Nozomi aweful voice acting.

Yeah, these phone calls were incredibly disappointing (at least in English). Nozomi and Guizhang in particular don't sound or act anything like their Shenmue I counterparts and the English translations for these calls were screwed up as well.

They just did a literal translation of the Japanese script and didn't bother to check it for accuracy. How lazy can you be? How difficult would it have been to ensure that the Warehouse #8 password was correct and that Ryo and Nozomi call each other by their first names?!

It's so very, very wrong hearing Corey Marshall's Ryo refer to Nozomi as "Harasaki." And as others have said, her voice and demeanor is totally different. I didn't actually expect them to get her original voice actor to return but I expected them to have someone at least make an attempt at emulating the way she sounds in Shenmue I.

And why does the guy who answers the phone for Warehouse #8 sound more like Guizhang than Guizhang does? Should have just had him play Guizhang if they absolutely refused to have Eric Kelso involved in the project at all.

I thought the whole idea of these calls was nostalgia and fanservice, but they failed miserably at that. Some of the content in them was somewhat interesting and it was nice hearing Lisle Wilkerson as Joy, but the inaccuracies in the translation and in some of the characters' voices and personalities are unacceptable.
I agree, it was poorly made.
I didn't notice the password was wrong as well!
They could have save the trouble and let the person that do Shenhua do Nozomi. They both sound alike!

I agree, it was poorly made.
I didn't notice the password was wrong as well!
They could have save the trouble and let the person that do Shenhua do Nozomi. They both sound alike!
Yeah, I didn't even think about it until I read this thread but Brianna Knickerbocker definitely would have made a better Nozomi than whoever it was that played her in the phone calls. Hell, they probably could have gotten some fans to do a better voice match for most of the characters and they probably would have done it for free!

Somehow the password changed from "Father's Heaven - Nine Dragons, Mother's Earth - Comrades" to "Father Sky - Nine Dragons, Mother Earth - My Friend." How could they get this wrong? The phrase "Heaven, Dragon, Earth, Comrade" is a recurring thing throughout the first two games. What, now it's "Sky, Dragon, Earth, My Friend?" Ridiculous.

Yeah, I didn't even think about it until I read this thread but Brianna Knickerbocker definitely would have made a better Nozomi than whoever it was that played her in the phone calls. Hell, they probably could have gotten some fans to do a better voice match for most of the characters and they probably would have done it for free!

Somehow the password changed from "Father's Heaven - Nine Dragons, Mother's Earth - Comrades" to "Father Sky - Nine Dragons, Mother Earth - My Friend." How could they get this wrong? The phrase "Heaven, Dragon, Earth, Comrade" is a recurring thing throughout the first two games. What, now it's "Sky, Dragon, Earth, My Friend?" Ridiculous.

Yeah, I thought "My Friend," was odd sounding. I thought for a minute there, whoever, would suddenly recognize Ryo after saying that as if they're so close.

Back