, they consistently drowned out Pete, Simon and Zak), Baba was played with Piano and Violin (ala the studio version that is overplayed to death), rather than Bass and Harmonica (which is the live standard and sounds SIGNIFICANTLY better).
  • Won't Get Fooled Again was played in the MIDDLE of the set and was entirely acoustic... still good, but your closer, where you go balls to the wall and end off the night with a bang, in the middle and acoustic? Ugh...
  • I was surrounded by people that knew 10 of the 25ish songs they played. On their phones, constantly getting up and disturbing others, "Wooo!!! Woooooo!!!!!!!," during every single bloody song they DID know...
  • They didn't play My Generation. Criminal.

For a 74 and 75 year old, they still perform superbly; not as theatric as they were in the 60s and 70s, but still.

Oh, and Ringo's son is a GREAT drummer.

Back