New “Wall glitch” found?

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
A Hat in Time
A few days ago I discovered what I believe to be an undocumented glitch in Shenmue I HD (haven’t tested if it works in the original as well). This trick has something to do with the throw move Tiger Storm and the way it is able to launch enemies onto walls, which inflicts a conspicuous amount of damage and is more often than not able to defeat them in one hit.

This in itself might not surprise anyone, since a lot of enemies go down in a couple of blows, but when you take into account that bosses also go down in (close to) to one hit, that's bound to raise a few eyebrows, since there isn’t a single move that does that much damage and Tiger Storm is no exception.

The conditions for this to work are the following:

1. You of course need to buy the move “Tiger Storm”. You can find it in Bunkado Antiques in Dobuita. You need to train it (by progressing the story, sparring with Fuku-san takes ages) until you reach “Intermediate level” – the move’s animation will have changed and that’s what you’re looking for.

2. Use “Tiger Storm” on an opponent (ideally bosses, because they have more health) that is close/has his back against the wall. The damage should be enough to knock him out in one blow, though this doesn’t always happen. I explain this inconsistency below.

Strange, isn’t it? What exactly happens behind the scenes is a mystery, but here’s my theory:

- Whenever you throw the enemy against the wall during the second part of the move, the wall collision doesn't work as intended and somehow ends up boosting the total damage inflicted. This will not work however if collision actually works as it should (enemies get stunned for a couple of seconds and hit the ground).

That being all said, I’ll leave a video showcasing its destructive power against BOSS 2 of the Mad Angels. Sure enough, he goes down in less than 4 seconds!

Would this glitch allow you both to get faster times for 70man battle?
This trick may allow us to reach a time as low as 2:35.XX. It’s just a shame it’s so inconsistent and difficult to execute. So for this reason, chances for this to happen are very slim. I'd say a 2:45.XX might be possible with a little perseverance and luck.

BOSS 2 is definitely the easiest opponent on whom you can make use of this technique. Usually, it takes around 12/13 seconds to knock him out, but with this trick it can take less than 4 seconds. BOSS 1 doesn’t have much health, so I don’t think it’s worth using this strategy.

BOSS 3 is the one giving the most problems. While the glitch could theoretically allow us to beat him faster (20-25 seconds VS 30-35 seconds) , his general behaviour is too unpredictable to justify taking the risk. To be honest, I don’t really like the way we deal with him right now (executing 10 consecutive Demon Drops), but at least that’s not based as much on luck or chance.

Back