New Shenmue 3 Images from GameInformer - Warning: POSSIBLE DLC STORY SPOILERS

Good comparison.

Mind you, people have been shitposting for the last 3 years, that the entire Yakuza series on PS4, looks like early PS3 games, so there's no pleasing anyone.

The Dragon Engine is very capable.

Yakuza-3-0.jpg

Yakuza has the advantage of aesthetics for those seeking realism because the game uses facial scanning. Myself personally however, I prefer the animated look that one finds in games like Rule of Rose, Deracine, Final Fantasy, Fatal Frame and DOA.

I thought the in-game model for Takeshi Kitano was just brilliant; the best they've ever done, in terms of getting it bang on with the real-life actor (now, probably tied with Kimutaku).

Hell, Yakuza 3 still looks fantastic in some (FEW lol) spots; the entire series has looked superb for the consoles they've run on.

Good comparison.

Mind you, people have been shitposting for the last 3 years, that the entire Yakuza series on PS4, looks like early PS3 games, so there's no pleasing everyone.
How people can see the exact same things in a completely different manner really blows my mind. These are honestly imo two of the best looking games out there from ANY country, not even limiting to Japan, and yet there are people still comparing them to PS2 and PS3 games. It's like all they see are character models and animations, I don't get it. Even with character models, I get there are unimpressive NPCs, but look at the likes of Lan Di or any of the main baddies in a Yakuza game.

Best likenesses in Yakuza for me are still Kitano and the three Dojima lieutenants from 0. Both in terms of likeness, and character (personalities). Beats the crap out of most other games in my opinion, Yakuza writing has some hilarious plot holes at times, but damn if they don't have some of the best written characters in the game industry. Only game's I'd probably place about it is Legacy of Kain (the series) and Mafia 1 (best crime based plot in any game, no doubt).

Hell, Yakuza 3 still looks fantastic in some (FEW lol) spots; the entire series has looked superb for the consoles they've run on.
Okinawa looks ace, especially around the entrance to the market and the beach around sunset (those Sega skies putting in work). Its amazing how just upping the res for the PS4 version made it pop so damn nice.

As for Shenmue 3, I like its stylised look. Environment wise it looks spectaular, and even character models look fine especially when taking into consideration the budget. Which is one of the graphics complaints I don't get, as people seem to compare it to these games with budgets that are no doubt double/triple (or even higher) to a kickstarted game. Also, the other complaint that I've seen elsewhere is one about it looking like some sort of Unreal engine asset flip - which is bizarre as I've seen what those types of games look for and this ain't it, as this game has its own sense of style (especially the characters).

think a overlooked comment from one of the game informer videos (forget which one) is the fact that they said while space harrier and such werent in Shenmue 3, there were clones of those type of games, apart from the
Chobu-Chan Virtua Fighter clone.

Edit: found it. 54:26.
Cant wait to see what classic sega game clones are in s3.

Last edited:
I thought the in-game model for Takeshi Kitano was just brilliant; the best they've ever done, in terms of getting it bang on with the real-life actor (now, probably tied with Kimutaku).

Yakuza 3 looks good, but I will always stand kiryu's face in 3 and 4 looks super off and that alone bothers me to no end. When they changed engine for 5 I think they nailed his look.

I do expect a lot of people comparing Shenmue 3's stylized models to the dragon engine's gorgeously realistic characters though which is gonna drive me up the wall. Like Its such an unfair comparison not just cause of the different scales and intent of the games, but also frankly (time for my bias to show) yakuza is pretty much the apex for me when it comes to realistic looking characters based on actors, its honestly insane how well they capture some of them its crazy.

Yakuza 3 looks good, but I will always stand kiryu's face in 3 and 4 looks super off and that alone bothers me to no end. When they changed engine for 5 I think they nailed his look.

I do expect a lot of people comparing Shenmue 3's stylized models to the dragon engine's gorgeously realistic characters though which is gonna drive me up the wall. Like Its such an unfair comparison not just cause of the different scales and intent of the games, but also frankly (time for my bias to show) yakuza is pretty much the apex for me when it comes to realistic looking characters based on actors, its honestly insane how well they capture some of them its crazy.
Agreed on both points. They were still playing with Kiryu's appearance in those early PS3 games and yeah, it looks weird in 3 (less so in cutscenes I think, but his character model as a whole looks a bit weird going back to the games on the PS4 remasters). 5 certainly nailed it, Kiryu looks amazing in that game, and the added animation to certain actions certainly helps nail that.

And yeah, the comparison between Shen 3 and Yakuza 7 was a bit strange in my mind. Both are trying to hit different goals with their graphics, open worlds (well, everything, the similarities are superficial at best and since both games have different budgets etc. its not a really fair or accurate comparison).

Remember the firefighter in the same pose as Space Harrier?

View attachment 4666
I remember, I noticed this when I first saw the screenshot lol.

Wait WHAT?? Where is this firefighter?
Edit: posted wrong pic.
Bottom left most capsule machine.
Correct one
Shenmue-3-new-3.jpg

Last edited:
It was in one of the early screenshots of the interior of a boat... on a capsule toy machine in the corner of the image. I was like, I know that pose... where have I seen it before? :D

Shenmue-3-new-3.jpg

Also a different firefighter capsule machine in this pic

80-Reboot_2019_Chobu_Arcade.jpg

Luckily had that spoiled a while ago.

I think its a great inclusion. Why is he here? Did he follow Ryo? Is Yuanda Zhu keeping tabs on Ryo? Is he actually helping the Chiyoumen???

I don't know, perhaps Ryo should twist his hand, until he gives Ryo answers :)

How people can see the exact same things in a completely different manner really blows my mind. These are honestly imo two of the best looking games out there from ANY country, not even limiting to Japan, and yet there are people still comparing them to PS2 and PS3 games. It's like all they see are character models and animations, I don't get it. Even with character models, I get there are unimpressive NPCs, but look at the likes of Lan Di or any of the main baddies in a Yakuza game.
That is because at the end of the day, graphic whores don't actually care how good they look, only how much power/specs are needed to get X graphics sigh.

Not a fan of that "new Niao Sun". (if its her) The old design looks way more unique with the hair,
the evil smile and the serious stare.
The old design looks like a elegant and beautiful but dangerous woman that you want to meet but you will regret it.
The new design just looks like a beautiful random woman.
If somebody would tell me that this is a new character in Dead or Alive, i would believe them.
Its pretty much the exact same problem i have with the new Shenhua. The new Shenhua is "just a pretty girl".
Not that it makes me mad or anything, i just think it could be more unique.

If back in 2001 or whatever someone would have shown me character screenshots for the 2019 Shenmue 3
"here this is 2019 Ryo, Ren, Chai, Lan Di, Shenhua and Niao Sun"
i would have commented "thats not Shenhua and Niao Sun."
the good thing is that you can change clothes so you can probably have Shenhua look like before.
I hope so they sell her old outfit.

the good thing is that you can change clothes so you can probably have Shenhua look like before.
I hope so they sell her old outfit.
I think the problem that some of us have with the new Shenhua model as it stands, is not the outfit but the face. It's too doll-like and retains nothing of the personality conveyed in the old design.

I think the problem that some of us have with the new Shenhua model as it stands, is not the outfit but the face. It's too doll-like and retains nothing of the personality conveyed in the old design.

Yea while I hate hew new outfit, the bigger problem is her face, she doesn't look anything like the Shenhua we know. I don't know why Yu did this, the other characters look like who they are suppose to be, but sadly Shenhua doesn't.

I don't know why Yu did this, the other characters look like who they are suppose to be, but sadly Shenhua doesn't.
Based on some of the things Yu has said, I think it's because of a misconception that Shenhua was not a popular character among the fans. But that's just my theory, I wrote about it in another thread.

Back