New Yu Suzuki interview (Japanese)

Just another reminder that we gotta come out in drove to support it guys. The barrier of success is much lower (around 10k+) so lets break even and at least double or triple the profit margin so Yu Suzuki will have a stronger pitching power for the franchise. We can show Sega the Ip is worth finishing.

If the barrier of success is only 10k consider all Shenmue animes green lit. The hardcore community will do this easily.😎

Shenmue 4 E3 2021

From this interview, they make it sound like they might not be able to include much of 2? That would be a real shame, as 2's story would be amazing anime-ised. Shenmue 1, much as I love it, is much better served as an introduction chapter, but I expect an anime to be faster paced (which I think they can do whilst retaining the true Shenmue feel) and to feature a lot of the awesome characters, story beats and set pieces from Shenmue 2.
They still seem to be in the process of figuring out where they should leave off that would build the most hype, and leave fans eagerly anticipating the second season. Either way, it does seem like they probably won't be delving too much into Shenmue II's story in this first season, but are trying to get Ryo to HK in that window.

It's got to be a machine translation. Notice how they keep calling YS "Yuu."
The author of the article seems to be someone who mostly translates Sakurai and Miyamoto interviews, and may not be that familiar with Suzuki, or that people tend to write his name as, 'Yu" in English.

Regardless, I do think that comment was only kind of half translated. From my perspective, Yu's response was more like, 'It's probably at the point where we're ready to move on [development] whenever the chance arises, and I think [Shenmue IV] will get a release.' Whether or not that's just Suzuki being optimistic I guess is hard to say, but I feel like he's saying that pre-production and planning are basically settled, and it's a matter of getting their full funding for development.

Happy to see Corey tweet this out. I was open to a new English Ryo but just as happy for him to return, too. There will always be the Japanese track for purists.

I look forward to Switch's translation regarding the comments surrounding the ending point of the anime and S4. I'll be surprised (based on a previous comment by a Crunchyroll producer) if the anime only makes it to the beginning of Hong Kong. Exciting, anyway :D

News from Corey
Yeah, the statements from the anime producer in that interview seemed to hint at the possibility of there not being an English dub. He seemed to only really be talking about how accepting the world has become of Japanese animation with English subtitles in terms of internet web streaming, but I thought there was no way it wouldn't have English VA at least when being aired on Adult Swim. Has AS ever shown anything subtitled before?

If we're looking at the glass half full here, the fact that Sega is actually footing a high budget for a Shenmue anime of all things means they would be more open to providing YS the cash he needs to make Shenmue IV.

I think Corey is more than ok for an English dub of an anime. I really think folks over-estimate the quality of the average anime dub. He'd probably come across better than he does in the games since the lines won't be as necessarily titled as they are in the games.

Isn't it a bit concerning that there may not be an English dub? That will severely limit its reach and its audience.

Yes, hardcore Shenmue and anime fans will probably prefer the Japanese original track and scoff at those who insist on watching in English, but most Western viewers outside of those fandoms will expect it to be in English. It'll be more difficult to pick up new fans with just a Japanese voice track.

If it's on Adult Swim there will 1000% be an English dub.
Even so most anime viewers watch anime subbed these days, although there are a few who are still strictly watching dubbed.

I think a dub is still likely. Just because it hasn't been confirmed yet doesn't mean it won't happen. They haven't even recorded the JP VO yet.

Was there any benefit to announcing this months, if not years before release?
It's fairly standard practice for anime really, to use Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney as another example of game to anime series it was first announced in September 2015, and aired in April 2016. I might expect a longer wait this time though due to covid.

Thank you Switch! There was plenty of positive comments here such as:

We're attempting to portray the Yokosuka of Japan's Showa period, right down to those small details which aren't found in that kind of anime.

...we've spent a bit more on budget than for an ordinary TV anime to model lots of background characters and people on the streets.
Of course, my feeling first and foremost is that I want to make it appealing for fans of the game, so for the core voice actors I want to secure the same casting as the game as we move forwards......In addition, I'd like to make younger anime viewers who don't yet know Shenmue aware of the game, and my goal is for them to want to also try playing the game.
...The next thing I knew, they would be talking about Shenmue: "These parts are fun", "You've got to do the forklift!" and so on. Everyone would offer their commentary. [laughs] And then, I remember, everyone grew gradually more and more excited.

People used to normal anime creation, have said that they'd like to be part of the project, since they would be able to be involved with something epic, a proper drama, for the first time in a while.

After the announcement of the anime version, even through Twitter there was an enquiry from someone overseas saying "If Shenmue is to be made into an anime, I'd love to take part in making it." I've been in this industry for quite a while, but this is the first time I've experienced it. [laughs] I felt Shenmue's strength, one that's world-wide. That made me really happy.
And that's just the first half! I think this project is in safe hands <3

Definitely a meaty first half of the interview. I hope they manage to translate at least some of that special Shenmue 1 Yokosuka feeling from game form. I'd love to see them spend some time with the various NPCs (Yuriko and Kurita for example) so that Ryo's goodbye at the end is as poignant as it was in the game. Would be great to get a glimpse of Xuiying and Joy at the end of the first series.

Back