Nonaka-san in anime?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
I watched the subbed version of episode 1 on Crunchyroll when it was first released, and was hoping they'd say that the old man with the glasses and suit with Ryo's karate team was Nonaka-san.

Here's a picture of the man:

For those who are unaware, Nonaka-san was Ryo's high school karate club instructor that was mentioned by Ine-san in a free quest conversation in the game.

The English subtitles for the episode don't have anyone refer to him by name, and the credits just refer to him as "Teacher". I didn't watch the English dub, but judging by the promos Ryo doesn't seem to refer to him by name in that version either.

However I don't believe the official English subs on Crunchyroll are accurate to the Japanese dialogue since even in a lot of the scenes they say the exact same things they say in the Japanese version of the games, but the subtitles are translated differently and seemed to be based off the dialogue for the dub of the anime mostly.

I also could have sworn that Ryo actually said "Nonaka" in the scene where he leaves his team to go home, but the subtitles don't say it! Does anyone have any confirmation that he actually said his name? It would be really cool to see if he's actually Nonaka-san, but I don't understand Japanese and the English subtitles really don't seem to be translated 100% accurately.

That's a great thought! I've just had another listen through to the Japanese audio for that section but Ryo only addresses him as "sensei" without any mention of his name.
Oh ok, thanks for checking! If he is in fact their sensei, then it's highly likely that he's Nonaka-san, but of course there's no confirmation.

Back