Onimusha: Warlords HD

Has there been news on a European physical edition?

I ask because there was no news of the Resident Evil 4 5 & 6 ports, so I imported them only to find later as got them! I'm not sure if we got the Dead Rising transfers at all.

Also, has to be said, it's strange that they didn't go with a complete 1-4 collection, close to DMCs HD collection, but if they're putting the work into making the pre-rendered backgrounds in full he then this is absolutely worth it - Capcom has a seriously good track record already with their PS4 remasters, I have most of them and will certainly get this! - if there is a European physical edition!

Shame it’s supposedly not the Genma version. Really weird it’s not. Still, I’ll support it just to show there’s a demand for more Onimusha, one of Capcom’s most consistent series.

Jesus... yeah, I'll be buying the fuck out of this. The first game isn't my favorite, but if this could lead to the rest of the series going HD, count me all in.
Though I do have to say, the trailer shows off exactly why this hadn't already happened. Just like I always figured, the pre-rendered backgrounds pose a problem. They tried to touch them up, but they were never intended for widescreen. If anything, they just look kind of muddy and blurry now.
But whatever, it's still Onimusha.

Good god, though... they better include the Japanese voice track, like in the original release. I don't think I ever played it in English, and that trailer is the proof that I made a good choice on that. The English dub was shit, even for a 2001 game.

EDIT: Just checked the site, and it seems they're actually including an option to switch between widescreen or 4:3 on the fly. So that's really cool. I'll probably stick to 4:3, since widescreen literally just zooms and cuts off the top and bottom.

Polite pass on this.

I liked Onimusha and all, but I still have my PS2 copy and have a full plate till probably well after this is released. Maybe I'll get it discounted... who knows. Though.... why isn't this a trilogy collection like DMC was?

That said, I would much rather have seen Capcom reboot the Dino Crisis series with Regina. Just forget the third game ever happened and move forward from there.

Though.... why isn't this a trilogy collection like DMC was?
I would imagine it's mainly because they have no way of gauging how popular or unpopular the Onimusha brand actually is; they haven't released one in over a decade. Over a generation, actually (and a particularly long one, at that)
The DMC HD trilogy originally came out in 2012; only four years after DMC4, while the Ninja Theory reboot was scheduled for the year after. Devil May Cry was an active series when the HD versions came out, so they had some idea of how successful it might be.
With Onimusha, it's been 12 years since the last console entry (Dawn of Dreams) came out, and it wasn't even all that popular at the time (though it should have been; Dawn of Dreams is one of my favorite games of all time). The audience is way different now, the kids have never heard of it before, etc.
So I think I get why they'd start with just one game, and see where it goes from there. I'm kind of shocked it's even getting a physical release, to be honest.

Really, really hope this leads to more; it'd be nice to finally get the second and third games with a dual-language option (never understood why it was excluded, since it was in the first game to begin with), and Dawn of Dreams is pretty much the number 1 game I've always wanted to see a remaster of. It was just as big a step forward for the Onimusha series as RE4 was for the Resident Evil series, but Onimusha has obviously never been as popular as RE, so it never gets recognized for that.

I still thought releasing the 4-pack together would have brought in more appeal - Buying a singular PS2 game with mild popularity on PS4 is going to be a tough sale on it's own - rather than a trilogy/4-pack which offers bundles of content. This isn't as big as Resident Evil 4 or even Okami - Even if I like it more tbh.

I just hope they pull through an release the others. I currently already have the Gemma version which is backwards compatible on Xbox - I have the others on PS2... but no good way to play PS2 games on a HDTV setup.

If this is just the first Onimusha, I could imagine this doing poorly merely because the game is so incredibly short. Unless there is significant extra content, people are going to be upset.

^^Depends on the pricing, I would think. The REmake and Resi 0 sit comfortably on PSN and Steam for 20 bucks each; they're a bit newer and meatier than Onimusha, but not really by much. And in my own opinion, they aren't quite as fun to replay as Onimusha (survival horror tank controls vs. intuitive lock-on sword fighting). Checks and balances.
So yeah, I'd imagine somwhere in the 15-20 dollar range is reasonable enough. Capcom stuff is often on sale on Steam and PSN anyway, so I doubt many people are going to find themselves cheated.

Last edited:
Back