"No throws" speculation (how will it work?)

In free battle it sure wasn't a counter. I used it as an attack in Shenmue 2. If not blocked it worked fine. Only in that QTE vs stupid Do Niou if I got his name right, it did look like a counter.

Nah, in free battle, it was a counter, definitely. If it was an attack, you failed the timing. There's "Elbow Assault", which is what you were using and the "Counter Elbow Assault"' which was exactly like the cutscenes. But for that, you need to wait for the opponent to attack and do it within the right timing:

In free battle it sure wasn't a counter. I used it as an attack in Shenmue 2. If not blocked it worked fine. Only in that QTE vs stupid Do Niou if I got his name right, it did look like a counter.
Well you're missing out my friend cos you can indeed use it as a counter the same way it looks in that video, if you time it right.

The counter elbow assault in shenmue 3 looks like a concussive strike rather than what it should be, a counter.
I don't think it will ever look like this again until Shenmue 4 maybe, but i hope I'm wrong and you can still catch the opponents attack and render them immobile for a few seconds like Shenmue 2.

Looking at the B-roll footage, it seems it's not a counter move anymore, simply a elbow move. What a shame :/

Looking at the B-roll footage, it seems it's not a counter move anymore, simply a elbow move. What a shame :/
Machine translation, so your mileage may vary, but this was brought up in a recent interview:

By the way, isn't there a counter technique like "Takusaku Ryuyanagi"? When I played the trial version, I felt that the specifications of the “outer gate top elbow” had changed slightly. In "Shenmu II", it was a technique to catch the opponent's attack and bathe the counter as if you had blown out a doo cow that rushed in the last scene. Did that mechanism itself disappear?

Suzuki
:
 Depending on how the counter technique is defined, there is a directing action that takes an arm and fights back. However, the battle system is basically different from the past “Shenmu” based on Virtua Fighter, so it may be different from your imagination.

I have two interpretations on this. A.) even though the specific counter animation no longer exists, Ryo can still effectively dodge/block into a position to launch a counterattack, or B.) the specific counter animation DOES exist but as it's been reanimated it looks different...?

We'll get to see for ourselves soon enough, regardless. I don't particularly have a problem with scenario A, because it's still very much functional (if not moreso than the originals in some respects) even if some of the flair is gone.

Oh, and to stay on topic; a reiteration of why throw moves have been removed this time around:

When I tried out Shenmu III, I noticed that there was no motion from the grip such as throwing techniques and joint techniques. Is this a dare cut to focus only on traditional Chinese martial arts?

Suzuki
:
 That's not the case. Yuzuki Ryo is originally a Jiu-Jitsu user, so it should be appropriate to have motions such as grabbing and throwing opponents. However, this time I had to cut it due to development time and other reasons. It is a difficult decision.

The implication being Yu would like to bring them back for Shenmue IV:

As a fan who purchased “US Shenmue” in English as well as “Shenmu” and “Shenmu II”, I loved the throwing techniques and submissions that are unique to Uzuki-style Jiu-jitsu. In particular, I loved “Ura Uzuki” and “Musou Musou”. Please add by DLC like "Throwing skill pack". I expect it.

Suzuki
:
 Hahaha. I wonder if "Shenmu IV" will do. Instead, the Shenmu III battle system is characterized by RPG awareness. First of all, starting from getting technical books from various routes, it will become stronger by training them.

This technical system and the economic system are well-designed, so I think that you will have a taste as you continue to play. Please play to the end and compare with the old battle system.

Machine translation, so your mileage may vary, but this was brought up in a recent interview:

I have two interpretations on this. A.) even though the specific counter animation no longer exists, Ryo can still effectively dodge/block into a position to launch a counterattack, or B.) the specific counter animation DOES exist but as it's been reanimated it looks different...?

We'll get to see for ourselves soon enough, regardless. I don't particularly have a problem with scenario A, because it's still very much functional (if not moreso than the originals in some respects) even if some of the flair is gone.

Oh, and to stay on topic; a reiteration of why throw moves have been removed this time around:

The implication being Yu would like to bring them back for Shenmue IV:
Great Info there spag bowl, thanks, all that is quite telling. Hopefully counters are in.

I personally played only VF 3. It was fun. I liked the aikido lady the most. They all were cool though.

Well you're missing out my friend cos you can indeed use it as a counter the same way it looks in that video, if you time it right.
Heck I might replay 1&2 yet again. I was going to in November right before the big 19th, but what the heck.

Honestly I'm down that there aren't throw moves but to be fair, it's understandable, besides the amount of programming it takes to set the whole system up there are tons of troubleshooting you need to go through just considering environment and physics.

However someone made a good point that Hazuki style is based around Jujitsu so perhaps we'll get some awesome QTE questions instead during fights like Machine Gun Fist in S2.

Very interesting question. After the Gracie's made their version popular, even gave it their country name people assosiate Jiu-Jitsu only with throws and holds. It was a complete system. I've read an awesome book on the history of it. Karate as such is from Okinawa, and one huge step why IT became so popular was that it became a class in the Japanese school system. But Jiu-Jitsu is supposed to have kicks and punches. Shenmue didn't make that up. It's supposed to be complete with ranged and close up skills. I didn't study a ton of it, but about 5 moves or so we got taught by their black belt for a few months. One wrist lock is extremely dangerous. Almost broke someone's wrist. If he could just film a few wrist locks and cartoon them. It'd do the trick. Damn SEGA not letting him use his own long time created Virtua Fighter assets. Shenmue 1 really had so many of my favorite real life moves. Even from my wrestling days. Such a damned shame. I'll stop. Sorry for the rant in the end.

Back